Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay in Rome - Vatican area or Campo d' Fiori?

Old Nov 7th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 5 nights in Rome in May 2014. It is our last stop after visiting Lake Como, Venice, and Florence. After much searching, we have found two accommodations in Rome that we like and that are within our budget (preferably under $200/night with $250 a maximum). We are in our mid-60's, and would like to stay in an area that will be convenient for walking and where we will feel safe walking at night. We plan to visit as many of the major sights as we can, and perhaps take a day trip to Orvieto or Ostia Antica.

The first is an apartment on Via Guilia, near Palazzo Farnese and Campo d' Fiori. On Google maps, It appears to be an easy walk to many attractions. It has many good reviews, and despite being on the ground floor, is described by reviewers as quiet.

The less expensive possibility that has many excellent reviews is a B&B on Piazza del Risorgimento near St Peters Basilica, the Vatican museums, etc. It is described as being 100 meters from the Ottaviano metro stop and several public bus lines. While my DH and I have ridden subways and buses in Paris, London, and Athens, we are uncertain whether we want to depend on public transportation or would rather be in a more central location that would allow us to walk to most of the sights, and be easy to come back to in the afternoon for a short rest if we need one.

Comments on these locations and on the ease of using buses and the metro in Rome would be welcomed, as would general suggestions about places to stay in within our budget. We prefer B&B's and apartments but would not rule out a hotel. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would stay on Via Julia. It's a much better location and you can walk to most things.

Piazza Risorgimento is really a busy intersection, not a quaint piazza. Rome's metro isn't all that useful as there are only 2 lines.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM

You might find the little electric buses that run through the historic center more convenient than the metro. YOu can see Via Giulia on the bus map (lower right). Piazza Risorgimento would be near the word Pietro (by the Vatican).

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9

Also useful is tram #8 which you can catch not far from Via Giulia which goes to Trastevere.

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=5
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM

Definitely via Guilia. The Vatican area is quite a walk to all the major sights,whereas the Campo di Fiori area is within an easy walking distance to most of the sights including the Vatican. You also have the added bonus of being near the many trattoria surrounding the market and about a 20 minute walk from one of Rome's most interesting areas, Trastevere.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 08:44 PM

Campo di Fiori is wonderful! It is in a great location as you are one block over to the tram to go across the Tiber River to Trastevere;a block and a half to Piazza Navonna and two blocks over to the Pantheon. The area has grocery stores,shops and restaurants that will please everyone.You can hop on one of the buses(buy tickets at any TABAC shop) at Largo Argentina (the cat sanctuary) to take to Termini train station to go to Orvieto for the day.
I work as an international flight attendant and layover in Rome quite frequently. My crew hotel is not in that area but be assured that every year when I vacation there I am in Campo di Fiori! You will really enjoy your Rome vacation in that area.
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 03:24 AM

Definitely via Guilia...no contest, it's a great location!
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 04:25 AM

Agree. Via Guilia is not only infinitely more convenient, it also has the be the prettiest street in Rome. An absolute pleasure to walk along the many times you'll travel to and from your apartment.
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 05:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i also agree about the via Giulia, but don't fight shy of using buses - they can be life-savers when you have walked too far.

all you need are a few tickets from the nearest "tabac" - €1.50 each - then jump on, validate your ticket in the machine, and sit back [if you can find a seat, that is]. they should also be able to sell you a bus map showing where all the routes are. it's a great way to see more of Rome without wearing our your feet.
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 06:18 AM

Via Guilia hands down. Everything you need is very close by. Bakeries, bars, gelato, grocery stores, restaurants, the market itself.

I was in Rome for 2 weeks in September and stayed close by. It was a great location.
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Agree about Guilia area. And do check out the trams--good way to get around.
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback, and especially to kybourbon for the maps. I have some small ones in a guidebook but they are difficult to see. I'll print these out and take them with us.

I had read about the trams and we will likely try them to save some walking. Somehow we've had better luck on other travels figuring out how to ride the subways than the above ground transportation but these maps should help.

Does anyone have other recommendations on places to stay in the Campo d' Fiori/Piazza Navona area?
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Raphael is a stone's throw from Piazza Navona. Pricey but you might be able to get a good price staying 5 nights. I emailed them directly when we stayed and it worked great. Don't eat breakfast there to save $.

http://www.raphaelhotel.com/intro-page.htm
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM

drchris - FYI- Rome is unique among all the cities of the world in that it's subway doesn't go into the most central area. This was because there were too many important ruins they kept discovering every time they dug. The result is that the Rome subway merely goes to the outskirts of the historic center. From Via Giuliani, you'll be able to walk to most places of interest and take a bus, electric mini-bus, or tram to the rest.
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM

The trams aren't quite as useful as the buses as they tend to skirt the center also. The 117 electric bus goes in some of the pedestrian areas where cars aren't allowed (Spanish Steps for one).

