Chile (SCL) Airport Help

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chile (SCL) Airport Help

Traveling to Argentina in December, but our U.S. flights are to/from SCL. Need advice before booking our SCL - BA flights. Two questions:
1) How much time should we allow on our return flight to 'connect' through SCL? (i.e., do we have to go through customs in Chile coming from Argentina?)...looking at an 8:30 p.m. arrival into SCL (on LAN) and then a 10:15 p.m. departure to the US...is that cutting it too close?
2) Will we need to pay Chile's $140 USD/person 'reciprocity tax' if we aren't entering the country (flying right away to BA, but on LAN...not sure if that involves a different terminal?)

Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 04:18 PM

You don't have to pay the fee if you don't leave the transit lounge. If you need to pick up luggage and check-in again, then you pay the fee before you do that. You have time for a connection, you simply find your new gate, but not to go through passport control etc.

It all depends on what airlines you are using and if they will tag the bags all the way through from the USA to Buenos Aires. Some airlines have agreements, some don't. If it is American Airlines there is no problem as they have an alliance with LAN.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM

So glad this got asked as I didnt realize this. I will be returning from Easter Island on LAN but had planned on picking up my luggage from LAN and rechecking in at COPA.

I assume now that I will have to pay the $140 to do this.

Do I need Chilean $$ or will USA work or can I use a credit card?

Thanks
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM

Easter Island to Santiago is a domestic flight. You pay the $140 only when you enter Chile at SCL on an international flight. The question is: Where and how are you first entering Chile?
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 03:58 AM

In Transit folks do not pay unless the "enter" Chile.U.S. citizens entering Chile must have a valid passport. U.S. citizens traveling to Chile for recreation, tourism, business, or academic conferences do not need to obtain a visa prior to their arrival to Chile. A Tourist Card will be issued for a stay of up to 90 days upon payment of a reciprocity fee, currently US $140. Currently, the fee is only charged at the Santiago International Airport. Payment can be made in U.S. currency or by credit card.

travel.state.gov Chile for a heads up on this...
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM

GAD! You are all so patient to explain this..over and over and over again!!!

I will enter Chile on a cruise ship into Valpariso. Transfer to Santiago for 2 nites then fly out to Easter Island. In 5 days return to the airport, switch carriers and then fly on to LAX.

So I take it I do not have to pay the $140 even though I will come thru customs, get my bags and then go recheck in at the COPA counter.

I do not want to check my bags from Easter Island thru to LAX just because I am switching carriers (from LAN to COPA) and if things get lost I will be nobody's child! Better to just start afresh and I have a 3 hour lay over so Im pretty sure there is time!

Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 12:39 AM

You don't pay the fee arriving by cruise ship and everything else is domestic.
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM

When you fly from Easter Island to Santiago, you won't go through customs at all. Easter Island is part of Chile just like Hawaii is part of the United States. No $140 fee.
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Yes but Jeff...wont I have to go thru passport control in order to claim my luggage? You do here! Passport control first THEN baggage......

I do understand that EI is part of Chile and all that...
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Not if it's a domestic flight. You just disembark from the plane and go get your bags at baggage claim. That's the way it is for a domestic flight in the U.S.
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 04:56 AM

A flight from Easter Island to Santiago is the same as a flight from anywhere on mainland Chile to Santiago. It is a domestic flight.
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM

OK Guys I totally believe you all know what you are talking about and I am greatly relieved!! You have saved me $140!!!

Thank you!

Thank you for your help and your patience!
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 03:35 AM

It'll be a great trip, Leanna. Enjoy!