Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Best way to get from airport in Santiago to Ibis hotel in Valparaiso (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/best-way-to-get-from-airport-in-santiago-to-ibis-hotel-in-valparaiso-1467920/)

baladeuse Aug 24th, 2017 07:30 AM

Best way to get from airport in Santiago to Ibis hotel in Valparaiso

We will be arriving in Santiago at about 6.pm and our plan is to go directly to Valparaiso, where we've booked the Ibis hotel for two nights, before returning to Santiago. There'll be three of us with small carry-on suitcases. Should we use public transportation or book a car to travel to Valparaiso? Or should we consider cancelling our hotel and staying in Santiago for the first night instead? Are there safety issues to consider with traveling late in the evening? Would appreciate any advice from the Chile experts.

Huentetu Aug 24th, 2017 07:56 AM

If there are three of you sharing the cost, then a private transfer would be best/safest. This should run somewhere in the region of USD$150 per car. It can be booked at the airport or in advance through Transvip. They have a website. Takes 1.5-2 hrs.

To get public transportation, take an airport bus (Turbus or Centropuerto) toward the city. The first stop should be Pajaritos bus/metro terminal. Get any bus to Valparaiso from there. About 4 bus lines pick up passengers there. At he bus station in Valparaiso take a taxi to the hotel. You can get there by public transport but I would not do it at night.

Arguments against public transport:
Disorientation after a long flight.
Not familiar with using intercity buses in home country
Bus stations - you need to be at your most alert. Don't get distracted and keep your hands directly on your things.

You will need cash Chilean pesos for the buses and taxi. There are ATM machines at the airport.

baladeuse Aug 24th, 2017 07:58 AM

Ok, sorry, after I posted this I did a search and found the detailed, very helpful description from mlgb or how to get from the airport to Valparaiso by bus. Still wondering if it would be better to spend the night in Santiago and travel to Valparaiso later on though.

baladeuse Aug 24th, 2017 08:20 AM

Huentutu, we were posting at the same time. Thank you, that is what I was thinking about the convenience of using a private car to get to Valparaiso. Thanks for your helpful information. To help me convince my fellow travelers, do you have an idea of the cost of the Valparaiso bus?

Huentetu Aug 24th, 2017 05:41 PM

The bus price varies a bit by time of year, day of week etc. but around USD$10 each. Airport bus is around USD$2. Not sure about the taxi from the bus station to the hotel but shouldn't be more than USD$10.

If you do want to spend the night in Santiago (if using public transport the next day), the Ibis has a hotel right beside the bus station (Terminal Alameda). The Turbus airport bus (not Centropuerto) will end up at that station.

If you add the hotel costs and the associated transport costs the next day, you would be better off getting a private transfer door to door on arrival.

thursdaysd Aug 25th, 2017 04:47 AM

Aren't they going to have hotel costs either way? I'm agnostic on which is better - since I travel solo I would take public transport but with a group I would consider the car.

Huentetu Aug 25th, 2017 06:35 AM

True, but I would rather be in the Ibis in Valparaiso and not the one in Estacion Central for a night. So it is more a transport option than a night at your destination.

mlgb Aug 28th, 2017 09:45 PM

I would just go straight to Valparaiso since the airport is already in that direction. I would do the private transfer with three people at night, The bus station in Valparaiso is also in a somewhat gritty area as they usually are, but daytime was ok with the usual cautions, you do have to go outside the station to find a taxi.

baladeuse Aug 29th, 2017 06:27 AM

Thanks Huentetu, thursdays, mlgb. With the information you've all provided, I'm leaning towards the private transfer to Valparaiso. At least we'll get there faster and with less hassle, so worth the expense, I think. I'll check out the Transvip website recommended by Huentetu.

mlgb Aug 29th, 2017 08:32 AM

BTW if you decide to go out to eat when you get to Ibis, I'd recommend SaborColor up on Cerro Concepcion (Templeman 561). They stay open late and you can either taxi or walk up Uriola from the Ibis, unfortunately Ascensor Concepcion is closed for restoration until sometime next year.

Once up on Templeman you can walk to the end for some nice views.

baladeuse Aug 31st, 2017 10:24 AM

Thanks for the tip, mlgb. Any other recommendations of good restaurants are greatly appreciated, particularly good fish restaurants.

BTW, how steep is the climb up Uriola, and are there steps or just sidewalks?

mlgb Aug 31st, 2017 11:26 AM

IIRC it was mostly sidewalk, and yes, pretty steep.

Saborcolor does a nice job with fish. You can get it over veggies, or part veggies and part rice. I went back a second time it was so good. The fish I always look for is corvina or congrio. And I don't get chupes, which are the chowders with cheese!

If you are going to Isla Negra, there was a popular restaurant with an outdoor eating area on the main drag a little bit up from where the path from the highway turns in toward the Neruda house (catty corner from the bus stop). I also had some nice fish there. I know there is a restaurant at the house, but I didn't try it.

baladeuse Sep 1st, 2017 01:24 AM

Thanks again, mlgb

susiesan Sep 14th, 2017 10:45 AM

If you are taking a cruise from Valparaiso be aware that some of the cruise lines will now depart from San Antonio and not Valparaiso. I know Princess and Holland America have mover to the new port. I was going to sy=tay in Valpo 1 night before my cruise but I have cancelled the reservation and will stay in Santiago one more night then take a taxi to San Antonio.