How much time for Pisac ruins and market?

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much time for Pisac ruins and market?

How much time do we need to visit the ruins and the market? Would 4 hours be enough or would that be cutting it close. We will be travelling by taxi or guide so won't have to hike up to the ruins. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We spent 2-3 hours walking around the Pisac ruins with our guide. They were great! It's a large market and depending uppon your interests, u could easily cruise it an hour or spend way more time if you're looking to browse & buy. I didn't see anything in the market that was esp different from things we saw elswehere. I woul say u could do it in 4 hours if u wanted to -- I would allow a bit more time.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Even if you don't hike up to the ruins, I recommend having the taxi driver drop you at the top and walk back down to town.

If you don't have an interest in shopping the market won't take that long.

However I'll disagree wtih yestravel and say that I found some indigenous weavers who walked down to the Sunday market with some handspun and handwoven textiles (although a lot of the merchandise is typical). Also the veggie market is fantastic for photos. (This was on a Sunday).

You're welcome to explore my photos.
http://picasaweb.google.com/kiwifann/PeruPisac#
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies and the suggestion to taxi up but walk back down to town. mlgb, I enjoyed your pictures very much.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Try to go on a Sunday. The local area mayors all meet together to go to mass at the church which is in the market. They are very colorful in their native garb. They expect to be photographed, but be sure to leave them a tip.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Thank you Babs. The skirt that Rosa is wearing is something special, BTW. I showed my pics to the woman running the textile museum shop and she said those are worn mostly for festival days and weddings. They had a picture of the people from her village at a wedding and they were all wearing similar skirts.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 03:36 AM

mldb, your pisac ruin pictures are very nice. It makes me excited to visit Pisac.

Would it be too much to spend about 2.5 days in Pisac? I like to do photography also and don't want to rush to take pictures in order to run to the next town. Will there be enough to do in Pisac aside from visiting the market and the ruin? Is the Sunday market better than the Thursday or Tuesday market or about the same?
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 03:38 AM

Ok I see happytourist comment that on Sunday you can take pictures of the local mayors in their colorful garbs. That sound cool.

How much tip do you give for taking a picture, and do you tip for each camera click?

Thanks.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Typically one Nuevo Sol (about 33 cents for us but worth about $1 to them) although if you buy something they will not charge.

Many of my pictures were taken using the trick of the camera held at waist level to capture spontaneous expressions.

I do think that 2.5 days in Pisac is a lot, and you will find lots of photo opportunities every where that you go in the Sacred Valley. Luckily battery chargers work in most hotels without an adapter, but bring lots of camera memory.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Axel2DP - I'm still working on photos from our trip in April (way behind ... too much work and not enough time for fun stuff these days) -- but if you scroll down towards the end of this post (http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2009/0...-in-pisac.html) you'll find a photo of the mayors taken on Sunday at the church in Pisac. The varayocs gather in front of the church until it's time for the service to begin ... they do place a plate on the steps with the expectation that you will tip a sol or two.

I have not managed to perfect the camera at waist trick, so I use a long lens to capture spontaneous photos from a distance.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Let me try that link again ... http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2009/0...-in-pisac.html
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Wow, thanks for the link to your pictures eenusa. They're stunning to say the least. I especially love the pics of MP when the sun finally came out. It almost looks like rainy season is the season to go for photographers I totally understand the wanting to visit MP for four days thing . It looks like you and your partner were able to have a backpack on your back inside MP with no problem. And the guards didn't mind the tripod if you were able to sneak it in? I'm still thinking about how I'm going to do that, LOL.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 03:59 AM

Glad you enjoyed the photos .... yes the rainy season had the advantage of filtering out some of the harsh light so that was good.

The backpacks were actually reasonable-size camelbaks with an added compartment for other stuff. More a daypack, I would say. No one at the entrance or later in the ruins said anything about them. I think it's the "real" backpacks that they require be stored.

As for the tripod ... hubby used his on the first afternoon from the open space near the caretaker's hut and also at the sun gate the next day. In both cases there were guards standing not far from us, but no one said anything. Both those areas were uncrowded and we weren't near any structures that we could damage. We did make sure that the tripod had rubber tips on the legs.

Have a terrific time in Peru.