Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   A week in Cartagena, mostly as solo female (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/a-week-in-cartagena-mostly-as-solo-female-908423/)

hetismij2 Oct 7th, 2011 03:20 AM

A week in Cartagena, mostly as solo female

My husband is probably going to Cartagena to work for a week. He has asked if I want to go too. On the one hand I would love to, but I am nervous.

I would be on my own during the day while he is working. Would there be enough for me to do there? How safe will it be as a solo, middle aged, not very fit female?
What about taking my DSLR camera? I am a hobby photographer and would love to get some great photos there but not if it means I risk getting mugged or something.

If I do go with him and we were to add a few more days on to the trip where would you suggest going?

Any ideas, suggestions, help most welcome.

qwovadis Oct 7th, 2011 05:32 AM

paisatravel.com/tours/cartagena_city.htm

Plenty to do for the experienced solo traveler

Review safety issues travel.state.gov

Take organized tours stay out of dodgy areas odds

are great u will be fine... Expensive cameras Apple products

are theft magnets insuremytrip.com always wise.

Lacasadefelipe.com Tayrona NP Ciudad Perdida is beautiful

worth a several day excursion for the experienced traveler.

Have fun!

Jeff_Costa_Rica Oct 7th, 2011 10:03 AM

You won't be lacking for things to fill up your time. There's a ton of stuff to see and do in Cartagena. It is one of the world's great sightseeing cities, and if you have the chance to go, I'd grab it.

The place is mostly safe. Cartagena is the crown jewel of Colombian tourism, and they want to keep the visitors coming. You don't need to worry about drug cartels and all those things we've come to associate with Colombia. (Actually, the security situation in Colombia is improving in general.) You still need to be careful, just as you do in any new, unfamiliar place. I'd start out by signing on with a tour. There's safety in numbers of course, but a lot of the attractions are labelled only in Spanish, so a tour with an Enlgish-speaking guide will help you get your bearings if you don't speak Spanish.

It will be very hot there. Wear a hat and apply sunscreen liberally. Keep hydrated with water.

Make sure you and your husband take a chiva ride. They're horsedrawn carriages. They operate late afternoon and evening after it starts to cool off. It's a very romantic way to see the city.

hetismij2 Oct 8th, 2011 03:51 AM

Thanks for the advice. If I go I shall post a trip report when I get back.

lacasaamarilla Oct 20th, 2011 04:17 AM

Cartagena is fine, just avoid empty streets at night like in any city, and be aware that the general population live beyond the Ciudad Vieja and in relative misery. Most people never see this preferring to stay in the protected areas. You'll have plenty to do.