Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Argentina/Brazil Itinerary Help Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/argentina-brazil-itinerary-help-please-853692/)

cicero_1 Aug 8th, 2010 03:43 PM

Argentina/Brazil Itinerary Help Please!

So, I'm flying in to Buenos Aires on Dec. 13th, and then out of Rio on Jan. 7th, (friend out from Rio on Jan. 3rd...)

Initial Sample Itinerary is:

dec. 13 leave for Buenos Aires
16 Ushuaia
18 Calafete
19 Bariloche
21 Mendoza
22 salta
24 igauzu
26-29 Rio-Ouro Preto/Tiradentes
29-3 Rio de Janerio (plus day trip)

OK, so, this is a bit of a whirlwind, so how many locations should we cut, which would you definitely cut vs. consider cutting, and what are we missing that we should have? Is Ushuaia/Calafete cuttable? How about Mendoza vs. Bariloche (vs. Salta?)? If we pick one of Ushuaia/Calafete, which should it be? (We're late 20-somethings, love cities, love going out, but also love hiking, nature, the outdoors, etc.)

Thanks!

Susan7 Aug 8th, 2010 04:13 PM

It does look like a whirlwind tour, personally I'd spend longer than 3 days in Buenos Aires particularly as you like cities.

If I were to delete a leg I'd drop Ouro Preto. While it is a pretty colonial town with some interesting Baroque churches, it is also incredibly touristy. It's the only place in Brazil I would not return to. It's one of those tourist towns where almost every shop is selling souvenirs and the place is packed with tourists.

yestravel Aug 8th, 2010 05:36 PM

Can't speak about Brazil, but your Arg portion is way to busy. It looks like you've got 12 days for Arg? I don't think you'll be seeing much other than airports. I agree with Susan7 that if u like cities I'd spend more time in BA --its a huge city with lots going on and much to do and see. I loved the NW but u need more than 2 days there. Iguazu Falls is fabulous and I would definitely go there for at least one night, 2 days. Have u read some Trip Reports to see what people do in the various areas? That may help u decide which u think u might like and what u might want to cut out.

We're going on our 3rd trip to Argentina. We spend a lot of time in BA and then pick another area to explore. First trip we went to IF and to an estancia. Last time we did 9 days in the NW in addition to BA. This time we're combining Arg with Chile and will spend 6 days in Lake District (Bariloche area), 4 days in El Calafate and then time in BA.

cicero_1 Aug 8th, 2010 08:13 PM

So, this was my traveling partners preferences, and yes, we realize it's a bit busy, but all of the places above sounded sweet, so we don't know what to cut. Anyway, What do people think about the following changes?

dec. 14 arrive in B.A.
18 leave for Ushuaia or Calafete
21 Bariloche
24 salta
27 igauzu
jan. 3 leave

Still cut one more? Ushuaia or Calafete?

HappyTrvlr Aug 8th, 2010 08:35 PM

More time in Buenos Aires needed.

yestravel Aug 9th, 2010 04:01 AM

I suggest u look at plane connections on Lan and AA. Many flghts have to go back thru BA thus taking up almost a whole day to get from one point to another. To get from Ush to Bariloche I think u need to fly thru BA and it will take u about 8 hours flying time. U can get from Salta to IF without a BA connection. Without knowing exact connectioin and flight times, I would cut out Bariloche or Ushuaia/el Calafate--do one or the other. Then u could go from your choice thru BA to IF and from there to Salta and back to BA and onto Rio.

Also u should look at where in Arg u can fly to Rio to see if u can get therre without going back thru BA. Have u decided that u only want 3 days in BA? I still think u need at least one more day there if not 2.

Riobound Aug 9th, 2010 05:19 AM

you should also consider the cost of the stay in Rio over New Years. Prices double or even tripple for the holiday.

cicero_1 Aug 9th, 2010 09:16 AM

Thanks for the great tips...

Re: Riobound -- I'm guessing that if we insist on doing Reveillon in Rio on New Year's, we should get hotels asap? And, is it worth it? (You think no?) I'm thinking, it's also waaay more expensive to go out in San Francisco on New Year's, but totally worth it...

