Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Bolivia and Peru in 5 weeks (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/bolivia-and-peru-in-5-weeks-1075298/)

Nenaoe Oct 7th, 2015 05:54 AM

Bolivia and Peru in 5 weeks

Hello good people from here!
I'm planning my trip to Peru and Bolivia in January. Though I travelled a lot in Asia, I've never been to Southamerica and thats why I would be very happy to get some tips and suggestions.

I'll be starting in La Paz and flying home from Lima, and I find it at the moment really difficult to figure out an efficient and enjoyable route. Maybe somebody here knows;) I have five weeks to spent.

The places I'd really love to see are:
Salar de Uyuni, Titicaca, Isla del sol, Machu Pichu, Cuzco, Huachachina

The places I' m not sure if they are easy to put in ( maybe the times too short?) but I'd also like to see:
Salinas de Mara, red beach, Hot Springs Santa Teresa, Canon de Colca, Iquitos

Would be great to know good routes, how to take the distances (bus or flight) and how long each trip takes, respectively how many days you would kindly recommend to stay in the places

Thank you a lot!

N

mlgb Oct 7th, 2015 03:52 PM

Basically La Paz
Uyuni
(side trip to Potosi and Sucre if things have settled down?)
Back to La Paz
Titicaca
Cusco
Sacred Valley including Salineras de Maras (I think that is what you are talking about), Ollantaytambo, Pisac
Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu
I think those are the hot springs near Aguas Calientes? Mixed reviews.

Then I would probably fly Cusco to Lima

Huacachina can be done as a round trip bus from Lima

If you want to add in Colca Canyon, one way would be to take the 4M Bus from Cusco. But it doesn't run every day and it's a long ride.

You could also do it just round trip by 4-M Bus from Puno (Titicaca) before going on to Cusco, probably just as easy.

For Iquitos you have to fly round trip from Lima, pretty much.

You may have too much for a month.

Do your own research on distances, bus rides, timings using Go2Peru website. The list the most common tourist buses.

For Bolivia allow at least a week. You may want to fly between La Paz and Uyuni if your budget permits.

sdtravels Oct 7th, 2015 05:59 PM

You may want to do the trip in the opposite direction depending on the altitude of your home. Even after time to acclimate, La Paz kept us winded.

mlgb Oct 7th, 2015 06:16 PM

If that isn't an option, you can start your La Paz stay at the south/east part of the city, which is lower in elevation. Although you will still need to take it easy for a few days, and might try to start Diamox before you arrive if that is okay with your Doctor.

If you survive La Paz and Uyuni you won't have any trouble with Cusco!

mlgb Oct 7th, 2015 06:20 PM

For help with Bolivia, Kanoo Tours is a good backpacker agency in La Paz. Good website also.