Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   18 Days Peru trip ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/18-days-peru-trip-ideas-1667935/)

thestrider Jun 5th, 2019 11:08 PM

18 Days Peru trip ideas

Hello,
We're a family of four (two kids, 9 and 11), planning a 'borderline adventurous' 18 days in Peru...
I was thinking to start with 2 days in Huacachina (boys would appreciate sand surfing...) incl. dune buggies and all.. and a boat tour to the islands in Paracas. From there head (fly?) to Cuzco. I was thinking of taking an organized ~4 days not-to-rough trek (maybe Salkantay? horseback riding?) ending in Machu Pichu off course and back to Cuzco for 2 days. From there I want to head to the Jungle for 5 days. I'm contemplating between the more 'traditional' Puerto Maldonado-Jungle tours or go up north to Pacaya Samiria which sounds amazing...Finally we'll head to Lima for 2-3 days.

I would really appreciate your feedback!

mlgb Jun 6th, 2019 11:54 AM

You'll need to bus or private transfer from Huacachina (Ica) back to Lima first, then fly to Cusco. No flights from Ica to Cusco that I know of.

There are several lodges near Iquitos in addition to Pacaya Samira, which is usually seen only by boat. E.g. Tahuayo, Explorama are well-regarded.

What month? Be sure you know about high water season along the Amazon. Also the issues with malara, dengue, zika, etc if you do decide to go to the jungle. Tahuayo claims their environs are free of those disease carrying mosquitos.

https://perujungle.com/your-zika-and...ee-experience/

thestrider Jun 6th, 2019 12:21 PM

Thanks for the info mlgb!
We are going next August...as far as I know dry season(?)...I actually like the idea of a boat tour in Pacaya...although I'm honestly contemplating whether to go with the southern option of Tambopata instead..
I don't know about Dengue/Zika. Looking at the CDC website it seems there's only malaria in the Lorreto region (Pacaya) and a minor risk down south.
Thanks again!

dhoffman14 Jul 8th, 2019 01:05 PM

Cusco and Machu Picchu

Guided tour companies won’t take kids under 14 on treks to MP. Be sure to check with your primary care doctor regarding preventive vaccines. My wife and I got altitude pills and Typhoid shots. CDC suggests Malaria pills if going to Amazon.

xcountry Jul 9th, 2019 03:58 AM

“Guided tour companies won’t take kids under 14 on treks to MP.”

Our son was 12 on the Inca Trail to MP. Can you point us to something please?

kja Jul 9th, 2019 06:35 PM

Do pay attention to the CDC recommendations and consult a physician. In addition to issues already mentioned, you may be advised to obtain vaccinations for yellow fever.

thestrider Jul 9th, 2019 10:18 PM

Thank you all!
We've decided to go down south to Tambopata...
We got the Yellow fever and Typhoid shots already...Malaria preventive treatment is under debate..some travel clinics advise not to take them (especially kids) in this specific area which has a very low risk of infection. they recommend using repellents, long-sleeves, etc.
regarding the the Salkantay trek - tour operators don't seem to mind having kids on board...

dhoffman14 Jul 10th, 2019 11:38 AM

I wish I could recall the site I read that requirement. In my group this June was 2 16 year olds, 1 17 and 1 14 year old. For a total of 10 hikers. Sites I have read have suggested private tours are more forgiving than public tour companies. Pleased to know your 12 year old made the trek.

Nnlsbin Aug 9th, 2019 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by thestrider (Post 16931666)
Hello,
. From there head (fly?) to Cuzco. I was thinking of taking an organized ~4 days not-to-rough trek (maybe Salkantay? horseback riding?) ending in Machu Pichu off course and back to Cuzco for 2 days.

I did the Salkantay Trek in November and found it quite hard with the altitude, the scenery was amazing but it is something to be mindful of. We had about 3 days before the trek in Cusco to acclimatise