Peru with teenagers in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I am trying to plan a trip to Peru with my 20 year old daughter and 16 year old son for 2 weeks in August (first two weeks). I understand the northern area is the best to visit at that time of year.

We'd like to do
1. the sand dunes in Ica
2. Cusco and Machu Picchu
3. Mancora Beach
4. Lake Titicaca

If anyone has done this before with teens, any advice would be appreciated!
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 03:37 PM

As you will see I have trouble offering advice on this type of question as much depends on what your children are interested in. We visited Peru in January with a 19, 16 and 12 year old. But the ages really don't matter as we all enjoyed the same things. We hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. That was quite an experience. But I am sure they will enjoy it if you take the train.

Lake Titicaca was enjoyable as well. You might want to look at the tours offered by an agency like Allways Travel.

http://www.titicacaperu.com/classic_sillustani.html

We took the half day tour from Puno to Sillustani. That was probably just as enjoyable as the boat tour to the islands. You don't say if you will be staying in Lima at all. I think it is certainly worth a day or two.

Outside of Lima we let them go off on their own. Especially with the ages of your children - they want to wander around at their own pace. Cuzco and Puno were nice places just to walk around.

We always guard against over planning. The areas you mention are so interesting they will enjoy just being there.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 04:27 PM

I can't imagine anyone not liking Machu Picchu On Lake Titicaca, we took a boat trip to the UROS island and Taquile...we were on the lake from 7am to 5pm....it's beautiful!