Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Brazil - Salvador, Rio and Sao Paulo, how to divide the number of days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read about the Tuesday night festivies in Salvador and would like to be sure I'm in Salvador on a Tuesday, in which case I'd fly Rio - Salvador on Monday just to avoid any problems with a flight delay, etc on Tuesday that would cause me to miss the events. My problem is if I do this I will have to remove a day from Rio and will only have four nights in Rio. I had planned on five nights in Rio orginally.

Is four nigths in Rio enough time for sightseeing? I don't plan on spending time at the beach, would like to tour the city independently and visit the sights. I will have three and a half days in Rio as my flight arrives early in the morning on the first day.

Is three nights, two full days enough time to tour Salvador independently? Again, I wouldn't be spending anytime at the beach, but would like to see the churches, historic architecture, etc.

Am I better off adding an extra night in Rio and flying to Salvador on Tuesday morning? I have read so many negative comments about Brazilian airlines in terms of flight cancellations and delays which is why I'm thinking of flying to Salvador on Monday.
If I do leave for Salvador on Tuesday morning, I'd fly to Sao Paulo on Friday (instead of Thursday) and won't be in the city during the week, the only two days I'd have for sightseeing in SP would be a Saturday and Sunday. From SP I will fly to Iguacu and that travel date (a Monday) isn't flexible as I will be meeting my travel companion there for the remainder of the trip.

Any advice on how to organize my Rio, Salvador, Sao Paulo portion of the trip will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Just to make things clearly these are my two options:-

First option:-

day 1(Thursday) Arrive Rio
day 2(Friday) Rio
day 3(Saturday) Rio
day 4(Sunday) Rio
day 5(Monday) Fly Rio - Salvador
day 6(Tuesday) Salvador
day 7(Wednesday)Salvador
day 8(Thursday) Fly Salvador - Sao Paulo
day 9(Friday) Sao Paulo
day 10(Saturday)Sao Paulo
day 11(Sunday) Sao Paulo
day 12(Monday) Sao Paulo to Iguazu

Second option

day 1(Thursday) Arrive Rio
day 2(Friday) Rio
day 3(Saturday) Rio
day 4(Sunday) Rio
day 5(Monday) Rio
day 6(Tuesday) Fly Rio - Salvador
day 7(Wednesday)Salvador
day 8(Thursday) Salvador
day 9(Friday) Fly Salvador - Sao Paulo
day 10(Saturday)Sao Paulo
day 11(Sunday) Sao Paulo
day 12(Monday) Sao Paulo to Iguazu

Which is better? I'm accounting for flight delays/cancellations, etc and treating travel days as days where I won't be able to do any sightseeing.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:50 AM

I would suggest taking a day from Sao Paulo, which is not a tourist city but a business one, and adding it to Rio (or Salvador). More time in Salvador would give opportunities for day trips. More time in Rio would give more time to let the flavor of the city soak in and (if adventurous) explore some more off the beaten path locations.
I personally have not experienced problems with flight delays in Brazil, over may trips, over many years.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Bahiana, my original itineary had me in Sao Paulo for one day. If I remove a day from Sao Paulo I'll only be in the city on a Sunday.

My paranoia about flights comes from many years of travelling, and having had experinced flight delays, cancelations, etc. On my most recent trip (not to Brazil) one flight was cancelled and the airline coudnt' re book passengers on flights for the same day. I had to travel by road to be able to continue with the rest of my itinerary as planned. The road journey was 13 hours long, I understand in Brazil driving distances will be much more between the cities I'm visiting and it's a large country to begin with. I do plan on booking flights in the mornings and I'm hoping I worrying over all this for nothing, but...........
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM

The museums, restaurants and shops in Sao Paulo will be open on Sunday. Embu shops are open too, if you want to do a day trip. I believe the Italian building and the other viewing tower (BANESPA?)are also open. Markets and shops in Liberdade are open. I can't think of anything else I'd want to do in S.P., but I am not a big fan. Other places on your itinerary I find much more interesting and much more worthy of the time.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, Bahiana.

I will add an extra day to Rio as the city has more to offer for tourists than Sao Paulo.

Just a quick note in case fodorites find this thread in the future and are planning on visiting SP, the Banespa building is closed on weekends, but the Italia Building isn't.