Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Advice on Lake Titicaca and Atacarma San Pedro please

Nov 12th, 2019, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

We are planning an extensive trip for August 2020.
1/ We are visiting Lake Titicaca but have two options, an overnight Catamaran from La Paz to Puno visiting Sun Island, or a road trip from La Paz to Lake Titicaca for an overnight then continue on by road to Puno.
With the catamaran, we get Sun Island but not on the road trip. Has anyone done either and reviews please.
2/ We are planning three nights in Atacarma San Pedro. I am torn between staying at Alto Atacarma a 5 star resort which is well out of town (it is full board) or Altiplanico Atacama which is 3 star but a ten minute walk to town.
There is a substantial price difference but this is a once in a lifetime trip so my main objective is to have the best possible experience.
Has anyone stayed at either of these properties an would care to share your views.
many thanks
Sharon
Nov 12th, 2019, 10:37 PM
kja

I'm sorry that I can't help with either of your questions, but if you are looking for accommodation in Puno, I highly recommend the Mirador del Titikaka -- great views, very helpful staff, fascinating short walk on the property.

Good luck with your plans!
Nov 12th, 2019, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kja, I will look into that.
Nov 12th, 2019, 11:34 PM

Hi Sharon,

I haven’t done the catamaran trip but have done a couple of sailings elsewhere on Titicaca. The views, as one would expect, are exceptional. However, so are the views on the overland route between Copacabana and La Paz. On balance, I think I would go overland and spend an night or two in Copacabana and then take a half day boat trip to Isla Del Sol. Some photos and info on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/bolivia/ scroll down to the last post.

We spent a few days in San Pedro de Atacama when travelling overland from NW Argentina en route to the coast. We stayed in the town which was quite pleasant. I think SPdeA is all about the activities around the town so personally I would not want to spend a lot of cash at a resort type hotel there - rather somewhere else.

I can’t recall the name of the place we stayed at in Copacabana but it was very funky - like staying in the set of the Flintstones movie. Puno is not renowned for great Accomodation. Places we have stayed in have been adequate rather than memorable.
Nov 12th, 2019, 11:44 PM
kja

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
Puno is not renowned for great Accomodation. Places we have stayed in have been adequate rather than memorable.
I don't think you've been to the Mirador del Titikaka, have you? I can't speak to any other lodging in Puno, but I found this particular place wonderfully (and favorably) memorable.
Nov 13th, 2019, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Crelleston, I appreciate your insights.
Tell me, as we wish to get the train from Puna at Cusco, we have to either lose a night at Titicaca, or in Buesnos Aires, our itinerary gives us a late afternoon arrival at our hotel in BUE, a full day of touring the next day and a free day before departing for La Paz. I am wondering if we would be better served with the extra day at Copacabana than in BUE?
Thanks Sharon
Nov 13th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Tell me, as we wish to get the train from Puna at Cusco, we have to either lose a night at Titicaca, or in Buesnos Aires, our itinerary gives us a late afternoon arrival at our hotel in BUE, a full day of touring the next day and a free day before departing for La Paz. I am wondering if we would be better served with the extra day at Copacabana than in BUE? Our flight from BUE is 1600 so we would still have a free morning there.
Thanks Sharon
Nov 13th, 2019, 08:49 PM

You are welcome Sharon. That is a very difficult question!

The simple answer is that it really depends on what YOU want to do and see. One day in BA is barely enough to cover the highlights. We enjoy the city immensely have spent a lot of time there, but some people I know are less impressed. If you have a guided tour then that may enable you to cover some of the main sights - Cemetario de Recoleta, Plaza de Mayo, La Boca, San Telmo etc. Efficiently but at a fast pace. With two evenings to play with you could also do a tango show and eat at one of the many excellent restaurants in one of the Palermo’s . An extra day would allow you to see more at a slightly more leisurely pace. Personally, I would want to spend the three nights/two full days there, but one and a half would just about be ok.

Copacabana is a very pleasant and interesting town, but I am not sure I would give up a day in BA for time there. As I alluded to to previously, sailing on the highest navigable lake in the world is an incredible experience and provides some amazing views. it is those that stick in my memory as much as any land based activities.

Altitude issues
An additional thought: You mentioned that you are going to La Paz from Buenos Aires. I assume you have looked into the altitude issues? If not do take a look at https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advi...ude-and-travel or similar websites like the US CDC. Going direct from BA at sea level to LP at some 3600 metres, most people will be affected by the altitude, the only question is by how much. I would consider consulting your GP for a prescription for Diamox and then still taking it easy for the first couple of days to get acclimatised properly before heading off to places like Puno and Copa where decent medical care is not so readily available should you need it. If you have an extra day to play with, I would strongly advise utilising that to adjust to the altitude in La Paz.

We used Banjo Tours a couple of times in La Paz and they were very good. A full or half day tour of LP and El Alto are excellent. More days there and there are several options around the city.

PS the train between Cusco and PUNO is a great experience, the views a re mind blowing, but there are also tour buses which ply virtually the same route and allow you to stop off at 4/5 interesting sites along the way. We used Inka express.
Nov 14th, 2019, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Crellston,

I read your blog and it was most helpful.
I have decided we will stay the three nights in BA, we have a full day tour there, and a Tango show dinner as well then will have one and a half days to explore on our own.Then fly to La Paz have two nights there with a day trip to Moon Valey and Cable car,then do the land trip to Puna with a night at Copacabana staying at Los Alos (the Flintstones Hotel).
We are cramming a lot into four weeks from there we do Cusco, Sacred Valley, Macchu Pichu, three nights in the Amazon then on to San Pedro Altacarma for three nights before flying back to Australia. Phew!!!
I really appreciate your advice and loved your blogs.
Sharon
Nov 14th, 2019, 04:22 PM
kja

Originally Posted by sharich View Post
We are cramming a lot into four weeks from there we do Cusco, Sacred Valley, Macchu Pichu, three nights in the Amazon then on to San Pedro Altacarma for three nights before flying back to Australia. Phew!!!
Wow, now THAT is ambitious! Could be great though -- enjoy!

crellston has given you some really good advice about altitude sickness. I hope your experience with altitude is better than mine was! If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information on report of my trip to Peru:
Praise for Peru A report of my solo month in this amazing country