Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will have 4 nights and 3 full days to visit Bariloche and surroundings. Our flight does not get in until 8:30 the first night and we have a 2;25PM flight out.

We will be renting a car and plan on taking some scenic drives and would like to do a few hikes.

The 7 Lake drive route is on our list. I know it will be a long day of driving if we do a round trip from Bariloche, but it might be nice to base ourselves in a nice spot on the lake outside of Bariloche for 4 nights instead of bouncing around. We will have already bounced around a bit in our travels. Bariloche looks like a place where we would not mind relaxing and enjoying the scenery and parks.

My other thought would be to stay 3 nights in the Bariloche area and head out early our last day to San Martin. We could have a nice dinner , spend the night there and be able to get back to Bariloche before our 2:25 PM flight to BA. It shows the drive is approximately 3 hours.

Any suggestions on this idea or recommendations for a 1 night stay in San Martin?

Thank you!
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We did the trip in the opposite direction a few years ago and loved it. The drive was quite challenging as the road was mostly gravel and it was snowing part of the time. That was 8 years ago and I believe the road has now been metalled the whole way. It took us much more than 3 hours but maybe that has changed.

Some photos and detail of that trip on our old blog at http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html entries 70-71

We stayed at Cumelen Hostería, a comfortable but unremarkable place as I recall. The food in town was excellent. After much indecision I think we went for the spit roasted lamb, or was it goat? Either way it was superb!

Although a lot smaller, I preferred San Martin to Bariloche