Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Family of 5 with one college students and two graduates

Jun 5th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi! We are a well traveled family of five trying for one last taste together. I know it sounds a little nutty but we only have five days (7/23-7/28) and want to go to Ecuador from Chicago area. We are prepared to grab a 1:40 AM flight that arrives Quito at 11:30. Our plan is to see Quito and then do a few days in the Galapagos. My question is...should we gut it out and travel right through to the Galapagos and hit Quito on the way out? As an aside, we did get to Machu Picchu and back in a similar amount of time and had a great time. Any other thoughts greatly appreciated!
Jun 6th, 2019, 12:09 PM

With that short a time, it sounds like you are going to go "land based". Do you know what you're going to do once in the Galapagos.? There may be a day boat or tour you can book if you find availability for your dates..not sure how likely that is at this date.
http://www.galapagosisland.net/galap...ased-tour.html

Most of your Galapagos flights are going to leave in the morning. I'm not sure you will find a same-day onward flight..have you looked? Allow a few hours to get through all the formalities, both incoming and outgoing to the Galapagos.. Probably need at least 4 hours.

You can spend a night near the Quito airport, take the first flight out the following morning. You would have a half day in Quito, which is probably enough anyways.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:18 PM.