San Francisco's 5 Best Cult Classic Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New restaurants are great, but there’s just something about San Francisco's true classics. We picked the 5 best cult classic restaurants in the city. How many have you tried? Did we miss any?

http://www.fodors.com/news/san-franc...ants-6629.html
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 08:11 AM

Hmm, I don't normally think of places in terms of "cult" but I guess these should probably be included:

Tartine Bakery
Gary Danko
Slanted Door
La Taqueria
Foreign Cinema (maybe at one time, still cool)
House of Prime Rib

Back in the day, Caribbean Zone would have made the list.

You have a pretty good short list though.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Amy, some of the ones that you've picked would be tourist classics, such as Tommy's Joynt.

The House of Prime Rib (see the youtube with Anthony Bourdain)
Acquerello
Tartine
Zuni Cafe
Fleur de Lys
Yank Sing

Recently Closed
Tommy Toy's
Masa's

Funky
Capps Corner
Bohemian Cigar Store Cafe
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 12:43 PM
nlg

We were in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and went to the Swan Oyster Depot for lunch. We got there right at 10:30 am on a weekday and got right in. We weren't too impressed-the chowder was not very good and the oysters were very small and expensive. Guess we are used to South Carolina oysters. Glad we went and tried it and it is a unique experience, but there are better places to go for lunch.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 01:19 PM

I understand what the intent is but maybe "cult" isn't the right word. Maybe "classic".
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 02:38 PM

We went to Tommy's Joynt many years ago. I still well remember having a buffalo burger there!
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 10:29 PM

our personal cult classics are Fog city diner and Slanted door. Oh, and Ghirardelli for a hot fudge sundae. Those are my son's must haves in SF.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:41 AM

Slanted Door is always a favorite of mine when I visit!
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 06:21 AM

5 great choices no doubt. Back in "the day' - would have also included Sam Wo's in Chinatown (now closed and Edsel Ford Fong was a classic)- and Yank Sing was always reliable, as was the House of Prime Rib for a more formal setting.

The Ghiradelli Chocolate shop? at the Fairmont was also a must - for Hot Fudge Sundays - especially is one had been sampling local "herbs". Hey - it was back in the day (of our youth ).

Can't forget US Cafe (or was it restaurant?) in North Beach - which has the best $4.95 - huge order of fresh/Fried Calamari on Friday nights (their "secret" - changing the cooking oil every 15 minutes when they were full) - and - oh yes, afterwards having a drink/glass of wine/beer at Cafe Trieste in North Beach - was a blast - and as a bonus - well established singers might just be stopping by to jam.

And then going to the poster/record shop across the street (Grant street right) - to check out all the paraphenlia (sp?), and the like.

Also back then - there were 3 Basque restaurants in the North Beach area - and you sat down for a communal/family dinner - with wine - for only $5 or some such.

The 70's in San Francisco were tres incredible.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 07:33 AM

>>

I have lived and/or worked in San Francisco for 40 years. I recently walked by the Fog City Diner (which is less than a mile from my office) and was shocked to see that it's still in business. Honestly, I don't know anyone who eats there. Slanted Door is another story
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I was was a kid in the early 60's, we would go to SF for the California Woolgrowers Convention. My dad was a sheep rancher. The convention was at the new Jack Tar Hotel and across the street was Tommy's Joynt. My sister and I were fascinated with the big old buffalo head hanging outside and the thought of eating buffalo burgers. Our parents refused to take us there because of the "hippies and weirdos" hanging around the place! Now that I am in control of my own life, I will have to give it a try!

This thread has me thinking of LoveItaly. She would have some great recollections of SF of the past.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love Swan's but do get there early. To avoid the above poster's displeasure just ask for their largest oyster.
The chowder is thinner and different than Boston but I love it.
They also serve a simple crab Louis that is loaded with fresh dungeness.Try it with an Anchor Steam draft.
It is not cheap but it is special.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 09:21 AM

As it turns out, Fog City Diner has closed as of March 15th.

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog...lete-overhaul/
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 09:37 AM

Fog City is supposed to reopen later this year without the "Diner" part:

http://www.fogcitydiner.com/
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM

So, I agree with Bluestar. It depends on what do you consider a classic in terms of food. But as for your choices I guess you meant traditional restaurants in the city or very famous among locals for their taste and price. I noticed that you included La Taqueria. Were you referring to El Farolito Taqueria? This place is well known for the size of the burritos. This is excellent. Another good one is Burma Super Star but this is in case you are really into salad. And finally, Tartine Barkery and Café where the best orange-cinnamon rolls in town are sold. As you see classics are everywhere in SF.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 03:31 PM

I'm sure the poster meant La Taqueria and not El Faro.

https://www.google.com/search?q=la+t...hrome&ie=UTF-8