Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Direct flight Iguazu-Salta.Travelling first Argentinia than to Brazil? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/direct-flight-iguazu-salta-travelling-first-argentinia-than-to-brazil-842051/)

BAfor3months May 27th, 2010 12:08 AM

Direct flight Iguazu-Salta.Travelling first Argentinia than to Brazil?

Hi guys, I'll be in BA for 2 months from mid October 2010- mid December 2010 for a spanish course. After this I'm planning to travel 3 weeks with my partner through argentinia or/and Brazil.

1. We've already decided to see the iguazu falls and salta.
I was wondering if there's a direct flight now from Iguazu to salta? Checking the other topis I saw that Andes did offer this. But the topic ends in October 2009. Also checked the webpage and wasn't able to book it.

I was anyway wondering if you guys suggest, that I should book the flight, once I'm in BA myself. Or would it be too late in Ocotober to book a flight for December to Iguazu and to Salta?

2. We've counting with 5-6 days in Salta and 2 days in Iguazu. After this we still have almost 14 days left. I would love to end this vacation with relaxing on a (not touristic) beach the last 3 days.

Heard really good things about Ilha grande in Brazil. That's why I'm thinking of doing the second half of the vacation in Brazil, just after visiting Iguazu. But I'm a little bit afraid, that a)this would get more expensive, than staying only in Argentinia and b) that it will get stressful to do 2 countries in 3 weeks?

About beach places in Argentinia:
I heard about Mar de Plata, but guess this isn't the type of beaches I usually prefer. I also checked josé ignacio in uruguay or punta del diabolo. but sounds like this place is more a surfers place.

That's why I'm asking myself if we only should stay in Argentinia for the whole 3 weeks or go to Brazil, half half. What do you guys suggest?

thank you very much in advance!

MarnieWDC May 27th, 2010 03:33 AM

BAfor3months Hello,

Andes does indeed fly Salta-Iguazzu, and my understanding is that you should be able to obtain seats in October for December - but as you are getting into high season, you might prefer to do it sooner.

If you are US Citizens, you would need Brazilian Visas to visit there (including the Brazilian side of the Falls): It costs something over $US100.00. But as you will be in Argintina, and those Brazilian beaches soundlike what you are also looking for, it might be worth the cost to you. It was to us.

Be sure to have a Yellow Fever shot before you leave home - easy to do and Yellow Fever is devestating and without cure.

Have a wonderful 3 months. I envy you that.

~MarnieWDC

qwovadis May 27th, 2010 05:09 AM

Do Andes Air in advance with agents like

www.argentinaforless.com www.wowargentina.com

Sheraton on Argentina side falls view room best

Skip the Brazil Visa charge/hassle

and stay in Argentina for me plenty to do for 3 weeks...

Have fun,

BAfor3months May 27th, 2010 05:53 AM

Thanks guys, will check the links. We're from Switzerland, so guess there's no need for a visa as far as I know.

It's just, if you are looking for a nice beach finish of your 3 weeks travelling...seems like argentina or surrounding isn't the right place.

flintstones Jun 11th, 2010 10:16 AM

I wil add something for you to do in the NW.
Salta itself isd a beautiful toen and you will love to walk down the streets, visit its churches and admiring the buildings at night.
You can see the town from the HIll by taking the teleferico or climbing by foot.
YOu can also see San Lorenzo...
Purmamarca - Humahuaca - Tilcara and the salt flats.... Cafayate are the MUST SEE in the whole NW.
The Ministry of Toruism provides you of maps for free to do it yourself by renting a car or just taking a tour.
October is a nice time for Salta, but fo not forget to bring some jacket for the night and sun lotion, sun glasses and sport shoes to so some hike if you like.
Do not miss also at least one night at a pub on Balcarse Street.
If you need any specific information about the area do not hesitate in making all the questions you consider necessary.
Warm regards.
Flintstones.