Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to visit Machu Picchu in early June. We plan to spend two days visiting Machu Picchu. The question is whether to stay our one night at the Sanctuary Lodge or at Inkaterra which looks beautiful. Of course we would like a nice room for the $$ at SL but it's more about the views and the convenience of being there early to see the sunrise in the park.
Some of my questions…

- Do you have a view of Machu Picchu from the lower end rooms?
- From the public areas?
- From the grounds?
- I've heard the sunrise may not be very dramatic due to clouds and surrounding mountains. Is seeing the sunrise over Machu Picchu with the effort to get there early by bus or worth the $$ if staying at SL?
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:40 AM

Hi, we stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge in 2012 and found it very convenient for early arrival at MP and also to come and go (we went back to the Lodge for the included lunch - with wine! and later for an ice cream snack). We got a good rate that was honestly not much more than Inkaterra (there were three of us which made pricing strange), so not sure how much it would be worth for that convenience.

Our room was nice. We had a pretty view, but not a postcard MP view.

Also - we got up early for the sunrise and it was a complete letdown. Just sort of a gradual lightening, and we could not even tell where to expect the sun to appear. Two years later, my son still complains that we dragged him out of bed for the most anticlimactic sunrise ever! We were there in June as well, so I suspect it will be similar for you.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 12:37 PM

I definitely vote for Inkaterra. I don't think its worth staying next to Machu Picchu once the sun goes down, and while I have not stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge, Inkaterra is a little paradise. I have heard the actual grounds are more beautiful and its smaller. There are fire places in every room that they light for you at night, a little porch area to sit and read. You can go on a nature walk in the morning. It doesn't offer Machu Picchu to you - but it is so dark so early, that Sanctuary Lodge only offers Machu Picchu for a limited time. I would do the lunch at Sanctuary and then Inkaterra for the night.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 07:27 PM

I agree with moosey. You're not seeing an actual sunrise so much as a gradual illumination of the ruins.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone. I think Inkaterra is getting all the votes.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 02:31 PM

We just stayed at the Inkaterra and it is a beautiful place (architecture, grounds). The food in the restaurant is excellent, as well. The only reason to stay at the Sanctuary would be to avoid the bus trip up to Machu Picchu the second day.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Sf7307- That's terrific. I think I made the right choice. Can't wait to get there. Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 12:25 PM

We will spend 2 nights at the Sanctuary Lodge in June. From what I've read, the advantage is not so much in the morning to see the sunrise because of the morning cloud cover, but rather the advantage is in the late afternoon after the day trippers have left on the buses. I'm looking forward to finding out if that is true.
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 01:06 PM

Day-trippers can also stay until the site closes, so there is not any advantage there.
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 01:57 PM

I think by "day-trippers," it means those who have come by train from Cusco or the Sacred Valley and are not spending the night. Those visitors have to leave the ruins by mid-afternoon to catch their trains.
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 02:09 PM

You are incorrect Jeff.

Whether one wants to merely go down by bus to the Inkaterra in Aguas Calientes, or catch a late train back to Ollantaytambo, day trippers have time to stay at MP until closing. There are trains that run from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo around dinner time, leaving enough time to stay until closing.

The MP site closes around 5:30 pm (they start sweeping from the fringes toward the exit). Train schedules can be verified at www.perurail.com and www.incarail.com . The 18:45 Expedition or the 7 pm Inca Rail train are good choices. For Peru Rail, it is recommended to be at the station 30 minutes prior.

Did this in 2012.
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 03:23 PM

You're right. Thank you, mlgb.

Still, the majority of visitors have left by mid- to late afternoon. Spending the night either at the Sanctuary Lodge or down in the village does give you an opportunity to experience a less hectic late afternoon at the ruins. There's no longer any need to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge to have that "exclusive" time. That used to be the case, but not these days.
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Yes, the mornings and afternoons are less crowded, but not deserted. I was surprised that there were still tour groups coming through after 3 pm.

As said, afternoons are not a reason to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge.