Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Colonia or Tigre? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/colonia-or-tigre-895569/)

coxbox Jun 19th, 2011 02:31 PM

Colonia or Tigre?

Only have time for one.. in July.. what do you think???

Graziella5b Jun 19th, 2011 08:59 PM

Tigre offers a lot, you can take a catamaran or boat to go around, there are places where you can have lunch in the islands, and there are also nice little new restaurants.Colonia is more of a classic among tourists but in essence is a tiny little colonial town, a different country, ...the trip is more expensive. I would choose Tigre being careful to choose a good itinerary.
You can get to Tigre in a boat that links Puerto Madero with Tigre, or by land.

There is history in Colonia, a settlement that was conquered and lost several times by Portugal and then by Spain and vice versa. Tigre has also a lot of history because when the English invaded the River Plate at the beginning of the XIX and conquered Buenos Aires for a second time , it was the city of Montevideo under the command of Santiago de Liniers who defeat the British. Liniers with mixed forces of Buenos Aires line troops and Montevideo militia landed in TIgre and defeated the British. That is why Montevideo had the honor to be named by the Spanish MUY FIEL Y RECONQUISTADORA.... and one of the main streets of Tigre is called Liniers. In Tigre there is a beautiful colonial church were his wife and daughter are buried.

crellston Jun 20th, 2011 12:08 AM

Great summary of the two places from Graziella, although for me, I think Colonia just about has the edge. A very pretty, compact town with lots to see, some very good restaurants and very easy to get around (you can even hire golf buggies to see the sights and maybe get out to some of the beaches just outside town.
Somr photos of our time there:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...7680/tpod.html

Tigre was nice enough but did not really wow me. I did not realise that it was possible to get there by boat from Puerto Madero - now that would make a really good day out! Maybe ending up with dinner in one of the many good restaurants in PM. We went by train both ways stopping off at a small town on the way back (sorry, I cannot recall the name but it was a pleasasnt place to spend an hour or two).

Graziella5b Jun 20th, 2011 12:40 PM

In a way I am glad that crellston has pointed out more than one good reason in favor of Colonia. I left my personal favoritism for Colonia, since I was born in URuguay, because for me Tigre is a better option from someone already in Buenos Aires. But crellston points are very valid and at the end of the road it should be a personal choice.

MarnieWDC Jul 9th, 2011 08:01 AM

Crellston, might the little town have been San Isidro ? Actually an interesting and lovely stop on the Tren de la Costa, with a beautiful church near the town square and a weekend crafts fair which is also very nice. Adds to the pleasure of a day in Tigre.

I would take the boat trip from PMadero to Tigre as Graziella describes - enjoy the day in Tigre (with hat and mosquito repellent) then take the Tren de la Costa back, stopping off for a bit at San Isidro.

Enjoy your side-trip, whichever one you choose.

~MarnieWDC

avrooster Jul 9th, 2011 09:13 AM

I hereby move DC resident Marnie be named Chief DE for the Argentina forum, here and "elsewhere"! LOL!!!

BTW, I lived in San Isidro for about 30 years.

Have a great time in our country.

MarnieWDC Jul 9th, 2011 11:45 AM

Aw shucks, AVRooster, thank you for the compliment/confidence.

Suerte,

~Marnie

crellston Jul 10th, 2011 01:00 AM

Thanks Marnie, it was San Isidro! Avrooster - if I had known that you had once lived there I would have kept and eye out for the memorial plaque! lol

avrooster Jul 10th, 2011 03:49 AM

The memorial plaque is in the pipeline, crellston. LOL!!!

I hereby move crellston be named assistant Chief DE for this Argentina forum.

mgbok Jul 12th, 2011 06:59 AM

Oh, come now. You need another stamp on your passport don't you? Next time you are in BA you can catch Tigre easily. Likely it's not everyday you can get over the river. Dine well and try some Uruguayan wine, enjoy the history in Colonia, it's well documented. Get a tourist brochure and take the walking tour--see where the slaves were traded as you walk along the old walls of the once-walled city.

morewierd Jul 12th, 2011 05:58 PM

Tigre.....hands down! Have been to BA 3 years in a row......a total of 25 weeks.....and Colonia interested us the first year, although we never got there. After spending MUCH time reading feedback in the past 2 years.....you can get the "feel" in an hour! Now Montevideo interests me. But i plan on at least 3-5 days on our next trip!

You can take a bus boat to Tres Bocas to get the feel of the Delta.......you can go to the Tigre Art Museum if you are there Thursday-Sunday, have a good meal on the way to the Art Museum.......etc.

AVRooster...no wonder why we adore San Isidro...you left it with your personality,friend!

Hi, Marnie! Greetings from the Rockies.

avrooster Jul 13th, 2011 03:05 AM

Dear morewierd is kind of new here, but I also hereby move she be named First Assistant to Chief DE MarnieWDC! LOL!!!

MarnieWDC Jul 13th, 2011 04:33 AM

Not to worry, morewierd, my friend - I am an excellent Boss; just ask my husband !

Would you mention the name of the Tour you took to Tigre for this OP ? It might be just perfect for them.

My best,
~Marnie

avrooster Jul 13th, 2011 05:14 AM

Well I guess MarnieWDC has taken quite seriously her job as Chief DE for this Argentina forum! LOL!!!

As a patient husband, my heart goes out to Mr. Marnie! LOL!!

crellston Jul 13th, 2011 05:31 AM

Avrooster - thank you for the appointment. I look forward to working with my new boss (she sounds like fun!). I guess it is all around to your place for the annual staff party??

avrooster Jul 13th, 2011 05:36 AM

You got it!

Egg salad for everybody! LOL!!!

morewierd Jul 13th, 2011 01:00 PM

AVR: anything but egg salad!!!!!!!!

The first trip to Tigre was "on our own".
2nd trip: with Deltaventura.......great!
3rd trip: Safari Delta with Fernando. Got to see a lot of the Delta....but it's a small boat ad you "rock & roll" for HOURS.
4th trip: Delta Unplugged....just fab! But Ana and Ralph suspend trips from early May until Sept/Oct.
Unfortunately, BOSS, I am just not as detailed as you are.(sigh).
it's all in my head.
Abrazos to all.

MarnieWDC Jul 13th, 2011 01:31 PM

Not at all, morewierd. That was useful information; in fact, I am registering it for our next Tigre adventure - so Gracias.

~M

avrooster Jul 14th, 2011 04:01 AM

If our Chief DE is "registering it", it must be good info. LOL!!