If you buy a Roma Pass, you get two free admissions (best value use is Colosseum and Borghese) and free transport for three days. With such a good location, you might not take much transport so it might not be worth it for you.

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2

I find I use the transport a lot more when I have a pass (you can get a day ticket, 3 day, etc.). You can just hop on the 117 or 116 and ride the entire route and back. The 117 runs from Piazza del Popolo, by the Spanish Steps/Colosseum to San Giovanni in Laterano. Gives you a good overview of the city. A pass basically covers the trams/metro/buses and some trains. On this map, you are covered for the center of Rome to the stops listed in red plus the 3 train lines in gray.

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM

I have been staying at the Hotel Smeraldo in Campo di Fiori for the past couple years-great location,reviews,prices and two wonderful rooftop terraces to enjoy a bottle of wine at night.It is right in the middle of everything!

I would also HIGHLY recommend taking the tram two stops over to Trastevere where you will find one of the BEST restaurants in all of Rome for a wonderful price! It is called:
ALLE FRATTE di TRASTEVERE on 49 Via Delle di Trastevere.
It is closed on WEDS. and open for lunch and dinner so you can eat earlier if you need to. It is rated number 542 out of over 7,025 restaurants in Rome.

It is run by a woman who does the cooking and her son Rick(around 40ish and wonderful!) is one of the managers on the night time shift. It has house wine in a bottle for 10 euros or a carafe for 8 euros. The caprese salad is great along with the grilled seafood,pizzas and my personal favorite in the pastas-ravioli in a white sauce topped with mushrooms and sausage from Tuscany area for 9 euros.To die for! Please do yourself a favor and go to Tripadvisor to read the reviews as most folks that I recommend it to both here at home and on my flights end up eating there more than once on their Rome vacations!
And no I do not get any compensations for recommending this restaurantI bid trips to Rome for work just to eat dinner here!!!! Tell Rick that Debbie sent ya!
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

dutyfree - Thanks for your recommendations! I will certainly check them out!
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

I have just found another delightful looking apartment with a small balcony overlooking Campo d' Fiori. You can actually see the market stalls in the photos! While this looks and seems delightful, I wonder about the noise. It's not mentioned in the reviews but I wonder how it could not be noisy. I also wonder if there would be a lot of restaurant noise at night. Feedback from those who are familiar with this area? Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:46 AM

drchris, I was also considering an apartment on Campo d'Fiori but finally decided against it since some of the reviews mentioned it could be noisy with the windows open. We finally booked a similar place just off Piazza Navona, you may want to check it out. http://www.rentalinrome.com/piazzana...0611&numPers=2
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 02:57 AM

Rome is a noisy city. Wait until you hear the early morning garbage pick up and the all night vespas. If you are sleep sensitive, you must travel with ear plugs, regardless of what any review might say. You won't know you have a quiet room until you're actually in one.

Campo de' Fiori is not known for quiet. The market sets up quite early, and at night, the square is popular with young folk hanging (usually drinking).

Hotel Smeraldo is tucked away, but some rooms are not quiet, which is the case in most hotels that face a street. I could never be happy there, but many tourists don't mind its charmless, claustrophobic interior.

Saving money by skipping breakfast at Hotel Raphael? Thank you for that laugh. Hotel Raphael should be embarrassed and ashamed that breakfast is not included in all their outrageous price packages. The exterior is as pretty as ever, and the interior has been spruced up a bit in recent years, but the price is insanely inflated for what you get, IMO. I've always been outraged by their audacity. But they do offer LOCATION.

There just aren't great, affordable choices in Rome's city center. If you truly want space to move, charm, and a quiet night's sleep (which can be interpreted as a windowless room), it'll cost you, and you need to ask for a specific room number.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 04:32 AM

The area of the Campo de' Fiori is certainly the best of your choices, although a place right on the Campo might suffer from the noise of the restaurants and bars at night.

I have stayed at the Hotel Teatro di Pompeo just a two minute walk from the Campo and really enjoyed:

http://www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it/

After I stayed there, I came across this article from the National Geographic Traveler which featured this hotel and a lovely, if eccentric, restaurant beside it where I dined several times:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...oods-traveler/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -