Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Anyone purchased leather goods from Uru Recoleta in BA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm excited about our upcoming trip to Buenos Aires!

My husband is interested in shopping for a leather jacket and has found some good reviews online for Uru Recoleta, but I trust my Fodors friends more than the anonymous and possibly paid reviewers elsewhere online. So, if you have any first hand experience with them, is this a reputable company? Or is there someplace else that you would go to purchase a custom tailored men's leather jacket?

Thanks so much!
Saige
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM

All I can tell you is that the tour buses from hotels come and drop off loads of tourists every day , to shop , then they all pile back into buses and leave.
They sell a lot of izod and stuff that looks like anything you could get in the US and probably better quality ( in the US) ..
Quality control is almost non-existent here so I don't recommend spending much on anything here.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 12:26 PM

We stayed in Buenos Aires in 2010 for eight days. Our experience in looking for leather jackets was that in the popular shopping areas, the prices were very high. When we inquired of the hotel concierge where the locals went to shop for leather, he named a place which would have been a bit of a distance by taxi. We were disappointed that we did not follow through on his suggestion. Too little time! But we hope to return in 2013, and pursue this question. So, you might have some good luck asking some of the well-dressed "Portenos".
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Leather jackets in Argentina are nothing special. While you will be able to buy leather at low prices, you will get what you pay for. If you just want an inexpensive jacket then maybe you can find something around the Murillo street area, but, if you ask a local like me where do I buy my leather jackets I will say Italy, Germany, France or the USA (where I buy the European designer brands).
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 08:30 AM

I agree with Sr Malbec. Perhaps the only interesting option for someone wanting a leather jacket is the possibility you have to get a custom fitted jacket done. Pricing for this in Buenos Aires is still competitive compared to what you would have to pay in the USA or Europe... but for off the rack stuff, I dont think it makes much sense to shop for leather here in Argentina, at least not at the current prices and given the current quality levels.