Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Trip Report Turks and Caicos and pictures of amazing water!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2013, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most common question on these boards, it says 60% chance of rain, will I get sun? Pictures on link show 60% chance of rain. They speak for themselves!

Stayed in a villa, ate in most of the time.

Friends took us on boat to Half Moon Bay and snorkeling.

Restaurants: All great! Hubby ALWAYS has to have lunch at Hemingways, Fish Tacos. Lunch also at Bay Bistro and The Plunge at Regent Palms.

Dinner, 1 at Bay Bistro, 1 at Le Bouchon, 1 at Tiki Hut

WEATHER: Amazing! Water soooo clear and gorgeous. Rained twice for 15 minutes and then cleared up.

Saw beautiful huge red starfish

Ask away!

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/blam...how/AUG%202013
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM

Can never get enough of that water!
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:34 AM
WWK

Looks wonderful! Could you make some villa recommendations? Some place on or close to Grace Bay? Looking for new places to stay since West Bay seems to have nearly tripled (!!) their rates for this/next year. Thanks, Blamona!
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

How many people, what time of year, and budget!

I know TONS of villas
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM
WWK

Possibly six of us, going in February. Prefer to be on the beach, or within walking distance. Need a 3 bed in the $800-$1000 range?
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM

blamona:

Wonderful photo's.

Thanks for your assistance with responses to my other questions on the caribbean forum, now please tell me about T&C if you will.

2 people, July, budget up to 7K. Best beach, outstanding villa or resort.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It's hard not to take good photos in TCI, but yours are stunning. Thanks for posting.

LeBouchon----France and TCI. My 2 favorite places.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 09:42 AM
WWK

Thank you so much, Blamona! Just waiting for my adult kids to figure out if they can join us or not. Your house looks GORGEOUS!! Wow! Nice to know there are options other than my usual WBC haunt. Thanks again!
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:32 PM

blamona:

The budget is the budget....can spend more but less is always better. Just back from Jumby so don't want to go overboard next year.

Most, if not all of the air will be paid with mileage points. I would like to spend no more than 5k for the roof over my head and meals. No problem stretching a bit however if the villa or resort is outstanding.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Daven, first off, there's not a bad place to stay. it's an overall upscale island.

So are you looking for seclusion or close to places? Do you love to snorkel and explore? Do you mind renting a car? Are you foodies? Do you mind kids or prefer romance?

Fodor's In Focus: Turks and Caicos comes out in December. It contains reviews of all resorts, most restaurants, etc. Will also have directions for exploring and other places.

Ballyhoo and callyhoo villas are really nice for only 2 persons. Of course villas are completely different experience than resorts. Windsong Villa is also awesome, comes with Windsong Resort privileges. (breakfast, workout room, front desk, etc)

Point Grace is an awesome small boutique quite resort

Grace Bay Club has adults only resort with it's own infinity pool and restaurant

Gansevoort is chic quieter version of South Beach Miami with all the beautiful people

Seven Stars is on a large scale, similar to Four Seasons, with excellent service and gorgeous huge pool. It's in the middle of everything you need

Somerset has the most beautiful architecture

West Bay Club just got taken over by Grace Bay Club. Don't know what it means, but up until now, and especially for the money, this was my favorite resort. Gorgeous views, with majority being oceanfront.

Kid friendly, yet upscale, Regent Palms

Upscale and gorgeous but more self catering: villa Renaissance, Regent Grand, Tuscany! Venetian

Parrot Cay is also quite spectacular, very quiet zen understated.

A split with Parrot Cay and another above is quite fantastic

As you can see, really without knowing a little more about you, what you're looking for, what you want out of vacation, there's not a bad place to stay!
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 06:05 AM

We have stayed at The Somerset many times & love it. We stayed at Regent Palms for our Honeymoon & had a great stay as well But ...really fell in love with Somerset. Both resorts have nearby dining & great staffs & service.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 08:23 AM

If snorkeling is high on the wish list, would you consider T&C a good destination?
Loved the pics and the water...I could look at it forever.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

x, great destination, part of the world's third largest reef. But only 2 off the beach places, rest by boat (which is a fantastic excursion)
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:13 PM
WWK

We've stayed at West Bay Club four times, and absolutely love it. The rooms are huge, and the oceanfront suites all have that "wow" factor.

The beach is one of the widest on Grace Bay Beach. But they were recently acquired by another hotel, and now it seems their rates have doubled- even tripled- since last year!
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:59 PM

"only 2 off the beach "
Which areas? We generally prefer renting a villa, but I checked the high season rates for Ballyhoo and callyhoo...ouch
Did you rent a car? Can you drive to the beaches that have off-the beach snorkeling? Thanks
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
WWK

xyz99,

Check out some of Blamona's VRBO listings above. You might be pleasantly surprised by the rates, even in high season. I sure was!

About snorkeling: My daughter and boyfriend were disappointed in the snorkeling at Coral Gardens. It was very crowded and they said there wasn't all that much to see.

We've been to Turks four times now, but have never done one of the snorkeling trips that take you out to other areas/reefs. I assume those are better, but don't really know.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Bally and Cally are on the beachfront of snorkeling, Smith's Reef.

Even if you don't stay in that area, no villa is more than 10 minutes by car to it.

Villas do require cars, as they usually aren't in the hub with the resorts, Turtle Cove is where the villas close to snorkeling are.

It's not that far to drive though if you decide a different area.

www.wherewhenhow.com

click on Providenciales map. From Leeward to turtle Cove takes about 10 minutes by car.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 05:12 AM

blamoma:

Looking for romance and yes we are big foodies. I am not a fan of renting a car so would prefer a property that is in close proximity to fabulous restaurants, beach bars and beachfront if possible.

We have never stayed in a villa and am not sure if we would like this type or experience. Looking for a more adult oriented property versus kid friendly and like the idea of a boutique property. What we are not looking for is a cookie cutter hotel room and want pristine beach front where we can snorkel.

I will review all of the property suggestions you have listed above and appreciate your additional input based on what we are looking for on vacation.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Beach House
West Bay Club

Also a villa on the beach belonging to Windsong, gorgeous, and with Windsong previledges (attendant at beach, breakfast, workout room)

Point Grace is quiet and very boutique, that may be the one for you

You can also split Point Grace 4 nights, Parrot Cay 3 nights for an amazing vacation
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM
WWK

Great info from the expert above! Just wanted to mention that one of our friends recently stayed at Beach House. They have removed ovens from some of the units, so if you are looking to cook while on vacation, be careful.

Also, as I mentioned above, love West Bay Club, but they were recently acquired and have raised their rates dramatically-nearly two to three times over what we paid in January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -