Search

Bolivia & Argentina itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolivia & Argentina itinerary help

Hi,

Here is the first draft my itinerary for a trip to Argentina and Bolivia.

I realise that my start point might easily also be Santiago instead of BA.

Initially, I would like to know how much time is required for the trip - I'm estimating about 22 - 26 days in total.

Arrive: Buenos Aires / Santiago
Mendoza
Cordoba
Salta
San Pedro de Atacama
Salar de Uyani
Potosi
Livichuco / Sucre
La Paz
Depart: Lima / La Paz

Would there be any benefit from taking in an estancia stay whilst in Argentina? Are these any good, or overly expensive?

Is the citadel of Quilmes worth a visit?
Do I do Livichuco and/or Surce?
Am I overlooking anything inbetween, that might be worth seeing/doing?
Is the cycle down death road something to experience?
I've been to both BA and Santiago before and have seen TdeP and the glaciers near el calafate.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, meant to add some more details on this before submitting.
I'm only starting to look into this trip and in regards to activities I am starting to look at that now. I like culture, history, people, and outdoors activities.
Not fussed on modern cities and suchlike.

There seems to be little tourism in Bolivia so I'm wondering if I should spend more time in Argentina and the fly to Northern Peru and work back down before departing from Lima (already done the gringo trail there).
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 12:36 AM

The tourism infrastructure is certainly less developed in Bolivia than in most other SA countries but that is part of its attraction. There is a lot to see in the country. We spent six weeks there last year and could easily have spent longer.

We enjoyed Chachapoyas and Trujillo in Northern Peru when we travelled down through Ecuador but is is a bit out of the way in the time you have available.

I much preferred BA to Santiago as a city and would use that as a base. I can take or leave. Mendoza and would add the time to Salta and drive a circuit of the NW ( takes around 5-6 days) - beautiful scenery.

Sucre is a nice city but not too sure about Potosi as we only passed through en route to. Tupiza. I think the main reasons for going there are the colonial centre and the mines.

I would be inclined to head north from Salta and cross the border at El Quiaca/ Villazon and carry on to Tupiza from where you could take your tour to Salar de Uyuni. After that I suppose you could go to San Pedro but it is much the same scenery as Uyuni and much more expensive. Alternatively, you could return to Tupiza and go on to Potosi and Sucre from there.

What time of year are you planning on travelling?
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm planning on travelling Nov/Dec time as I want to be at Salar de Uyani when there is water in order to see the mirroring of the sky - seems more interesting than in its dry state.

To be honest, a lot of this itinerary is based on looking through Intrepid group tours and picking out what seems interesting, so I am open to suggestions.

Just seen the other thread about the guy from NZ getting shot in Mendoza - maybe I should leave it out!
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Here is my draft itinerary from my travel agent. I am a bit ambivalent about it as apart from Uyuni there is no stand out parts of the trip from first glance.
I intend to spend around 25 days on tour so I have another 10 days to play with. I would like to minimise the travelling if possible yet still see as much as possible (a bit of an oxymoron). However, rather than concentrating on the larger towns I would like to get into the smaller places.

Is there anywhere in Central Argentina that I should consider. It would be nice to go to an estancia (sp?) for a few days if cost was not prohibitive. Small towns & villages appeal too. I can’t believe that I’m not passing by some nice/interesting places between the big towns & cities I am staying in.

Any suggestions?

Day 1: Buenos Aires
Day 2: Travel to Cordoba - city tour
Day 3: Cordoba - Villa Carlos Paz
Day 4: Travel to Mendoza
Day 5: Mendoza - Wine Valley tour
Day 6: Travel to Salta
Day 7: Salta - Quebrada de Humahuaca
Day 8: Travel to San Pedro
Day 9: San Pedro - TATIO GEYSIRS & PURITAMA HOT SPRINGS
Day 10: Travel to Uyuni - HITO CAJON- GREEN LAGOON - RED LAGOON - OJO DE PERDIZ
Day 11: Uyuni - OJO DE PERDIZ - UYUNI SALT FLAT - COLCHANI
Day 12: Travel to La Paz
Day 13: La Paz - City Tour
Day 14: TIAWANAKU
Day 15: Depart
Old May 30th, 2014, 08:08 AM

The buses between Salta and San Pedro de Atacama do not go every day.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi - yes I am aware of that and intend to plan correctly for this.

Any ideas on how to improve the itinerary?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:30 PM

My comments would be the same as crellston's.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 07:05 AM

BTW November/December may still be too early for reflections. That is just the start of the rainy season for Uyuni. I went late Nov/early Dec and nothing had yet hit the ground, although we saw dark clouds and "phantom rain".
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:28 AM

In addition to my previous comments, which still stand, if you are not keen on cities, I would just fly from BA to Salta and spend the time saved to rent a car and drive around the NW region. This area has the has the small towns and villages you seek, Cachi, Chicoana, Purmarca, Huamahaca etc. If you want a want to take a wine tour, do it in. Cafayate.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 05:44 AM

"Would there be any benefit from taking in an estancia stay whilst in Argentina?"

Definitely! Using Buenos Aires as a base, this can easily be done as a 1-day side trip. The area around San Antonio de Areco is where we went and spent a wonderful day at Estancia El Ombu http://www.estanciaelombu.com/eombu.htm

Old Jun 15th, 2014, 01:39 PM

I agree with Crellston. My favourite area was northern Argentina, Salta and area deserves a few days for sure and then we went to the Salt Flats and stayed in Purmacara which we loved. I have a trip report if you click on my name. I was happier the further north I went, but my husband loved Buenos Aires, so it depends on what your interests are.
The closer to Bolivia the more 'cultural' the experience I suppose for me.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
I'm thinking about this even more now as I need to get it resolved.

I am begining to wonder about the inclusion of Mendoza and Cordoba. Both seem like nice enough places in their own right, but I *think* I would like to stay somewhere in the central pampas for a while or as suggested go to a small town and send some time relaxing, day trips, hiking, cycling, horse riding etc and be based in one location rather than hotel hopping.

Are there any suggestions for this?

Secondly - an interesting point was brought up about San Pedro de Atacama. Is there any point going here if I am going to Uyuni?

I like the thought of an Estancia stay, but most I've seen are overly expensive and a bit more upmarket than I require or feel comfortable with.

Is Rurrenbaque worth adding to my itinerary - I've been to the Amazon in Peru (Puerto Maldonado).

I'm conscious that my itinerary flies me from BA to Mendoza to Cordoba and then onto Salta. Are these towns really worth going to? I don't want to miss anything, but I'm not abig wine drinker and like the outdoors.

I am wondering if it would be better to fly into Santiago and then do something in the Andes before going to Salta or Cafayate.

Struggling to see what there is to do in NW Argentina in order to kick off my trip.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Firstly, here is a link to my blog. Last year we travelled a route similar to that you are contemplating but in reverse. http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/6/tpod.html

Entries 23-36 cover most of the places you are contemplating.

If it were me, and I do appreciate that everyone has different travel priorities, I would not bother with. Mendoza or Cordoba.

If starting from BA then there are a number of estancias close to the city which would be easier and less time consuming than going via Cordoba or Mendoza.

In the time you have available, I see little point in visiting both SPdeA and Uyuni as the scenery is much the same ( I.e. Both are jaw-droppingly amazing.).

NW. Argentina has some stunning scenery the equal of anywhere I have been in the world, so much so that I have been twice. The best way to see the area is to rent a car and self drive. If you are travelling alone then this may not be the best option. Another would be to hire a driver/ guide or, I suppose it is possible to do by public transport, or, by day tours from Salta. There are plenty of places to hike, ride, hire bikes.

From Salta you could then get the bus to the. Bolivian border at El Quiaca / Villazon and then on to Tupiza - Butch Cassidy country and another great place fro hiking riding etc.

You could then get your tour organised from Tupiza, the main advantages being that the tours are generally considered better quality than many in. Uyuni itself and because you are travelling in a different direction, you will visit the sites when they are less crowded. I would recommend the 3 day 4 night tour.

From Uyuni you could bus or fly to La Paz, itself worth a couple of days and maybe a couple of side trips or; get the bus to Sucre via Potosi. Sucre is a beautiful city. We spent a week there but had more time. Form there you can fly or bus to LP.

I really enjoyed Rurrenabaque and Madidi NP amazingly unspoilt but if you have been to the Amazon in Peru I am not sure it is worth the effort of getting there. Have you thought about Lake Titicaca and Copacabana/ Isla del Sol.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi crellston - firstly thank you for such a detailed reply. I appreciate you taking the time to write it.

I'll be travelling alone so I don't think I'll opt for hiring a car.

So, we both are thinking of dropping Mendoza and Cordoba? What is there to add? Salta? Can you recommend a nice estancia that is not style over substance - and not overly expensive?

BA - Salta - Villazon - Tupiza - Uyuni - Potosi - Sucre - La Paz

Is that your suggestion - anywhere else?

I've been on Lake Titicaca and stayed on Armantani Island - and done a day trip to Isla del Sol.

Thanks.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 07:01 AM

you are very welcome Funky

if you don't want to rent a car then the only alternatives for are to hire guide to drive you around the region which is likely to be expensive is it is just you, or to find a tour operating out of Salta. I can't help with the latter as i try to avoid organised tour wherever possible, but we did come across a couple of tours en our last trip. Angie, who post here as Flintstones is a guide and may be able to advise on costs of a private tour. public transport may also be an option, or maybe Salta is not for you.

I am the last person to ask about estancias. i have never had a harmonious relationship with our equine friends and after my last experience in Bolivia, i vowed never to sit on one again!. orlando_vic above has already suggested an estancia to you and i would be guided by his advice. you could also use the forum search box, top right to search for estancia. BA would seem to be the logical place to do this.

one other thought is to include a trip to Iguazu which could easily be done from BA and then fly or bus from Iguazu to Salta. I am nt sure whether flights happen every day but it is preferable to the 20 odd hours on a bus.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 08:11 AM

I would not bother with Cordoba either. My least favourite place I think. Nice enough city but not very exciting IMO Salta was WAY better.
My order of my preference

Salta, Purmacara on the way to Tupiza, Uyuni and Sucre.
I also have a trip report of this same area if you click on my name. We were there a few months ago.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Okay - here is my actual itinerary.

As discussed above, I'm thinking of removing Mendoza and Cordoba as the areas do not look appealing to me and also it will save me costs on internal flights. Also, I need to reconsider the hotels as I think they are mostly top end - which is not necessary for me . Although, do comment on them if you know of them!

Can you please comment on this detailed itinerary saying what is good, bad and what it is missing in terms of sights, activities and places. I get the feeling that I'm missing out on some rural places off the gringo trail which might appeal to me.

One day has to come out of the trip for cycling Death Road. Just not sure what else I'm missing. I'd be very grateful of feedback on this initial draft of my itinerary:

DAY 1: BUENOS AIRES:
Arrival
Overnight at Monserrat Apart Hotel

DAY 2: BUENOS AIRES/CÓRDOBA
Flight to Cordoba
City Tour Excursion
You will be taken to the City tour including the most important points of the city. You visit the historical city centre, composed of San Martín square, the Town Hall “Cabildo” and the
Cathedral. Then you arrive at Nueva Córdoba neighbourhood, with its cultural centres, such as the Provincial Arts Museum Emilio Caraffa, the Fine Arts Museum Evita Perón and the
elegant “Paseo del Buen Pastor” The tour ends at the famous “Manzana Jesuítica”, the Jesuit Block, declared World Heritage Site, with its church “La Compañía de Jesús”, the chapel
of the “Virgen de Lourdes”, the antique University, currently a museum of the history of UNC, and the traditional Monserrat college. Return to the hotel.
Overnight at Merit Gran Hotel Victoria.

DAY 3: CÓRDOBA
Villa Carlos Paz Excursion
Departing from Córdoba, passing through La Calera, the hydroelectric plant and San Roque Dam, the oldest in the province. Then you come to the city of Villa Carlos Paz, one of the
most popular tourist city of the province of Córdoba, we will visit the famous cuckoo clock and then the old center, new center visit until you get to the chairlift which is optional .
Overnight at Merit Gran Hotel Victoria

DAY 4: CÓRDOBA/MENDOZA
Flight to Mendoza
Overnight at Urbana Suites Hotel

DAY 5: MENDOZA
Central Valley Wine Route Excursion
Mendoza is one of the world capitals of the Malbec wine. This tour will go around two collards in the heart of the Central Region of Mendoza that comprises: Maipu and Lujan de Cuyo.
In this area there are several types of grapes: Criolla Grande, Moscatel Rosado, Cereza, Bonarda, Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, among others. If we mention the advantages of this
region, we could say: there are plenty of lands, the youth of the vineyards and the agro-ecological characteristics that have proved to be optimal for the growth of the grapes of
high quality.
Overnight at Urbana Suites Hotel

DAY 6: MENDOZA/SALTA
Flight to Salta
Overnight at Del Vino Boutique Salta Hotel.

DAY 7: SALTA Quebrada de Humahuaca Excursion
This is a trip along the Gorge that was declared World Cultural Heritage by the UNESCO because of the colorful landscapes and cultures that make up this one-of-the-kind destination.
The tour will actually begin in the Purmamarca Village where you will be able to look closely at the well-known Seven Colors Hill, the town Church and the Craft Market located around
the square. Then the vehicle will head northwards up to Tilcara town, where there will be a stop so as to visit the old Pucara (Fortress in Quechua language) and the Archeological
museum before arriving in Huacalera; that place exhibits a wonderful landscape in a hill named “the skirt of the Colla woma” due to the shape it has. The next point is Uquia, with its
church located just before the town of Humahuaca and hre, you will get off the vehicle so as to visit the monument to the Native Indian made by the artist Soto Avendaño. After lunch
and heading back to the south, it will be possible to admire the hill nicknamed “the Paintor´s Palette” just on the side of the town Maimara. There will be stop in the city of San Salvador
de Jujuy in order to visit the Cathedral which exhibits an amazing piece functioning as a pulpit and that was made by the sculpture Lola Mora. You will return to Salta along the old
road by a cliff and framed by exuberant subtropical vegetation until the arrival in the city of Salta. Overnight at Del Vino Boutique Salta Hotel.

DAY 8: SALTA/SAN PEDRO
Bus from Salta ti San Pedro de Atacama.
Overnight at Altiplánico Hotel.

Day 09 San Pedro de Atacama
TATIO GEYSIRS & PURITAMA HOT SPRINGS (9HRS)
Departing around 4:30 am (departure time depend of the time of the year), from the hotel to the Geysers del Tatio located at 98kms from San Pedro and at 4.300 mts.
We arrive at the geysers around 7:00am. Enjoy a picnic style breakfast and a guided stroll through this geothermal field to see the geysers and pools of boiling water and mud.
The area takes on an almost surreal look at sunrise. Once the sun has risen and the thermal activity is calmed somewhat, we move to the area of the hot springs for a rejuvenating
soak in 40°C water before beginning the return trip towards San Pedro. On the way back we visit the Puritama Hot Springs and the opportunity to enjoy these warms waters that
emanate from beneath the rocks and surrounding vegetation. Puritama was developed by Hotel Explora and has been equipped with change rooms, toilets and sauna. After time
to enjoy the facilities offered by Puritama we return to San Pedro de Atacama. Recommendations: comfortable shoes, sun glasses, sun screen, mineral water, warm clothes, cap,
clothes according to the weather in the altitude. **Entrance fees and box breakfast included
Overnight at Altiplánico Hotel.

Day 10 San Pedro de Atacama
Transfer from the selected hotel to Hito Cajón (Bolivian Border).
Uyuni
DAY 1: HITO CAJON- GREEN LAGOON - RED LAGOON - OJO DE PERDIZ Depart from Hito Cajon (border between Chile and Bolivia) and enter to the National Reserve of Andean
Fauna Eduardo Avaroa and visit the Green Lagoon, an impressive aquatic mirror that resembles a giant emerald with a particular brightness in the mornings and afternoons;
its color is due to the high magnesium content in the water. In the proximities of this lagoon is the Licancahur Volcano (5,868 m). Continue to Sol de Mañana (Morning Sun) a
place where it is possible to appreciate fumes, geysers and volcanic holes. This landscape remains us the origins of the earth. The next stop will be the Red Lagoon, populated
by 3 species of flamencos (among them the famous James) this lagoon is very impressive because of its red color, that is due to the fine sediment accumulation of the same
color on the surface, as well as the pigmentation of a certain type of seaweed. Box lunch. Continue the journey crossing the Siloli desert where passengers will be able to
appreciate an interesting rock formation well-known as Stone Tree, and observe the llamas, vicuñas and particular rodent denominated viscacha. Arrive to Ojo de Perdiz.
Accommodation at Hotel Tayka Del Desierto.

Day 11 Uyuni
DAY 2: OJO DE PERDIZ - UYUNI SALT FLAT - COLCHANI
Breakfast. Depart towards Uyuni Salt Flat and Incahuasi Island, this island is located in the heart of the salt flat and is the greatest of a group of islands that represents an
isolated ecosystem. The island is populated with a cacti species that measures up to 12 meters high (26, 25 feet), providing an impressive overview.

