Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Draft London Itinerary - Thoughts/Advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been enjoying reading everyone's trip reports and looking at tips around itineraries. Now it's time to nail ours down and I'd love your advice!

Husband and I are in our late 20s. Very active, like to go-go-go most of the time on trips. That said, we do like to take our time at sights. We don't like to run in and out in 5 minutes just to say we saw it. We're staying in the Westminster area. Planning to get 7-day Travelcards at a rail station and use 2-for-1 deals. Not planning around the 2-for-1s, but they can't hurt!

Here's what we were thinking...
Day 1 - Saturday 8/31
Arrive Heathrow around 11:30AM
National Gallery & maybe National Portrait Gallery in the afternoon
Have tickets for a play at 7:30PM

Day 2 - Sunday 9/1
Tower of London first thing
Tower Bridge
St. Paul's Cathedral
Globe Theatre
Seeing Macbeth that night at the Globe

Day 3 - Monday 9/2
Buckingham Palace in the morning (have tickets already)
Westminster Abbey
Cabinet War Rooms
Parliament (not sure if we want to take a tour?)

Day 4 - Tuesday 9/3
Boat ride to Greenwich
Maritime Museum
Observatory
Train back
Tate Modern
Dungeon? (Heard this isn't worth it? Sometimes we like cheesy things.)

Day 5 - Wednesday 9/4
Victoria & Albert Museum
Kensington Palace

Day 6 - Thursday 9/5
British Museum
British Library

Day 7 - Friday 9/6
Hampton Court
Kew Gardens

Day 8 - Saturday 9/7
Portobello Road Market (early!)
Kensington Gardens
Hyde Park

Day 9 - Sunday 9/8
We fly out at 3:00PM so theoretically could do something until about noon

Some days look a little light... anywhere we could add on? We're interested in a pub tour or any cool walking tours - any suggestions?

Also, should we flip Day 1 and Day 6? Not the play, but the attractions?

Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Assuming you are coming on a overnight flight from US, only you know how you are with jet lag but the first day, especially if you have a play at night I would recommend you do something outdoors in the afternoon for walking and fresh air. You might consider that day, especially if you are staying in Westminster to take a good walk to see outside of B Palace down through the park there to Horseguards and Pall Mall (where Churchill Warrooms are) to Parliament, Westminster Abbey just to get a sense of place and consider what pace you really want to take the following days.

The second day I think you have too many things. I would plan only Tower, walk across Tower Bridge and do Shakespeare tour and then the show later. I am a big Shakespeare fan but even I learned a lot on the tour and allow time perhaps an hour in the "museum" part which isn't actually on the tour but something to do on your own before or after (just went to museum and tour last month for the first time on my upteenth visit to London). If you have more time and feel more ambitious that day you could add Tate Modern because it is right there (I highly recommend the free guided tours which add a lot to the context of the museum).

Otherwise your days sound about right. You can leave what is "extra" time on Saturday and Sunday where you don't have much planned to do the things you missed on earlier days.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Day 1 - Saturday 8/31
Arrive Heathrow around 11:30AM
National Gallery & maybe National Portrait Gallery in the afternoon
Have tickets for a play at 7:30PM<<

Bad plan IMO. First of all major indoor museums/galleries are difficult on arrival day - jet lag and all. (assuming you are flying in long haul. Then there is the problem of the theatre that night. That is definitely NOT recommended. I've done it (when I had no choice). I had tickets for the Lady in the Van starring Maggie Smith - it was a sold out run and the ONLY night I could get a ticket was day 1. Even though it was a FABULOUS production, I could barely keep my head up half way through act one. I had visions of Dame Maggie breaking character and asking the ushers to remove the nitwit sleeping in the front row. I cleared my head a bit during the interval and managed to stick it out. I knew it would be tough -- but it was horrible.

Day 3 is a LOT - The Palace, Abbey, and War Rooms each take at least 2 hours so w/ a nice lunch that will be a very full day. But all 3 sites are practically next door neighbors so you won't lose and transit time.

