Amtrak to DC, then sightseeing

Old May 15th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtrak to DC, then sightseeing

We plan on taking Amtrak from Chicago to DC. We don't feel the need to get a car in DC as I have been reading about the parking issues and high parking fees. Can anyone suggest a hotel to stay at? We want to visit the memorials, the Smithsonian, the usal hot spots. Close to metro and walking distance to some stuff. Can you take the metro to Arlington National Cemetery? How about the zoo?
What is the best way to get from the train station to our hotel?
We will have 2 kids with us, 12 and 9. We are planning for next summer 2014. June or Aug - which would be less hot- is there such a thing?!
Thank you in advance!
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:11 AM

What is the best way to get from the train station to our hotel?

Hard to say since you haven't picked a hotel yet!

It would help if we knew your hotel budget (per night)? Will you all share one room (and therefore need two queen or bigger beds, I assume)? Or are you looking for a suite hotel like a Residence Inn or the like?
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

We would all stay in one room, so 2 queen beds at least.
Would like a coffee pot and mini fridge in room to keep snacks.
Budget, like to be under $200 per night, not sure if that is possible??
As far as location to train station, I was trying to find hotels with easy access to the train station.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Washington Union Station is on top of a major Metro station.
There are many nice hotels in the area of Pentagon and Arlington. If you don't want to stay in the District, you can try for hotels in Silver Springs, Arlington or even Greenbelt if you wanted to go to Baltimore as well.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:56 AM

Metro will bring you almost everywhere you want to go in DC including Union Station, Arlington Cemetery and the Zoo. Use www.wmata.com for Metro info.

June will be the "cooler" of the 2 months but not by much and June could still be very busy. I will never go in August again as it was ~90-95 degrees every day in 2011 when I was there.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM

The Days Inn on Conneticut Ave may be an option. It is one short block to the Metro stop and withing walking distance to the Zoo. There is a little market across the street for snacks, etc. The Metro will take you almost anywhere you want to go.

Upon arrival at the train station (Union Station), you can get the Metro - Red Line on the next level and be at The Days Inn in no time.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
June is generally a cooler month than August. August is the worst month in DC -- hot, humid and often hazy. Early June is often quite pleasant weather. The later in the month the hotter it may get.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM

Two years ago I went with my sister and our children (5 and 15). We got the Embassy Suites Convention Center for around $200 and thought it worth it because of the two rooms and the included breakfast, which was lavish and definitely a plus with a teenage boy. There was also an evening snack, mostly chips and salsa, but also beverages, both alcoholic and non. August dates for this year are in that ball park ($129-$219)
Old May 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM

Good afternoon snerak66,

As one person mentioned, since you're not telling us about a specific hotel, it's obviously hard to say how to get from here to there.

But if you imagine DC to be Downtown Chicago, we can agree that using public transportation is best and easiest way to get around DC.

Also, it's hard to tell what you feel it's affordable or not when it comes to hotels in DC. But this is my opinion, I would rather spend a little more staying in a hotel within the district than out in the suburbs, like Arlington, Virginia or as one person mentioned Silver Spring, Maryland. It is likely that hotels in Arlington, VA could be priced as high as any hotel in DC because of its proximity and ease of access. Because of this, if you find a hotel in the Maryland suburbs that you may find more affordable, it may limit, or restrict your ability to be in the district when you need it. One thing I caution however, is that if you are trying to find a bargain within the district, that your hotel is located in the Northwest or Southwest quadrant of the city. You would know if the letters NW or SW appear at the end as they suppose to. I'd be careful of a hotel listed as having a DC address that does not include the quadrant at the end as this would indicate to me they maybe trying to hide something. The S.E. quadrant of the city is largely an area not even DC residents venture much into, unless you are in the area closest to the Capitol, which will also be very expensive anyway. Pretty much the same would apply to hotels in the NE quadrant.

As for transportation, the Metro is good. I personally try to avoid it and I don't have a car. But then I know the city well and know other options. If this is your first time or haven't been here often, I would stick to the Metro. One caution about the Metro. In my opinion, their "day passes" are a rip off. They cost enough that if you don't use them at least 4 or 5 times, it maybe cheaper to buy individual fares. They are also restricted to non-peak times which means you can not use them during the morning or evening rush hours, so what's the point. Another thing about the Metro: keep a detailed street map handy. If you're in the downtown area, it is often faster to go by foot than to go out your way to transfer to another line that may take you closer to your destination. Any more questions, reply to this thread.
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:15 AM

Round trip for four on Metro between Silver Spring and downtown can be $20 or more, depending on the time of travel. I would rather apply that to a more convenient hotel.
Old May 17th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Here's a wonderful tool for finding hotels near Metro stations - http://www.stationmasters.com/System...ystem_map.html

Click and the various metro stops and hotels will appear as "red squares". The station maps show EXACTLY how far each hotel is from the Metro station entrances (oddly labeled "exits" on the station maps, but they are the entrances too).

Don't assume you can't find a central DC hotel in a nice area - you can with a little research.

In DC, look at (click on) the follow DC metro stations: Union Station, Gallery Place, Metro Center, Dupont Circle, Farragut West, Farragut North, L'Enfant Plaza, Capitol South, Woodley Park-Zoo, McPherson Sq.

If you totally strike out (you won't!), try the Metro station in the Virginia suburbs: King St, Crystal City, Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, Virgina Square, Ballston.

Hotel prices are higher in June than in August but August weather is miserable - WORTH PAYING MORE TO COME IN JUNE!!!
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The Days Inn on Conn Ave NW is a great choice. If you opt for the suburbs, you might look into MD - Chevy Chase or a touch further out the redline metro Bethesda.
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM

I like Dupont Circle area, there is a Residence Inn quite close to the station as well as some other suites type hotels.

Station Masters is the best tool.

Now need to look for a hotel for a few nights in late July..yuk. I didn't pick those dates.
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM

On your trip, do not miss the beautiful Libary of Congress, 1 block behind the Capital. Make sure the kids have seen the movie National Treasure and they will love it too!!!
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:04 PM

But they'll be scarred for life having been forced to watch a Nicolas Cage movie