Discounted flights within Argentina

Old Jan 14th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discounted flights within Argentina

Hi,
I have been doing some research on flights from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls and cannot believe how expensive they are! I also read that if you book them online, but selecting Argentina as your country of residence (when in fact USA is my country of residence), the flights are more than 50% less. I went through the process to validate this, and it is indeed true. HOWEVER, wondering if anyone has taken this route and if they encountered any trouble??

Thanks!
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 11:26 PM

Argentina, and indeed a few other SA countries operate a dual pricing structure for air fares. Fares for foreigners ( aka tourists, visitors etc) are usually 50 -70% more expensive. We initially booked tickets using the Lan foreign site as residents but decided to change our tickets to as we were advised that we would not be allowed to board without as residents card or passport and would at best had to have paid the extra, or worse, buy another ticket. We spoke to other travellers who tried it and this was indeed the case.

Effectively it is just another tax on tourists who seem to be effectively subsidising travel for Argentine nationals. Unfortunate, yes and shortsighted definitely but that's the way it is. A cheaper alternative would be the bus. Even an Ejecutivo (first class) ticket would be only one third of the cost and you get a very luxurious lie flat seat, food etc. it obviously takes a lot longer but as the journey is scheduled overnight it is not eating into your vacation time AND you save on one nights accommodation.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:26 AM

I was also looking at this. Will it help if we buy the tickets once we are in BA since there seems to be plenty availability when we are going - Feb 15-22 and want to do a 1 overnight trip to Iguazu.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:11 AM

The way to get good prices on air tickets in SA in general is to buy early. The closer you get to a date, the more expensive a ticket is likely to be. But sometimes a local travel agent helps get you a better price and there have been people who have used this way for Argentina and posted on here. If you need flights and a hotel, it might be worth your while contacting an agent in Argentina.

The cheaper ticket prices for residents, a government mandate, are definitely not for non-residents and are limited in number per flight even for locals. Not every local's ticket is cheaper. Again, buying early is the way to get the best price.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 06:21 AM

Thanks Huentetu.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's responses!
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If yu fly to ARG on LAN you might get a lower priced ticket thru the LanPass
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 04:00 AM

The dual pricing structure for residents vs. visitors is not an Argentina only thing. This scheme is used in various countries in SE Asia, just to name one example.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:31 PM

Thanks Sr_Malbec. I know it used to be in India as well but that was in early 90s. Didn't realize Argentina will have it. Oh well, still gotta travel!