Search

London, Paris and Rome- 15 days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London, Paris and Rome- 15 days

Hi All!
I'm looking for any advise and suggestions on these cities. I am planning on flying into London then hopfully taking the train to Paris and then flying to Rome and home from Rome. I am looking into going in early March 2014. anything you can offer would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Oh I also might be doing this trip solo
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
What sort of "advise and suggestions" are you looking for? More information needed before we begin.

I will say that I think you've got it right so far. The Eurostar train from the center of London to the center of Paris is the only way to go. Buy your ticket as soon as they're available for your date for the best deal: http://www.eurostar.com/
Read here for further information: http://www.seat61.com/London-to-Paris-by-train.htm

Flying home from one's last destination is always the smart thing to do to save time and backtracking. How many full days will you have "on the ground" between arrival day and departure day?
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM

That is a great itinerary for an introductory trip to Europe. I'm sure you'll have fun. If you give us a little more info about yourself and what you might enjoy seeing/doing,it will help us give you advice. Care you a student, senior citizen or somewhere in between? Do you have a special interest in art, history, food, nature, hiking, music, etc.? Do you need hotel advice? If so what is your budget per night? The more specific you are about the info you are looking for, the easier it will be for others to provide it. Happy travels!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

I am 31 years old. I have an inerest in art, history, food and nature. I will have 3-4 full days in each place. I have a few things on my list for each place, but wouldn't mind input to other places that are off the beaten path. Or any food/wine ideas?

So far for London I have the tower of london, the london eye, big ben, buckingham palace

In Paris I have the Lourve, the Eiffel Tower, Versaille , the Arc de Triumphe

In Rome I would like to go to the Collusiums, the Vatican, the Sistene Chapel and Pompeii
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM

Before deciding on sightseeing, I suggest you work out your travel framework.

Flying into London and home from Rome is a good plan. I'd start by checking out those airfares, and adjust if needed. Those are two expensive cities from the little I know.

When you can commit to your dates, it's good to purchase EuroStar from London to Paris, as those prices will continue to rise. It's a great mode of transport, BTW.

Personally, I don't like to stay less than 4 nights in a new city. And I'd even consider doing just London and Paris in 15 days, but that's up to you. Each of those cities is chock full of things to see and do and eat, so it's nice to allow extra time to just relax and wander around.

Sounds like a great trip!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
To accommodate your interests in art & history I suggest the following:

London
- The National Portrait Gallery http://www.npg.org.uk/ with both contemporary portraits and the historical ones you see in books every time you read about British history.
- Dennis Severs House http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/ with an artist's recreation of an historic interior.

Paris
- The Conciergerie http://conciergerie.monuments-nationaux.fr/ where Marie Antoinette spent her last days, right in the center of town.
- A walk through the Marais and Ile Saint-Loius, 2 of the oldest and most beautiful parts of the city and near each other. And Montmartre.

Rome
- A trip to Pompeii will be a whole and very long day away from Rome. I suggest instead going to Ostia Antica http://www.ostia-antica.org/ very close to Rome and smaller so manageable to see it all and has the additional advantage of having a shady park-like setting and a restaurant. One of my most pleasant days.
- A walk around Trastevere, a beautiful and less monumental neighborhood, my favorite and where I stayed for a week.

My biggest suggestion is, while getting from one monument or museum to another, walk when you can instead of taking the tube or Metro. Take in the neighborhoods as you go and slow down making time for a coffee or lunch with a view of local color. Look for the less glitzy places to eat and you'll find better for less. If the menu comes in any language other than the local language, find somewhere else.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:04 AM

I would recommend getting some good guide books...I like the green guides by michelin - and seeing what is out there that interests you. We can be the most help once you have a rough outline if what you want to see.

Museums in London are mostly free so if you are interested in art or history there are tonnes of options, too many to list!

But I will add to your London list

British museum
Museum of London
V&A
Tate & Tate modern
Westminster abbey
St. Paul's
Hampton court palace
Borough market
Churchill war museum
Imperial war museum

I highly recommend www.walks.com great cheap walking tours, and the pub walks in the evenings are a fun way to visit pubs especially if you are alone, and get some history of an area as well.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:10 AM

How about a few trips report and blogs? We have kids but as long as you aren't put off by that, perhaps you'll see a few things that strike your fancy.

Rome
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...log-photos.cfm

Paris
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

London
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...andparents.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-with-kids.cfm
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Sounds like a great plan!

In Rome, we had the BEST meal at Le Tamerici, near the Trevi fountain.

http://www.letamerici.com/ I'm sure that they have a web site in English but I can't find it.

It would cost about 45 euro for a single person.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM

In Paris, you will want to include Musee d'Orsay is you like Impressionist art. I liked it better than the Louvre. Almost every piece there is something you recognize. Also, the church of Sainte Chappelle is a must-see for most visitors to Paris. It literally took my breath away the first time I saw it.

The hardest part of your trip, though, will be deciding which places NOT to visit. Each city is full of wonders. Pick 2 or 3 major sites each day, and let the rest just happen. Have fun!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 04:29 PM

At that time of year I would do the trip in reverse for a chance at a little better weather in Paris and London. Make sure you pack plenty of things you can layer so when you get rain and chilly you won;t be driven indoors.

