Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Cusco Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/cusco-restaurants-936522/)

jdp867 May 25th, 2012 03:11 PM

Cusco Restaurants

We're down to our final trip details, and perhaps the most important--Dinner! We have two nights in Cusco before our trip to MP and one night upon our return. Our first night we planned on going to Inca Grill for Alpaca steaks. Our Mountain Lodges of Peru Tour group meets at Greens the night before the trek; what do folks here think about Greens. Recommendations for our third night? Cippolina gets great reviews but I'd prefer to eat local fare rather than Italian. The decor at Fallen Angel looks amazing but gets mixed reviews. Thoughts?

By the way, we're planning in having dinner at Astrid & Gaston in Lima. Is it as good as the hype?

mlgb May 26th, 2012 07:52 AM

Greens was one of the best restaurants I visited in Peru on my recent trip. Although the name might lead one to think it is a vegetarian restaurant, their alpaca was superb, no gamey or off flavors such as I had at El Albergue's restaurant earlier in the trip/

So I might skip Inka Grill and have the alpaca at Greens.

Limo is getting good reviews but I can't give a personal recommendation for that one.

Cyberia May 26th, 2012 08:09 AM

The best meal I had in Cusco, I dropped into a cafe and ordered chicken and chips. It turned up just a few minutes later and it was very good. And very cheap.

Susana78 May 28th, 2012 01:10 PM

In Cusco you can tray: Chicha by Gaston Acurio (local food with a great view).
Gaston is also the owner of Astrid & Gaston in Lima which offers peruvian and international food (french). Astrid & Gaston is one of the best options here in Lima and it's included in the top 50 of the best restarants of the world.

In Cusco you also have Incanto which is closed to the Cathedral. They have good international food, great wine and excellent service.

La Cicciolina is also an excellent option but as you say thay have Italian food with a couple of peruvian ingredients.

alterEgo May 28th, 2012 11:30 PM

it is a very good option

jdp867 May 29th, 2012 04:03 AM

Thanks all. Susana, we already made reservations at Astrid & Gaston for our last night in Peru and are excited to dine there. Thanks to all

crellston May 29th, 2012 09:43 AM

alterEgo - this forum is not for adverising your own website (and is actually counter productive)

Suru11 Jun 2nd, 2012 04:00 PM

We were in Cusco a few months ago and found that if you just walk off the square a few hundred feet or so, there are great restaurants everywhere. We found one on Calle Suecia which had excellent food and service and a 3 course meal for 15 soles. Sorry, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. We also ate at the Inca Grill and it was very good, but a little pricey. Anyway, we found it fun to walk around a little bit to check out the restaurants before deciding on something that looked good. Don't worry, everywhere we went in Peru, we had a great meal. Have a good trip.

Suru11 Jun 2nd, 2012 04:02 PM

We were in Cusco a few months ago and found that if you just walk off the square a few hundred feet or so, there are great restaurants everywhere. We found one on Calle Suecia which had excellent food and service and a 3 course meal for 15 soles. Sorry, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. We also ate at the Inca Grill and it was very good, but a little pricey. Anyway, we found it fun to walk around a little bit to check out the restaurants before deciding on something that looked good. Don't worry, everywhere we went in Peru, we had a great meal. Have a good trip.