Arrival to Uyuni. Transfer to the salt hotel.
During the rainy season, from November to March, the salt flat could be flooded - in that case passengers will visit the train cemetery, the Colchani village where it is
possible to observe the extracting salt process by hand. Visit the salt eyes, impressive for its geology and cross the salt flat as much as possible to enjoy a beautiful landscape.
The entire salt flat is completely cover with water and it becomes in a white giant mirror where the sky is reflected perfectly and everything seems to be floating in the air.
This scenery is a paradise for photography lovers because of the effects that can be achieved.
Box lunch is served in the middle of the salt flat. It is advisable to wear sandals to enjoy the warm water of the salt.
Accommodation at Hotel Luna Salada

Day 12 Uyuni
DAY 3: COLCHANI-UYUNI
19.00 Bus from Uyuni to Potosi.
Potosí 00:00 Transfer from the bus station to your hotel.
Overnight at Colonial Hostel.

Day 13 Potosí
CITY TOUR IN POTOSI AND CASA DE LA MONEDA (HALF DAY):
You will visit the most important and interesting places of the city, which was declared UNIVERSAL HERITAGE OF MANKIND by UNESCO. You will visit San Lorenzo Church where
you will appreciate its beautiful façade, Casa de la Moneda Museum, the exterior of the Tower of Company, the exterior of the Arch of Cobija and the artisans market in the
colonial area of the city.
Overnight at Colonial Hostel.

Day 14 Potosí
17:00 Bus to Potosi to Sucre. Shared Service.
Sucre 20:00 Transfer from the bus station to your hotel.
Overnight at Villa Antigua Hotel.

Day 15 Sucre
CITY TOUR IN SUCRE AND JATUN YAMPARA (FULL DAY):
Visit to the House of Freedom Historical Museum or the Textile Asur Museum, the Convent of La Recoleta Museum and its viewpoint, the Convent of San Felipe Nery, Bolivar Park
and the main historical monuments. Lunch in a restaurant. The excursion continues visiting Jatun Yampara Community one of the most ancient cultures of the continent. You will
observe the process of making ceramics and textiles. Then you will visit the community's Museum of Native Clothing, and appreciate their archeology, agriculture and their
Medicinal Herbs exposition. You will observe the native constructions and their customs. You will participate in a typical offering to Mother Earth. Return to Sucre.
Overnight at Villa Antigua Hotel.

Day 16 Sucre
Bus to Santa Cruz
Overnight at Los Tajibos Hotel.

Day 17 Santa Cruz
F/D SAMAIPATA RUINS
Sightseeing: The most important example of stone architecture in the American Continent. The Samaipata Fort is located 120 Km. west of Santa Cruz. We will visit the Cuevas
waterfalls on the way and then ascent to the archaeological region of the millennial haven of the Bolivian East and one of the most important in America: the Archaeological
Complex and Ceremonial Temple "The Fort" that was inhabited by diverse pre-Columbus cultures, such as the Amazon and the Inca civilizations. After lunch in a local restaurant,
we will visit the town, the church and the archeological museum. Service Includes: Private transport, bilingual guide, lunch, refreshment, admission fees.
Overnight at Los Tajibos Hotel.

Day 18 Santa Cruz
Flight to La Paz
Overnight at Europa Hotel.

Day 19 La Paz
CITY TOUR AND THE MOON VALLEY (3 HOURS):
You will be picked up from the hotel to visit the famous Witches Market and the San Francisco Colonial Church. The tour will continue to Plaza Murillo where the Cathedral,
the Government Palace and the National Congress buildings are located. Then, you will visit the famous colonial Jaen Street where you will see interesting museums, followed
by a visit to a replica of the semi-subterranean temple of Tiwanaku’s Culture. To change scenery the tour will continue to the residential areas of Obrajes, Calacoto and La Florida.
The tour will end with a visit to the unique Moon Valley, where you will have the opportunity to walk around, and visit a ceramic workshop where you will see a demonstration of
the pottery's art.

Day 20 La Paz
TIAWANAKU (8 HOURS):
At proper time you will visit Tiwanaku Ruins located at 72 Km. from La Paz, capital of the civilization of the 700 B.C. , during that great time, the Capital of Tiwanaku was the largest
in the world and considered “The Cradle of American Civilization”. This pre-Inca ruins started endless archeological debates and the oldest radiocarbon test shows a result of 1,580 B.C.
Visiting the Temple of Kalasasaya (Sun), the Puerta del Sol, Semi-subterranean Temple (Earth), the Pyramid of Akapana, Puma Punku Temple and finally the museum where an
impressive collection of objects and instruments observed ancient civilizations.

