bryce canyon trip/lodging

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bryce canyon trip/lodging

Planning a trip to Bryce next May. Is staying at the Lodge really necessary, or is it just
as well at one of the outlying areas , ie Best Western ?? Still pretty close by from what
I read. If being 'in' the park is important for seeing all we need to see, then we will do
just that. Some of the reviews indicate the lodging is 'rustic' staying at Bryce Lodge and
cabins. Want the best of both=staying somewhere decent and accessible to the sites..

Sherri
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 06:13 PM

You would be ok outside. But I always stay "in park". To me its just part of the experience. Bryce cabins are right on the rim, so a less than 5 minute walk to Sunrise or Sunset is nice.
I would say the cabins are some of the better lodging in the national parks. Ruby's is another option that is right at the park entrance. I love the historic lodges. Have stayed at nearly all of them(and eaten at most of them that I haven't stayed in). I even went out of my way to stay at Oregon Caves Chateau when we were in Oregon(pretty much off the radar place)
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 07:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Staying at the outlying areas will result in a lot of driving. Some of that driving could be at night where you have to be very careful due to animals on the road.

As spiro above wrote, I too always try to stay inpark but I'm not a stickler for historic lodges. For me lodging is lodging and I'd like it to be convenient. That's just a personal preference.

Ruby's is very close and is right at the entrance. The only time it might be an issue is if you want to get up really early and go to Bryce Point (others may prefer some other spot but not me) to see a spectacular sunrise. Whether inpark or slightly further away (such as Rubys) you've got to be careful driving in the dark.

Some people will write that they stayed 10-20 miles away and it was fine. We all have different styles of travel and what we want to get out of it. If at all possible I like to stay inpark. Of course, not all parks (for instance Arches) have inpark lodging.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stay in the park. The setting can't be beat. Try for a cabin.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We love staying in the cabins. We roll right out of bed to walk to the rim to watch the sunrise. It just can't be beat!
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 03:59 AM

Another vote for in-park lodging (we enjoyed the cabins). We liked being able to get up and out into nature early in the day without having to drive.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 06:55 AM
J62

If you only care about travel distance then staying just outside the park at Ruby's is just fine. It's only a very short drive to the rim & the various lookout points.

But at Bryce, once you cross into the park you're in a different world. Woods, pine trees, and the Canyon right there. No honkey tonk, no buses full of tourists crowding the gift shop, etc. Once you step outside the park you might as well be in any tourist trap on Main St. USA.

Staying immersed in the national park atmosphere & nature is part of the joy of visiting a place like Bryce.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 10:14 AM

Agree with staying in the park. The cabins at Bryce Canyon Lodge are very comfortable, and the location can't be beat.

I've stayed both inside and outside at a number of the parks and always enjoyed staying inside more. For some reason, it really does enhance the experience.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM

Here are the pros and cons for pretty much all Lodges in National Parks

Pros

1. Location Location Location
2. Time Saving(some more than others)
3. History (lots of history in the lodges)
4. Food-I find most of the food actually pretty decent
I typically do not like any of their buffets or cafeteria style foods
5. No TV, No Telephones, No Wifi (some consider this a con)
6. A lot of the lodges have Ranger events/talks at night

Cons
1. Some have good value, most are a bit on the high side for what you are getting
2. Staff--A lot of college and foreign help(usually fine though)
3. Paper thin walls, rattling pipes, creeky floors and stairs.
If you are in a stand alone cabin, things are generally pretty quiet though.
4. Critters-bugs, mice,marmots, birds, and squirrels. We have experienced just about everything in our stays there except a bear being in our room and that isn't totally out of the question at some of them.
5. Some of them are in poor condition

There is everything from The Awahnee to Tent Cabins in national parks. I like them all.

Bryce Lodge was designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood. So Parkitechture is big at all of his lodges. I think this is one of the few that has never burned. Ruby's has a lot of history to it as well. But it is super touristy, IMOP.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM

I drove the entire 124 miles or whatever it was of Utah's scenic byway 12 along side Bryce and the entire thing blew my mind it was spectacular. That whole area is simply amazing.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Since your trip is next year, take the opportunity to get a cabin in the park. At some national parks, there is no lodging (except camping) in the park. And in some parks, you'll find great lodging and services right outside the park (ie: Zion NP). But at Bryce, staying in the park is a big plus. Easy access to the canyon rim and trails is wonderful, especially at sunrise/sunset.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 05:18 PM

Even if you can't get a cabin, it is still worth it to stay in the park. More serene than staying in the hub bub of Ruby's.
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 11:56 AM

It all boils down to what you value. Ruby's will have more typical motel-like accomodations and food but, you could be anywhere at that point.

The park will have more rustic rooms and cabins. The restaurant at Bryce is actually better than most NP fare but not 5 star or anything. You will be waited on by a college student and they are often from somewhere else on the planet than the U.S. We've had some interestng conversations.

The real bonus, especially at Bryce, is when all the tourists leave in the evening and just the few who lodge in the park remain. It is a great time to go out and wander. The canyon by moonlight is special and the night sky at that elevation and with that clean air is spectacular. You only think you've seen the Milky Way...once you've seen it at Bryce, you'll know what I mean.

Get up early for sunrise as well. It will be chilly but it is a sight to behold.

I don't think staying in the park is necessary at all National Parks but at Bryce I think it is.
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 01:10 PM

We saw the Milky Way at the NR GC. I asked"what is that big cloud?" I was told, "the Milky Way". Without the light pollution, it was truly amazing to see!
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 06:14 PM

You can see satellites with the naked eye in many places in Utah
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 05:50 PM

I think spirobulldog gave you some of the best pros and cons. I haven't stayed in the park lodge- but I have camped in the park. It is a beautiful place to be when the traffic clears out and the stars come out.
But I have also stayed at Ruby's (there are two Best Westerns, the Bryce Grand is the new one) just outside the park. It certainly didn't affect my appreciation of the park nor my overall experience.
Staying in the historic cabins which are a "little bit rustic" could be seen as part of the experience. Enjoy the modern conveniences elsewhere.