Be sure you have 2 pairs of comfy walking shoes that are water resistant (nothing worse than having to put on a pair of shoes that are still damp from the day before) and a sturdy folding umbrella.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:40 PM

London
Hidden Pubs of Old London Town Walk is a fun way to go out at night when you're traveling solo. The group visits approx. 4-6 out of the way old pubs and sites you might not otherwise see like Dr. Samuel Johnson's house and the ancient Courts of Law. My group was a mix of Americans, Aussies, and Germans with solo travelers including a flight attendant, myself, and a man from India who has lived in London for 25 years but felt he needed to see more of it through tourist eyes. http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Ho...E/default.aspx

Victoria and Albert Museum of Decorative Arts was a big WOW for me. Stunning exhibits in a beautiful building with a great gift shop, a lovely courtyard and pond and a very inviting cafe. Admission is a 3 pond suggested donation. I can't wait to return for another visit.

Nearby to the V&A, stroll through Kensington Gardens to see the sights near the Round Pond- children on scooters and feeding ducks, geese and swans, dogs romping with their owners, and people sailing large remove control sailboats. Great photo ops of the Palace reflecting pool and gardens very near the palace.

Walking distance from Kensington Palace, take in the famous and sumptuous art nouveau Food Courts at Harrod's Department Store.

Paris
Learn how to buy a well priced Eurostar ticket from London to Paris as soon as they go on sale (4 months out when I purchased for travel last fall). Do not fall for buying from RailEurope, a middleman with mark ups and no good deals.

Go on a Fat Tire Bike Tour on Day One to get acquainted with the city layout. Easy and fun ride. The day tour is mostly on paths and sidewalks. The evening tour is lots of fun with a boat tour that includes wine but it also includes riding on streets which can be a little nerve wracking. You'll also find yourself returning to your lodging late at night which may or may not bother you.

Buy a ticket for the Eiffel Tower online at the official website and arrive at the tower just before opening so you don't waste precious time waiting in ticket or elevator lines.

Consider visiting Musee D'Orsay and L'Orangerie rather than the Louvre for such a short stay. Do NOT miss Sainte-Chapelle, the Little Jewel Box built to house Jesus (supposed) Crown of Thorns and other religious artifacts long gone. The upstairs stained glass windows are breathtaking every time I see them. After a visit to Sainte Chapelle, walk through the flower market at Place Louis Lepine (bird market on Sundays only) on the way to Notre Dame for a Walk through. Know that Versailles will take most of one whole day.
Ann Marie
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:40 PM

msteacher wrote: "In Paris, you will want to include Musee d'Orsay is you like Impressionist art. I liked it better than the Louvre. Almost every piece there is something you recognize. Also, the church of Sainte Chappelle is a must-see for most visitors to Paris. It literally took my breath away the first time I saw it."

I also liked Musee D'Orsay much better than the Louvre.
Although the Louvre should not be missed. I would recommend a guided tour to the Louvre, to see the highlights, for such a short stay in Paris. We did not do a tour, we went on our own, but we had all day and still did not see everything.
There is also Pompidou Center and the Picasso museum.

A stroll through Montmartre might interest you for it's role in late nineteenth and 20th century art, and Sacre Coeur is beautiful and a quick visit.

I second Saint Chappelle. It is indeed breathtakingly gorgeous. It's not too far from Notre Dame if I remember correctly, you could see them both one after the other.

And I envy your going solo! I would love to travel by myself and do whatever I want, on my own schedule!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM

London:
Churchill War Rooms.

Paris:
Loved the Musée d'Orsay much more than The Louvre.
This bike tour was the highlight of one of my trips to Paris: http://www.bikeabouttours.com/

If you go to Normandy on your future trips:
The name of a GREAT private tour guide in Normandy is Ellwood von Siebold. www.ddaybattletours.com or [email protected]. I have participated in this tour twice.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 08:44 PM

Paris to Rome, you can fly or take the overnight Thello train.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all the advise and input so far! I am trying to work on a day by day schedule to see how it will all work out. and then I'll post it to see what everyone thinks.

the Musee D'Orsay sounds like an amazing place, I am going to check into that. should I do that instead of the Lourve?

I am excited about going solo ( this will be my first trip alone), but am also really nervous. anything I should know or look out for when traveling solo? I am pretty street smart and use common sense, but am wondering if there is anything I should know.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:03 AM

Use the search function. There have been many, many threads about women traveling solo on this forum.

Sounds like a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 07:39 AM
ira

Hi R,

If you split the time equally between Lonadon and Paris, and saved a visit to Italy for later, I think that you would enjoy it a lot more.

Old Aug 6th, 2013, 08:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Peter, i couldn't find an english website for the restaurant you mention, but if you click through to the menu, the dishes have an english translation:

http://www.letamerici.com/il-menu/secondi-piatti/

Rachie - i like your new itinerary. i think that when you are travelling alone, you tend to get through things more quickly [at least that has been my experience].

so visiting 3 places with plenty to do in each is probably about right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -