Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Argentian-patagonia/weather last week in march

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My school teacher has a long week brake late march: could stretch it a day: maybe like march 22-arrive back in new york march 30/31. Looking a Iguazu, Buenas Aires; then either Salta area (but we have been a lot in Perucouldbe a lot of similarites) versus patagonia such as punta tumbo penguin colony and maybe cave of the hands in perito moreno? not sure if done how to get between these two areas, not interested in renting a car. also my wife hates winds and the cold. thoughts
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 07:04 AM

If your wife hates wind and cold, then unfortunately she would not like being around El Calafate or El Chalten. The glaciers are absolutely stunning, but it can be cold there even in summertime and it's almost always windy.

Do some research on Punta Tombo, but I think by end of March most of the penguins are gone. I was just there two weeks ago and it's just amazing to see penguins in every direction you look.

The entire Northwest reminded me more of Peru or Bolivia with the small villages and Indian markets. I loved it because it was so totally different from anywhere else in Argentina.

You might look at Bariloche - beautiful scenery and not as cold or windy as further south.
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

i will research bariloche--what is ti
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
jgg

We were in El Calafate in late March and it was cold, particularly on the glacier. I hate the cold too, but I have to say it was an amazing experience and one that I'm glad we did. While we were in the town of El Calafate it was cold - jackets, gloves were good to have, but it was not too cold to enjoy an afternoon walking through the town.

Here is a link to my trip report from our time in El Calafate:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/0...oreno-glacier/
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We flew from Buenos Aires to Bariloche in early March a few years ago. The weather was nice, sunny, warm enough,short sleeves, long pants but no jackets. It is set on a lake, surrounded by mountains and is a ski area in the winter. There is a strong German influence as there also is across the border in Chile. The whole area was settled by Germans. This is the lakes region and I highly recommend the beautiful lakes crossing to Puerto Varas, Chile.