Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Cartagena with a driver for a few hours!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone

My husband and I will be arriving in Cartagena end November on a small cruise ship. We are under no illusions that we can fully see, experience or visit Cartagena in a day, but it is what it is

Anyway, we have been fortunate enough to have been allocated a driver and car for 4 hours to go wherever we like. We have never been to Cartagena before and would be very grateful for any advice and guidance as to where to go and what to see - we love natural scenery and also architecture

After the 4 hours, we will still have until 7pm before we have to leave so we think the rest of the day should be spent on things we can do on our own without a car

Thank you all in advance
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 01:54 PM

With just four hours, i would just stay around the old town/ Getesemene. I can’t imagine that a car would be of much help there but a guide certainly would be. The place is packed to the gills with beautiful colonial architecture, natural scenery, not so much.
Too many to list, but sights include the Palacio de Inquisicion, museo Del Oro, the Catedral etc. The graffiti trail around Getsemene is worth seeking out. Some photos of our trip last year @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2016/07...lombian-coast/
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 04:34 PM

A driver would be useful to go up to the La Popa Hill which I thought was interesting. You might stop at the Bovedas if you want to do any shopping for souvenirs. Allow time for the old town which may have the old town streets closed off to auto traffic so that part you could do on foot, but how do you get back to the ship? I don't know if you want to be driven in to the "new city", to me not so interesting. There is a white sand beach called Playa Blanca that's about an hour from town.

Cartagena is very hot.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies
Our cruise line arranges a shuttle from the ship into the town - I am presuming the old town at this stage - and our driver will meet us at the ships shuttle and return us to the same place. The shuttle runs throughout the day
We will walk around the old town on our own - I like the sound of the graffiti trail
La Popa Hill sounds like a good idea