The rest of your days are OK. Re day 2 - assuming you just mean walking across Tower Bridge and not also doing the "Tower Bridge Experience" The Tower/St Paul's and Globe is a busy but doable day.

Actually days 5, 6 and 8 are pretty light so maybe move the National Gallery/Portrait Gallery to one of them.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 09:57 AM

The day you have both Hampton Court Palace and Kew Gardens is also not a good idea. We did it when Kew Gardens was open late that night until 19:30 and we didn't get to see what we wanted to at Kew. Although the gardens were open until 19:30, the greenhouses closed at 17:30 and we first got there at 16:30 leaving really one hour only for one greenhouse.

We spent a lot of time at Hampton Court Palace and loved it but if you want ample time for both I would split them on separate days. How were you planning on getting from one to the other? We took the bus and the ride took close to an hour.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 10:30 AM

re HCP/Kew -- it is a doable two-fer . . . IF you are not huge into gardens/landscapes. If you just want a walk through and maybe visit a couple of the glass houses then a couple of hours will do it and can be managed after half a day at HCP. But if you are a more 'thourough' tourer -- as europeannovice is - or really want to explore Kew - then no, they won't work on the same day.

To see in any detail, each site requires more than half a day so you'll run out of hours before you run out of 'stuff to see'.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM

no day looks light....

day 1 suggest: arrive, into city by 2:30, relax, dinner, play
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 10:50 AM

>>no day looks light....<<

Day 8 is VERY light. Portobello Rd Market is an early morning activity so basically only the Park is scheduled after 10AM (That would be the day I'd choose for the V&A and Kensington Palace BTW)

Day 6 depends on how in depth you tour the Museum and Library. Some people I know are very happy w/ an hour or less at the Library - it is mainly only the Treasures gallery most people visit. But some happily spend the entire day there.

Day 5 - the V&A takes as much time as you want. a couple of hours or the entire day.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:19 AM

Can't see the point of spending most of the day in parks especially as the day before you will have been at HCP & Kew

You also have not taken into account the weather which - if it keeps to form - will be different day to day

Oh - St Paul's is closed on Sundays to tourists (something to do with it being a working day). I'd also avoid major attractions at weekends as that is when they are at their busiest - change round day 4 & day 2, the walk up the hill at Greenwich will blow the remaining cobwebs

As for day 1 - junk it, just go for a walk around Westminster until you've had enough, have something light to eat then go to bed.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:23 AM

>>Oh - St Paul's is closed on Sundays to tourists<<

Oh -- geeze Louise. I completely missed the days of the week - I was concentrating on the groupings. Of course the Sunday plan is a no go. Not only because of the Cathedral, but because it is the absolutely MOST crowded day at the Tower. So move your Sunday plans to another day.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the quick replies!

We're used to doing things with jet lag. Though we could see how we feel and skip the museums Day 1 and just walk in a park or relax until dinner and the play. (Play tickets already purchased and it's the last day of the run.)

For Hampton Court/Kew Gardens, I think we'll play it by ear. Get to HC at opening (by train), and then if we're done with enough time take a boat or bus to Kew Gardens. And if the weather is bad, we can skip Kew altogether.

Any off-the-beaten path sights we should try to see?
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Good catch alanRow on St. Paul's being closed on Sundays!

I think we will flip Day 2 with another one... probably Day 4.

And we just changed our hotel to one in the Tower Bridge area. So we could do St. Paul's another day in the morning when heading out.

Portobello Road - Did not realize we'd be done by around 10AM. I think we'll look at doing the V&A that day then after the parks.

