Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Can someone suggest a travel company/guided tour for SA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a 40-something woman wanting to explore SA (Patagonia/Chile/Argentina/Ecuador). I'm trying to find a solid travel group that is not for budget travellers, but also not for mature wealthy couples. I don't mind a little bit of camping...I absolutely want it to be active...but I also want decent meals, and not to have to worry about bringing a sleeping bag.

I looked at G-Adventure and Intrepid, but I'm turned off by their paltry meal plan. Perhaps this is standard fare? I don't mind dining out a few times, but I also don't want to be hungry.

Budget for land portion is $5000, which I'm hoping will cover at least 12 days.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you thought about going it alone? I looked at a few companies before my trip a couple of years back, but wound up going solo, with no problems. (Click on my name for my TR.)

I've traveled with Intrepid a few times, not sure what you mean about the meal plan. You might look at Adventures Abroad, I think they are a bit more upmarket.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you thursdaysd. I was under the impression that these guided tours fed you in addition to the rest. I wasn't aware that finding food was up to the traveller. I know of other companies that provide 3 meals per day, or so. I will check out Adventures Abroad.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:34 AM

No, the number of meals provided varies depending on the company. Personally I prefer NOT to have them all included. Breakfast is almost always included because it is included in the hotel rate.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I was under the impression that these guided tours fed you in addition to the rest. I wasn't aware that finding food was up to the traveller. I know of other companies that provide 3 meals per day<<

What they provide will clearly be explained in each tour's detailed itinerary. Me personally - I'd never EVER book a tour that provided every meal. Do you really want to eat every single meal in tourist traps.
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

janisj: The meals are had with the groups, who usually number around 10 ppl. I assume there are no restaurants in the hills of Patagonia, and most meals will be had at the inns or stops en route.

I agree that if the trip were in larger cities, trying different restaurants would be more authentic.

I found a couple of tour companies that I think will work. Their reviews speak volumes.
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 05:48 AM

"The meals are had with the groups, who usually number around 10 ppl."

Again, that depends entirely on the company. There are not a lot who take groups that small. Where in the "hills" of Patagonia are you going that you expect food to be a problem?