Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Argentina and Uruguay (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/argentina-and-uruguay-836861/)

zanne Apr 22nd, 2010 10:41 AM

Argentina and Uruguay

Will be going to ARG in November for approx 10 days. Need some suggestions on itinerary. Will fly into BA but have not booked yet, so that is still open.
These are the places I am thinking about visiting:
* would like to take a ferry over to Uruguay and spend a couple of days if worthwhile,
*Mendoza
*would like to stay in an "estancia" somewhere
*maybe Salta if doable

Can rent a car if need be.

avrooster Apr 22nd, 2010 11:10 AM

First thought: too many places. In 10 days, BA and one or, at the most, two other places.

Mendoza, if you are into wines.

There are many kinds of estancias. Check out the one I usually suggest researching, but it may or may not be the kind of place you would enjoy: http://tinyurl.com/mp9kyw

Salta is great, but I'd say you need 3 or rather 4 days, minimum. It is a two-hour flight.

Uruguay can be done as a day trip to Colonia, or stay longer and also visit Montevideo.

Have a great time in our country.

pookymimi Apr 22nd, 2010 08:09 PM

Uruguay was the highlight of my 3 weeks in Argentina and Uruguay.

Colonia is just where the ferry docks, IMO nothing to see. Montevideo is where the fun starts, going North you have Punta del Este, upscale Resort and Carrasco with its Mansions. You will love the scenery.

zanne Apr 24th, 2010 08:36 AM

Thanks. So forget the estancia and Salta. Want to do BA, Mendoza. so my next question is Patagonia doable in this time frame or should we do Uruguay?
I love food, wine, hanging with the locals, scenery and don't mind driving some.

MarnieWDC Apr 24th, 2010 08:46 AM

You could consider:

BsAs for a few days, then fly to Mendoza for a few days.

When you return to BsAS, you will know if you want to add a day trip to Colonia (you could push and add an overnight there or go on to Montevideo with the ferry back to BsAs from there - but that's a lot of moving about) - or to continue to explore BsAs. You can plan a trip to Colonia, if you choose to add that, when you are clearer and on the ground - that is, you have the weather forcasts and a better idea of how much there is to explore in BsAs.

Keep reading and asking. You will have a great trip.

~MarnieWDC

MarnieWDC Apr 24th, 2010 08:47 AM

Or, you could do a one day/or overnight estancia nearby and pass on Uruguay this trip.

~M

zanne Apr 24th, 2010 09:01 AM

My traveling partner has already done an estancia so will skip that on this trip.
Is Patagonia too much from Mendoza?

MarnieWDC Apr 25th, 2010 04:49 AM

IMO you would be adding a lot of travel time AND flight costs to a 10 day trip if you added Patagonia to Mendoza and BsAs.

Colonia or even a day trip to the Delta would give you more opportunity to enjoy the places you choose for this trip. If you try to add Patagonia to the above, you will be on the very surface only of what the region has to offer - and less able to enjoy the spirit and tenor of BsAs and Mendoza.

So many places to go...so many wonderful choices to make...

~Marnie

nandrews Apr 25th, 2010 01:03 PM

On my favorite trip ever, my husband and I flew into Santiago. After a day in Valparaiso, we took the bus across the Andes. It was June, and the mountains were covered in snow - gorgeous! We spent two days in Mendoza touring wineries, then took the overnight bus to Salta. Argentine buses are like first class flights - lie-flat beds and meal service. We loved Salta. It's like a small European city and there are lots of fascinating side trips. Cafayate, a wine producing region is not far. We flew back to BA and headed straight for Montevideo. We rented a car and drove up the east coast - Punta del Este, Cabo Palonio, and other out-of-the-way beach towns. We went to Colonia, too--it's a little touristy. Buenos Aires is great, but we're not crazy about big cities. There are lots of options if you haven't already booked your flight from the US. I would go either to the north (Mendoza and Salta) or the south (BA and Uruguay). Patagonia is a trip by itself.

zanne Apr 26th, 2010 04:17 AM

Ok, looks like I'll extend my trip to 2 weeks!
Since I am going to Mendoza, I would like to add Santiago. Therefore, maybe fly in to Santiago, spend 3 nights.
Drive to Mendoza for 3 nights.
Fly to BA for 3 nights (maybe use it as home base and rent an apartment for remainder since will fly home from here)
Then off to Uruguay for 3 nights and follow "nandrews" suggestions.

