Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > Avianca and Copa Airlines - Deals too good to be true? Opinions?
Notices

Avianca and Copa Airlines - Deals too good to be true? Opinions?

Mar 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
lvk
Original Poster

Avianca and Copa Airlines - Deals too good to be true? Opinions?

Hi All,
I am looking to book some flights into Lima this summer.
The first is for my 20 yo DD, who will be spending 10 weeks interning in Peru this summer. On the STA website, I found a flight from MIA to LIM on Avianca through Bogota for $375 round trip, when everything else is over $700. It's only a little over an hour connection time. Whenever I see deals this good, I need to question them, so any warnings before I book such a flight will be appreciated. Since she'll be travelling alone, my motherly inclination is to pony up the $$ for a non-stop (over $800), but I welcome opinions.

The second "too good to be true" was when I was checking out flights for DH and I (DD being there great excuse to see Peru, which has been high on our "list" for a while now). With our United Mileage plus miles, we can use "saver" mileage 35k miles per leg instead of 70k per leg to get Business Class seats on COPA airlines for our LAX-LIM flight. It Connects through Panama City. Any advice/opinions on COPA airlines will also be greatly appreciated.
Mar 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM

I was able to do LAX to Lima round trip for 35k in 2011, but I didn't bother with Business Class.

Be sure that the fares include all taxes.

Summer is usually high season. There may be some fare sales on now because last month there was an Embassy warning about kidnap threat around Cusco.

I say take advantage of the sales!

Search this Thread