I've never been to South America. Earlier today I was able to use the British Airways miles we obtained from the British Visa promo earlier this year (100k miles!!!) to get two tickets for my DH and I (both 30) arriving in Montevideo, Uruguay, and departing Buenos Aires the first week in December. I wanted to do it open-jaw to avoid the expensive arrival fee that the Buenos Aires airport assesses.
We'll have 8 nights.
I'm thinking a split, 4 nights each, in Uruguay at the Four Seasons, then the remainder in Buenos Aires at the Four Seasons property there.
In Uruguay, we'd like to go to Colonia and visit the wineries. We'd also like to eat a lot and have some relaxation time around the pool!
In Argentina, we'd like to visit Buenos Aires, eat steak, take advantage of the exchange rate, and enjoy the culture.
Based on my research thus far, a lot of people seem to pair a Buenos Aires trip with a trip to the Mendoza wine region. I was looking at the Cavas Wine Lodge, but I don't think that we'll want to deal with flights for this trip. I'd rather really explore in-depth the two areas where we are based than spread ourselves thin. So, that's where the Four Seasons Carmelo comes in.
My question is, does this sound like a good plan?
Would you do 5 nights in Buenos Aires and then 3 nights Uruguay instead? Cities tend to be tiring and I don't usually like to stay in a city more than 4 nights (our flight home from Buenos Aires doesn't leave until 10:30 p.m. so we'll have another full day on our departure day).
Or, would you suggest something else?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chiloe in January - need input!
- 2 Chile -Valparaiso to San Antonio Chile by car
- 3 Preliminary thoughts -- Peru and a bit of Bolivia?
- 4 Valparaiso Hotels - January 2018
- 5 Cusco Hotel Suggestions
- 6 Air Tickets to Peru Advice Needed
- 7 My trip report from Argentina
- 8 Advice on Chile itinerary
- 9 Santiago/Valparaiso/Wine Region - January 2018
- 10 Colombia-Brazil-Chile-Bolivia-Peru (Dec'17-Jan'18)
- 11 Argentina in January (fingers crossed)!
- 12 Advice on Peru Itninerary
- 13 Wanting tips for trip to Brazil
- 14 Private driver Mendoza?
- 15 Torres del Paine - Jan 2018
- 16 Where to spend Christmas & New Year's Eve in Argentina
- 17 Galapagos Islands, a paradise
- 18 last-minute Argentina planning questions
- 19 Advice needed for Colombia
- 20 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 21 La Boca safety question
- 22 San Pedro de Atacama
- 23 More Colombia Itinerary help - beaches
- 24 Travel to brazil under Duel Passports
- 25 need help with my Peru Itinerary : Cusco, Puno Arequipa