Search

Airport help!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport help!

Will be arriving at cdg terminal 2e at 8 am on December 27th. I will be meeting a friend who will also be arriving on the27th terminal 2e but three hours later. First time to paris. Does anyone know a convenient place to meet in that terminal? Should we both go through customs and pick up baggage and then meet. But again the question is where? Thanks for any assistance. We're both nervous about flying alone and then meeting up.
Thanks!
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 01:59 PM

You cannot loiter within customs for 3 hours. The first to arrive should exit and find out if the other person is arriving on time.

Personally I would go to Sheraton hotel in Terminal 2 for breakfast and wait there.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Meet outside because "inside" is just a no man's land. The first person can explore the (boring) other terminals while waiting and then return to the customs exit to meet the other person's flight. I would feel extremely insulted if a "friend" was not waiting at the exit for me but instead told me to "just find the Sheraton where I will be having breakfast."
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, that does sound less confusing so that I can proceed through customs and baggage and then go back to customs exit in 2e to meet her. Is there only one exit for customs?
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM

Frankly i think it would just be easier to meet at the hotel in Paris. why wait around an airport for 3 hours?
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ nytraveler. W/ just an hour's difference I might hang aroung CDG/the Sheraton. But w/ 3 hours - never.

I'd travel into Paris and if your room is ready (unlikely but possible) check in and freshen up, take a walk, etc. If the room isn't ready, you can leave your bags at the hotel and wander the neighborhood, have a coffee, etc.

You will have had breakfast on the plane so you'd probably only sit at the Sheraton.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:46 PM

I agree, grab a taxi to your hotel, dump the luggage and then go for a little stroll. I understand your nervousness but don't worry too much, while in the airport just follow the crowd leaving the plane. Have the address of the hotel written down to show the taxi driver.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:06 PM

If you insist staying at CDG here is the map http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/R...massecdg_g.jpg
I think upon landing one needs to clear passport control, collect luggage & walk through the customs (otherwise it's just corridors there between gate & passport control). Easily identifiable landmarks are RER-B station (can meet by vending machines) or Sheraton. Both have signs pointing to them.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:34 PM

<i>Sarastro on Sep 10, 13 at 5:59pm
You cannot loiter within customs for 3 hours. The first to arrive should exit and find out if the other person is arriving on time.
Personally I would go to Sheraton hotel in Terminal 2 for breakfast and wait there.</i>

I am also a fan of that Sheraton. It has a small and very comfortable bar near the front. You can't miss.

<i>mabyrnes on Sep 10, 13 at 6:16pm
Is there only one exit for customs?</i>

Excellent question, but I see no answers here.

If you wait at the customs exit door(s??) you will have scores if not hundreds of people milling about. E.g., a friend waited for me at one of the Schiphol exit doors, and waited, and looked, and looked at another door, and looked some more while I was doing the same. We each spent over an hour there without success. I finally took the train to her house. She came home later, very frustrated.

I would not go to your hotel alone. Wait for your friend. A few hours wait is no big deal. Always use the buddy system when traveling, especially in a big city like Paris. Anything can happen.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:38 PM

>>I would not go to your hotel alone.<<

Why on earth not?

Folks travel solo all the time -- why would arriving at the hotel alone be a problem?

Not that that is the only option -- but IMO it is the least complicated/easiest.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:46 PM

<i>janisj on Sep 10, 13 at 9:38pm
>>I would not go to your hotel alone.<<
Why on earth not?
Folks travel solo all the time -- why would arriving at the hotel alone be a problem?
Not that that is the only option -- but IMO it is the least complicated/easiest.</i>

Nothing wrong with traveling solo. I do most of the time. But without a doubt the most difficult times in my travels were when I was to meet someone -- and they weren't there. It has happened several times, besides the Schiphol event. I think there is no margin in taking the risk. That Sheraton lounge is a very pleasant place.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM

Different strokes I guess.

3 hours (or more) in an airport hotel lobby vs. 3 hours in PARIS (!)
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 06:05 PM

With this being a first time to Paris, I'd also agree to meeting up at that Sheraton. I would not wait "inside" security at the airport. Actually, it is probably not even an option...?? because once you collect your baggage, you must exit security. With baggage to lug around, I'd want to relax. The hotel lounge sounds perfect. Comfortable seating, no doubt? You'll be feeling jetlagged, most likely, and a comfy place to relax will be welcome at that time. I understand completely not wanting to head into Paris without your travel friend!!
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. If meeting at the Sheraton do you walk right past it after collecting luggage?
Thanks
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 03:46 AM

Have a plan B. Be sure friend has hotel name and address and instructions to go to the taxi stand and get a cab. Have a time limit after second plane lands if you don't see one another, go to the hotel.
Are you going to have a phone?
I can understand not wanting to each go to hotel, if for no other reason than the taxi cost. But stuff happens to planes and arrival times.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 06:13 AM

I've not been to that hotel, but "right after collecting luggage" you will walk through the GREEN LANE at customs (most likely you'll have nothing to declare) and that is when you exit the secure area. Then you could probably ask someone about the hotel location, or if you see signage, just follow it.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 06:42 AM

Going through Customs at CDG is a non-event. In fact, you may not realize you've gone through it. Immigration/Passport control is a different story. Arriving last year on an 8:00 am flight, it took 2 hours to get through Passport control. A nightmare. So, be aware that it may change the amount of waiting time between your flight and your friend's, either on your end or your friend's. Once you're gathered up your bags and gone thru Customs, you can wander around the ground side of the terminals, get some coffee, use the cash machines, etc. I once waited for friends arriving 2 hours after my flight in a different terminal, but for a 3 hour difference I think I'd just take a taxi to my hotel and wait there. Much less stressful.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:55 AM

<i>mabyrnes on Sep 11, 13 at 7:34am
Thanks for all your responses. If meeting at the Sheraton do you walk right past it after collecting luggage?
Thanks</i>

The CDG Paris Sheraton is between Terminals 2C/D and 2E/F, right next to the RER escalator. See map http://tinyurl.com/l27waf.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:03 AM

<i>janisj on Sep 10, 13 at 9:51pm
Different strokes I guess.
3 hours (or more) in an airport hotel lobby vs. 3 hours in PARIS (!)</i>

I agree with you 100%, if I was traveling alone. I've lived in Paris and visited a number of times so I would get on that RER right now.

BUT, the OP says <i> We're both nervous about flying alone and then meeting up.</i> For someone who has not been to Paris before that is completely understandable, and something to take into consideration. Only people who have a GPS installed in their brain would not get lost on their first trip to Paris.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:16 AM

My feelings are - If one is a nervous traveler . . . CDG is the very last place I'd want to linger. It is a nasty/confusing place. Now, the Sheraton is much better than somewhere IN the terminal itself. But hanging around CDG any longer than necessary is not anything I'd ever do by choice . . . just IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -