3 weeks in South America

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks in South America

Ok so my friend and I are going to travel to South America Jan/Feb and need a bit of advice on where to vist. We're thinking Rio must be in there and makes sense to do the Argentina/Iguazu Falls/Brazil piece. We would like to add in another country (maybe Peru) but we're not sure if this is optomistic given the vast size of Central America.
Also not sure about where to travel to/from as i've flights seem quite expensive compared to Asia.
The plans are really in the infancy stage so any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Pete
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 11:12 AM

I wouldn't advise 3 countries in 3 weeks. It's a huge continent.
Stick to the Buenos Aires-Iguacu-Rio route and add a bit on either the Argentina end, or to the Brazil end, perhaps a trip to Ilha Grande south of Rio or a flight to Salvador, Bahia.

" not sure about where to travel to/from"
How about a hint? Where are you departing from? Paris? Brisbane? Mumbai? Orlando?
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response! Will be travelling to/from London. I guess the question was more around where to fly in to to start and what's the best way to travel from Buenos Aires to Iguacu and then to Rio. Apparently there aren't a lot of trains so flying and overnight coaches are the best way although flights might be better given our short amount of time. Also do you know much about the package tours and if these are cost effective or is it quite simple to arrange your travels independantly?

Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 09:47 AM

The only practical way to travel to and from Iguazu Falls is to fly. It takes close to 18 hours by bus from Buenos Aires (compared with about 90 minutes by plane), and a guy I talked with at the Falls who had taken the bus said it was "horrible." And he was quite young and looked quite travel-hardened.

You may be able to fly from Rio to the Brasilian side of the Falls (or vice versa) and you can fly to the Argentine side from Buenos Aires.

As to where to start, depends on what you want to do and where you want to end up.

One part of Argentina I really liked was Salta and the area north of there (Jujuy Province and the Quebrada de Humahuaca). The Quebrada really reminded me of the mountain regions of Peru, which I love. So if you go there, you can have a little taste of what Peru is like.

You can fly directly to Salta from Puerto Iguazu Argentina and back to Buenos Aires. Don't know whether you can fly to Rio from there, but I doubt it.

OTOH, if I were to go to South America for the first time, I'd go straight to Peru. One of my favorite countries.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Personally.. having visited Buenos Aires for a 2 week stay that was totally not enough time, and then living in Buenos Aires for 7 years .. which was totally not enough time lol I think you really need to decide on what 2 places you Need to see to be happy and put the others on the Next Trip list.
You will be exhausted, not enough time for travel plus sightseeing and I just don't think it will be that enjoyable.
You also need to decide if you want a city holiday or what ... you will be spending time and money flying to see waterfalls .. you will be booking in and out of hotels .. time wasted .. buses rides .. more time wasted ..
see what I mean ?
You are naming places to visit that require flights hotels and $$ .. and you will be exhausted.
In my humble opinion, if you have 3 weeks to travel, choose 3 places to see/go.
Good luck with this, it is fun and a lot of work !