Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Best beach town for Jan- Feb trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/best-beach-town-for-jan-feb-trip-959112/)

Marti324 Dec 12th, 2012 03:53 PM

Best beach town for Jan- Feb trip

I am planning a trip to Ecuador in Jan - Feb and would like recommendations for a small beach town. I'm looking at Manta, Puerto Cayo and Puerto Lopez. I want to stay in a clean, comfortable moderate cost hotel on the beach, with restaurants and shops within walking distance. Any help would be appreciated!
Martha

daniellelafl Dec 14th, 2012 11:04 AM

In Ecuador, a great beach town is Montañita, especially if you like to surf. In general, Ecuador is pretty cheap traveling. A great option for a hotel on the beach is Balsa Surf Camp and Charo's (in town and by the beach).

Happy Travels,
Daniella - Latin America For Less

GregAAS Dec 15th, 2012 04:03 AM

Hi Martha,
I would scratch Puerto Lopez and Manta. Ecuador has better towns and better beaches to visit. Salinas is about 2 hours by bus from Guayaquil and has lots of restaurants, shops, places to stay and the beach is nice. However it tends to get crowded during the months you want to be there.

Montañita, as Daniella suggested, is a great option too. I prefer it to Salinas. But the range of accommodations is not what you have in Salinas.

Depending on how much time you are spending on the coast you could easily do Salinas & Montañita. You also should spend one night in Puerto Lopez to do Isla de la Plata, but don't plan to spend your beach time there.
Best
Greg

p.s. If you need to know how to get to Salinas, Montañita or Puerto Lopez. Please let me know and I'll write you up detailed directions.

Marti324 Dec 16th, 2012 04:36 PM

Thanks very much. I am going to try Montanita, as you have both suggested, even though I am not a surfer. I'll be there in Feb. - planning on flying from Quito to Manta and then getting ground transportation from there. I also decided to spend some time in Puerto Cayo.
Thanks very much!
Martha

Marti324 Dec 17th, 2012 04:55 AM

Thanks very much. I am going to try Montanita, as you have both suggested, even though I am not a surfer. I'll be there in Feb. - planning on flying from Quito to Manta and then getting ground transportation from there. I also decided to spend some time in Puerto Cayo.
Thanks very much!
Martha

Don2015 Jul 26th, 2015 05:19 AM

If you are looking for a small beach town in Ecuador walking distance to everything including over 40 restaurants, hiking and mountain bike trails your best bet would be Bahia de Caraquez. The weather is always perfect, Bahia is a popular vacation destiny for wealthy people from Quito, it also has a growing expat community.

travelexperience Jul 29th, 2015 04:19 PM

I would recommend Montañita and Olòn, both have sandy beaches. Montañita is more international while Olòn has rather local traditions. The weather is excellent all year round.