And yes, all weather-dependent. We only have tickets purchased for the two plays and Buckingham Palace. Are there any other sights we should buy in advance? We're going next week and I've looked at online tickets today and nothing seems to be sold out.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM

>>Portobello Road - Did not realize we'd be done by around 10AM<<

If you aren't out of there by/before 10AM you won't be able to even walk . . . assuming it isn't pouring down rain. I was last there in early May (usually try to go every 2nd or 3rd London trip) and by 9:30 it was an absolute zoo! I was w/ my cousin who had never been (to the market OR to the UK) and heading back towards the tube station around 9:45 we literally had a hard time even making it through the throngs and got separated several times. Sort of like salmon fighting to get up stream
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Agree with others re: staying outside on Day 1. Sunshine (assuming it's not pouring rain) does help re-adjust your body clock and lets you recover from jet lag more quickly. My only other suggestion would be not to eat heavily on Day 1 and don't nap.

No one commented on the Dungeon. I'd eliminate it. If you were travelling with teenagers or pre-teens, maybe, but we found it a waste of time.

As janisj sais, V&A can be a wonderful day. If you don't want to linger, check out collections online and decide what you most want to see. I always get lost, no matter how many times I've been, check in at the information counter on arrival to get organized. The restaurant here is great, including the cafeteria.

You mentioned you've changed hotels. Don't know your hotel but we rented an apartment in the Tower area a few years ago, for a week. and found the area very quiet and a little depressing in the evening. Crazy during the day, but dead at night. May depend where your hotel is.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Another question: I've read it's best to buy the tickets for Hampton Court online because the queues get very long very fast. If we wanted to use the 2-for-1 there, could we buy them online first? What if we got there before 10AM? Queues still out of control?
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Another POV on the Tower Bridge area: we stayed close to the Tower Hill Underground station three trips ago, and we both liked it. We didn't really hang around the area at night, but took the Tube to various parts of town for dining arrangements. On our last night, we stayed close and ate at St Katherine's Dock.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM

I've never had a terribly long queue at HCP - But I try to avoid weekends so it might be worse then. If you get there at or just before opening time there shouldn't be a problem - the line moves pretty fast.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Updated itinerary (all subject to weather, how long we spend places, etc):

Day 1 - Saturday - Arrival
See Trafalgar Square
Walk around St. James Park
National Gallery (if we're up for it)
Play at night

Day 2 - Sunday
Maritime Museum in Greenwich
Observatory
Globe Theater
Play at the Globe

Day 3 - Monday
Buckingham Palace
Westminster Abbey
Cabinet War Rooms
(if we don't have time for something, we'll bump to later)

Day 4 - Tuesday
Tower of London
Tower Bridge
St. Paul's
Tate Modern (time permitting)

Day 5 - Wednesday
Hampton Court
Kew Gardens (if we don't have time, will do another day)

Day 6 - Thursday
British Museum
British Library

Day 7 - Friday
Open -- Could have anything we miss another day

Day 8 - Saturday
Portobello Road Market
Kensington Gardens / Hyde Park
Victoria & Albert Museum
Kensington Palace - Is there time?

Day 9 - Sunday
Free time in the morning before travel

Thoughts now? Trying to leave it flexible in case we really like something and spend more time there, or the weather is not good.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM

Much better - losing Kens Palace depends on how long you spend at the V&A. But the V&A and Kens Palace is certainly doable. I'd take the tube from Portobello Rd (Notting Hill Gate station) to South Kensington - do the V&A in the morning and have lunch there. Then in the afternoon walk up to the parks and wander through From Hyde Park > Kensington Gardens > and finish up at the Palace.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 05:59 PM

oh - and get as much fresh air as possible Day 1 - that play will be a killer
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 06:15 PM

London Walks does a great job and I think you have plenty of time to fit some in. I would recommend a walk on your first day. Walking around in the sunlight is a great way to combat jet lag. They also have some pub walks. www.walks.com

I wonder if you should move Kensington Palace to Friday morning. Then you can walk through Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park on your way to the Victoria and Albert Museum. The Victoria and Albert Museum is open until l0:00 p.m. on Fridays. I can recommend Orsini’s for dinner. It was wonderful. Be sure to take note of the Cabbie’s Tea Hut in the middle of the street across from the entrance to the V&A. http://www.cabbieblog.com/blog/green-cab-shelters

If you can fit it in, go to Borough Market. It is amazing. http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -