Like many on here I am trying to gather some more information before I head off on a 3 and a half month adventure to South America.
I will be travelling with my partner from the beginning of September, starting in Buenos Aires and gradually working our way up to our final destination of Lima, where our return flight (to the UK) is from.
Although we have a rough plan, I was hoping for a bit more help. If anyone could impart some wisdom that'd be great!
I think our budget in total will be between £3500-£4000 each for the duration of the trip. Is this enough? Do couples tend to spend less than travelling alone?
Our basic itinerary will start us off in Argentina:
Buenos Aires, 3-4 days, then working down and then up to places like
and then into Bolivia
We were thinking maybe 3-4 weeks in total. Do you think All of this is doable in that time?
Bolivia would be our next destination. I havent really looked into much yet about it. But both myself and my boyfriend love hiking/trekking and would like to start heading into the Amazon as much as possible. We also love history/culture so any sites people think are great for us?
Anyone have any ideas of how to spend 3-4 weeks in Bolivia? We were contemplating helping on a farm or doing volunteer work for a week. If anyone could recommend somewhere in Bolivia, awesome!
Finally, Peru. Here we are wanting to spend most of our time. Places which are a must are Puno, Arequipa, Machu Picchu, Iquitos, and Lima. We could be spending anything from 5-7 weeks in Peru. So which places do you think deserve the most attention?
We intend on doing a Salkantay 5 day trek to Machu Picchu which solves one week. (We will be hopefully going with Loki Travel, can anyone vet them, how long in advance should we book?)
In terms of travel between all these places, how cheap/easy will it be? We will be travelling between September-December. Will things be running as it isn't high season?
Basically, help me!
This is one of my first big travels, so I am excitedly nervous!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Clemson vs Citadel
- 2 Chile -Valparaiso to San Antonio Chile by car
- 3 Advice on Peru Itninerary
- 4 Santiago/Valparaiso/Wine Region - January 2018
- 5 Where to spend Christmas & New Year's Eve in Argentina
- 6 Galapagos Islands, a paradise
- 7 Argentina in January (fingers crossed)!
- 8 last-minute Argentina planning questions
- 9 Advice needed for Colombia
- 10 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 11 La Boca safety question
- 12 San Pedro de Atacama
- 13 My trip report from Argentina
- 14 More Colombia Itinerary help - beaches
- 15 Travel to brazil under Duel Passports
- 16 need help with my Peru Itinerary : Cusco, Puno Arequipa
- 17 Considering 2019 eclipse tour with Astro Trails
- 18 2 weeks in Colombia Itinerary help
- 19 Argentina (Chile?)
- 20 hotel selection Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 21 Colombia-Brazil-Chile-Bolivia-Peru (Dec'17-Jan'18)
- 22 Patagonia-thoughts on my 24 night schedule?
- 23 Argentina in January
- 24 hotel selection Santiago/Valparaiso Chile
- 25 Perito Moreno best tour and hotel
3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?