Day 21 La Paz
F/D ROYAL MOUNTAIN RANGE
Depart to visit Chacaltaya Hill (5345 m.), at one hour from downtown La Paz. At an altitude of over 5000 m. On a clear day Chacaltaya offers a breathtaking view of the high plateau,
neighboring peaks and Titikaka Lake. Then we head for Zongo, on the way we pass several lagoons, all of them at the foot of the spectacular Huayna Potosi Mountain. We will visit
an ancient Aymaran cemetery where local miners were laid to rest. We will enjoy the landscape of the ice covered summits and waterfalls, until arriving to the platform with
sensational views all around. Service Includes: Private transport, box lunch, water, bilingual guide and admission fee.

Day 22 La Paz
TITICACA CATAMARAN DAY CRUISE LA PAZ - LA PAZ
Early land transfer to Copacabana’s Sanctuary, after breakfast we board the Catamaran Cruise Ship, sailing to the Sun Island, birthplace of the Inca Empire.
In this legendary island is visited the Garden, Stairs and Fountain of the Inca, then the itinerary includes a visit to the Inti Wata Cultural Complex, the largest private tourist attraction
of Bolivia, including the underground museum of Ekako, the traditional medicine and the Titicaca Reed Shipbuilders display centers, the Pachamama agricultural Inca terraces, a
handicraft center, the Intica’s lounge and at the Manco Kapac look out of the largest Andean camelids.
Also, the Inti Wata Complex of Sun Island includes a unique sailing experience aboard a huge Titicaca traditional vessel for a panoramic visit to the Pilkokaina Inca Palace.
Afterwards board the Catamaran Cruise Ship to Chúa Harbor while enjoying a lunch buffet, land transfer to La Paz.

Day 23 La Paz
YUNGAS-COROICO (DAY 1):
You will be picked up from the hotel to visit the subtropical area of Yungas. From the highest point of the journey known as “La Cumbre” (4650 m.s.n.m.) you will observe some
snow-caped peaks and a twisting road. You will continue the trip descending gradually towards the subtropical area surrounded by changing vegetation. Along the way you can
observe giant ferns, American bamboo and several species of local orchids. After a 50 Km. journey, at the end of the paved road, the scenery becomes more interesting: hulking
rocks, waterfalls and ever greener vegetation, getting around an area of fruit trees, coca plantations, coffee plantations and a variety of butterflies species. You will arrive to
Coroico approximately at 11:30, straight to the hotel, where you will get your room and have lunch. In the afternoon, you will go for a walk around Coroico town, a small tourist
village characterized by the presence of descendants of Africans. Later, you will go towards the “Calvario”, a viewpoint where you will enjoy magnificent views of the town and
also of the Yungas region.
Dinner and overnight stay in a rustic top tourist class hotel.

Day 24 La Paz
YUNGAS - COROICO (DAY 02):
After breakfast departure to the Waterfalls area for a walk amidst the lush nature and warm weather; visit to coca plantations, coffee and fruit trees.

Day 25 La Paz
Home
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi, does anyone have experience of any of these places?
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 09:32 AM

I presume that a travel agent has created this itinerary for you? Everyone has their own style of travel and for me, there is way to much crammed in to the time you have available. But if you like rushing around and are happy with a high proportion of your time spent on the road then fine.

As I have said before, I would miss out Mendoza and Cordoba in favour of spending more time in NW Argentina.

Samaipata was interesting but Santa Cruz was just another big city with little to commend it IMHO. It is a long way to go to just for Samaipata. Most people will visit either en route to the jungle, as we did or to do the Jesuit Missions circuit.

I really like Sucre as a city and we stayed there longer than planned

Copacabana is consider a bit touristy by some but I liked it. Isla del Sol was a nice half day cruise but I. Was glad we did not spend the night as that would have been too much time there. We did find it to be a little to touristy and not the mystical island described by some. It take a around five hours yo get there from Lp but the drive is spectacular. One of the best bus journeys I have taken anywhere in the world ( and there have been many.

Chile - many people visit both San Pedro de Atacama and its environs as well as Uyuni ( we only passed through SPdeA en route to the coast. What we did see was undoubtedly impressive but I felt that it was probably much the same as what we had just seen in Salar de Uyuni. We were really happy with the 4D3N tour to Uyuni. The Salar itself is but a small part.

Two nights in Potosi seems like overkill

Didn't make it to the Yungas or Corioco so can't really comment but people we spoke with on our travels certainly enjoyed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -