Chile itinerary for August for English only speakers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to be in Chile in August for about 2 weeks with my husband. I would like to do Easter Island for 4 or 5 days, the San Pedro de Atacama area, Santiago, Valparaiso and some wine country exploration. What is the drive from Valparaiso to the Colchagua Valley Wine area like? We like to rent a car when possible and use local guides. Where would this work for us and when would it be better to do local tours? Can anyone recommend local guides for these areas? How difficult is it if we don't speak Spanish? Finally, what kind of weather can we expect? Any responses to my many questions would be helpful. Thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 04:22 PM

We went to Valpraiso & Vin Delmar last year and was surprised how few spoke any English.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Even if you speak Spanish, communicating with Chileans is difficult! They speak rapidly and tend to clip off the ends of words. I would definitely invest in good guidebooks and maps, and do a lot of research before you go. Probably the best help you will get with spoken English is in bigger hotels that cater to international tourists.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had more trouble with people not speaking English in Argentina than in Chile. However, there was one hotel in Puerto Natales where I needed to use Google Translate.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM

Bev:

Bev:
You are aware that Easter Island is a lengthy plane trip...almost cross-country USA. A good part of two of your 4 days will be spent mostly airborne. We opted not to do it.
We traveled independently by rental car. I speak Spanish only fairly well, hardly used it, had no problem getting around on our own. Mlgb's advice above post is good to heed.

We found that Chileans are hospitable, friendly and fun.

We also skipped the Atacama, concentrating on Santiago south...took in Val'po, Vina del Mar, wine country (ain't nothing like Napa Valley IMO),and visited a notable horse ranch at Hacienda Los Lingues...the gorgeous lake district from Temuco south to Puerto Montt...did the very scenic Andean lake crossing into Bariloche. Highways are well-maintained and signed, #5 PanAm highway is divided at places...maybe all the way through by now.

August is winter time.

Here are some pics with which to familiarize and contemplate. (I see you're in LA, as we are, Mulholland-Beverly Glen area). Write: sgtbranko at aol dot com.

Stuart Tower

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...ocheArgentina#
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 04:07 PM

My mistake..I missread your handle as Beverlyla...sorry.