So, for the record, and there are direct flights from El Calafete to Bariloche. (That was still a perfectly reasonable suggestion though, thanks...)

I think that's probably sharp advice to cut out either Bariloche or calafete/ushuaia... Saves both airport hassle and money. Suggestions? Kind of tough, perhaps, given that those are three different, and perhaps not directly comparable, places... I guess we should probably write down everything we'd want to do in each.

So, we're getting to something like:
dec. 14 arrive in B.A.
19 leave for Ushuaia/Calafete/Bariloche
23 salta
27 igauzu
jan. 3 leave

Muchas gracias por todos!

yestravel Aug 9th, 2010 09:44 AM

That's great u can get from place to place directly -- greatly simplifies things and adds time on to your actual time in your destinations. I think your plan now looks much more reasonable. Can't help u on which to choose of the 3, since I'm heading there this trip. We ended up cutting out Ush for a variety of reasons, but that may not be best for u. Be interested to hear others responses though.

Steve_Kansas_City Aug 9th, 2010 10:21 AM

Yestravel, Why cut out Ushuaia? We are going in Dec and want to see penguins and also glaciers. Going to Calafate for that.
any suggestions on the best way to see both? Will be in BA Dec 22 from curise and then go right on to Ush. Back to BA after Christmas for about a week. Where is good place to stay in BA? We are thinking of Baucis Boutique Hotel in Palermo or SOCO in Recoleta.
Steve - [email protected]

yestravel Aug 9th, 2010 10:33 AM

SteveKC, our trip is in combination with 4 weeks in Chile and the logistics of getting to and from Ushuaia were too time consuming and expensive. We weren't going to BA before or after Ushuaia. We kept juggling the itn to fit it in. In the end we dropped it with much regret...but u know how it is, u can't do everything.

I prefer Palemro over Recoleta, although both areas are very nice. Don't know either of those hotels. Check TA for reviews.

cicero_1 Aug 10th, 2010 08:53 AM

So, other people may be debating the same issues as us, the advice we received from an Argentinean friend was that our priority should be:
1. Bariloche
2. Calafate (but that we can basically see the glaciers in 2 days)
3. Salta
4. Ushuaia
5. Mendoza

In any case, my travel partner wants to cut New Year's in Rio, which would leave:

dec. 14 arrive in B.A.
16 Calafate
19 Bariloche
24 salta
28 igauzu
30-3 B.A.

What do people think of New Year's in Buenos Aires? (And, yes, most of those flights will be direct, except for Bariloche to Salta, which goes through B.A...)

yestravel Aug 10th, 2010 11:35 AM

Looks like a good plan to me! U might want to think about reversing the order. It will maybe be cooler in the NW and at IF earlier in the month. We were in the NW in Nov and it was very hot, hotter than usual I understand. Those few weeks may not make a difference though.

Never been in BA on NYE. U might want to post a new topic and ask that question or do a search cause I'm pretty sure I've read about NYE either here or on TA.

I hope you'll write a Trip Report after u get back. We'll be leaving in Feb and would love to benefit from what u learn.

Steve_Kansas_City Aug 11th, 2010 03:19 PM

First time in Argentina. Spend a week in BA and want to see penguins and also glaciers. Any suggestions on the best way to see both? What city or do we have to go two different places? Trying to save on air fare...

milla Aug 14th, 2010 08:31 AM

cicero_1
if you allow me, i would change the dates of your flights
to fly directly from Bariloche to Salta

DECEMBER
14 BUENOS AIRES
17 BUENOS AIRES TO CALAFATE (2 full days ok)
20 CALAFATE TO BARILOCHE (4 full days ok)
25 BARILOCHE SALTA (3 days and 2 half days )
29 SALTA IGUAZU
30 IGUAZU BUENOS AIRES (last flight on the day)

maybe somebody has already said it: Rio sells packages for the Revellion in the good hotels. But the possibility to find smaller places always exists

regards from BsAs / milla