How does this sound? Any suggestions on apartments in BA?

nandrews Apr 26th, 2010 12:44 PM

Sounds great, except I wouldn't drive across the Andes! We took the bus, but there are also some other options, such as minibuses. You'll enjoy the scenery much more if someone else is driving! It's been a couple of years since we were there, but as I recall, there were some restrictions on taking a car across borders - or maybe just exorbitant charges.

Huentetu Apr 28th, 2010 05:27 AM

The thing about taking a rental car across the border, aside from expense, is that you have to bring it back! It is much better to take the bus across or fly.
If you are one of the nationalities which has to pay a reciprocity fee landing at either Santiago's or Buenos Aires' international airports (Canada, USA,Australia), you will be adding over 500 dollars to your expenses if you are 2 people with that last itinerary. If you want to go to Uruguay anyway, you could fly into Montevideo, spend your time in Uruguay and then take the boat to Buenos Aires or fly into Aeroparque airport there. You would not pay the fee entering at either of these points. From BA fly to Mendoza, no fee for internal flights, spend your days there and then bus over the Andes to Santiago, no fee at land crossings. Then you can fly out of Santiago.
It is also possible to fly into Santiago at the beginning but with a connection to a flight to Mendoza so you don't leave the transit area. From there move on to BA etc.

nandrews Apr 28th, 2010 01:38 PM

I think the one way bus fare is $8 either direction. Huentetu has a point about flying into Montevideo and avoiding reciprocity fees. We paid the fee when we landed in Santiago several years ago and it is good for the life of your passport. We have been back 3 times, so it doesn't seem so expensive now. If you are as hooked on SA as we were, you'll likely return! BTW, I believe I read somewhere that there is a bus information booth in the Santiago airport. We didn't use it - took a short ride to the bus terminal near the airport and bought tickets there.

zanne Apr 29th, 2010 04:50 AM

Thanks all. I'll look into your suggestions.
How about apartments in BA, any experience there?

MarnieWDC Apr 29th, 2010 04:58 AM

We rented apartments in Recoleta in (2009 and 2010), and were delighted with both of them. They were large as we were, for part of the trip, 2 couples. I know many who have been really happy with rentals in Palermo, as well.

We used (and highly recommend) BA Habitat, but they are a bit high end. Many Posters and friends have been successful with Apartments BA and with VRBO. You might check them out if you decide to go with a rental. There are pluses to rental and pluses to hotels. We plan to rent again next year.

Good luck, and keep us posted, please.

~MarnieWDC

acktom Apr 30th, 2010 03:36 PM

I couldn't agree more with the referral to BA Habitat. They are great apartments and very thoughtful about everything - you even get concierge service for day-trips, futbol etc.

Personally I think you are trying to cover a lot of ground in two weeks. I don't Santiago would be worth the side trip unless you were going on to Valparaiso and Vina. Flying into AR and out of CL would make the most sense and is definitely doable.

I just posted a link to my blog http://dontdrinkchampagne.blogspot.com/

Feel free to check it out. I hope it helps.

In any case you will have a great time!

zanne May 3rd, 2010 05:29 AM

BA Habitat looks great. What area do you recommend?

Eddwarm May 3rd, 2010 08:06 AM

Although you did not directly ask me about the specific area in which to stay while you're in BsAs-- I'd highly recommend Recoleta. During my four visits to this city, I've stayed in various apartments 3xs and have enjoyed immensely. ...great walking and easily accessible to other parts of this vast city.

...returned to the States last Sunday-- the 25th of April after spending ten days there. Asked my certified independent guide (Marcelo) again about where to stay. He ruled out PALERMO because of its distance from other places, no bus service there-- just far from everything. He, himself, lives in Recoleta.

acktom May 3rd, 2010 04:17 PM

I agree with Edd, Palermo is nice but a bit removed from the highlights of the city. (although the dining and nightlife is probably superior) I recommend Recoleta. You can always taxi to Palermo for dinner. I stayed on Juncal between Rod Pena and Montevideo. Fantastic place on the top floor with an amazing deck.