Search

Best month of the year to visit the Galapagos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM
joy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best month of the year to visit the Galapagos

If you were free to go to the Galapagos any time, what month would you choose?
Thanks,
Joy
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM

I would recommend March (when the Frigate birds are in full display) or May (when the Albatrosses are there in largest numbers). Both also have generally good weather.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM

We were there in Sept.--the least visited month of the year. Although I can't compare it with other times, I do know that it has a lot going for it. Weather was great--not humid, not hot (mid-70s every day). We saw very few other groups on any of the landings. The sea bird nesting colonies (all 3 species of booby, 2 species of frigatebirds) were in full swing. The Waved Albatross were both courting (pair-bonding prior to their departure for 3+ months alone at sea) and raising nestlings (which were huge at this stage and totally adorable).

Downsides--the waters were at times choppy, especially on the open-seas crossing to the outer islands (Genovesa, Española). But I think folks should bring motion sickness remedies no matter when you travel--you just never know. The waters were also getting cooler. I snorkeled around the northern islands, but the waters were a bit nippy around the southern islands for me. (I didn't have a wet suit.) But others in our group snorkeled everywhere with and without wet suits. And should the El Niño shape up as is currently being forecast, the waters would stay warmer longer into the year.

Just having to share the paths with fewer people was a huge plus, in my mind.

You can read our full trip report here: http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/. You'll find not only text and photos of each outing but also some pages about life on the boat, decisions we faced, and things to consider when packing. The latter pages can be found under the Practicalities tab.

Tina
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:06 AM

www.weather2travel.com climate guide Ecuador Galapagos

May June warmest calmest...
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Not Christmas time when the atmosphere on the boats is (naturally) more festive and the wildlife viewing takes a back seat. Several guides have told me this. They've also agreed on November as their fav time.

I went in late April and Aug and both were great. I'd avoid Jan-Mar, when the Waved Albatross are at sea. The frigates were displaying beautifully in April, not in Aug. I believe they are displaying in Nov.

Rain, sun, etc. in chart below.

http://www.junglephotos.com/galapago.../climate.shtml