Lisbon---In the City or Out?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Lisbon for a week at Easter, first trip for myself and my 9 year old daughter. 2nd trip for my husband, but that was years ago. We live in Germany and have travelled extensively throughout Europe.

Would you stay in the city? Or stay in Cais Cais? I have a friend who used to live in Cais Cais, but I am not sure we want to be too far from Lisbon, and we do not want to split up the hotel stays. Which would be better? We want to do day trips, we are not into late night partying or bar hopping at all. But we want to see the "sites".

Any suggestions, or parts of Lisbon to stay in are welcome, we want to spend between 100-150 euros per night, we do not want a loud hotel or one with thin walls. Been there and done that. We would like to have WIFI in the rooms, we would like good accessibility to trains/buses to see diff parts of the area.

Would love access to a pool, are the pools heater or not usually in April? Tennis and spa are a huge bonus.

Thanks,
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM

cannot answer most pf your questions, but, sadly, the pools will not open before may.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 12:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would base in Lisbon and take day trips if ypu wish. It's a small city with history, great food, wonderdul places to walk.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM

I would definitely base yourself in Lisbon. It's very easy to do day trips from London to Sintra and cascais etc. but for the rest of the time you can walk around and enjoy the sights of Lisbon.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 01:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We did pne day trip to Sintra, another to CaisCais, both nice, but we were glad we chose to be in Lisbon.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely stay in Lisbon. Click on my name for my Lisbon TR. With that budget you might look into staying in an apartment., or you might find a deal on the Avenida Palace, which is ideally located.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 07:29 AM

Well I wanted to weigh in with a differing opinion - my daughter and I planned a trip last spring with 5 nights in Lisbon but eventually during the planning process I decided to base in Caiscais and I was glad I made that decision. Lisbon is a IMO a large, hectic city, a bit down at the heels compared to other large European cities we have visited. Cascais is much more relaxed - still plenty of nice restuarant options but not nearly as frantic. It probably did not help my opinion of Lisbon that on the first day we went into the city, within 5 minutes we were targeted by pickpockets (fortunately we stopped them) and then witnessed a tram hitting a pedestrian!

We were quite content to be a bit away from the action in the evenings out in Cascais. You can easily get into Lisbon from there by train (runs frequently and cheap!) also same train stops at Belem, and we took a bus to Sintra for a daytrip. We were at the Grand Real Villa Italia which was gorgeous (has a spa) you could email them to see if their pool is open in April. We were there in May with warm weather which also probably contributed to being glad we stayed out of Lisbon.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies....we def do not mind the hustle and bustle during the day. Just in he evenings we want to unwind and we are not late night people really. We usually stay in the city centers of major cities, but now we are not sure what to do.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 08:33 AM

I'm sure that you will enjoy your trip wherever you decide to stay - in summary I would say the Lisbon is more urban and maybe? sort of like Budapest as far as being a bit worn. Cascais is more resort-like but IMO still with a Portuguese vibe (I'm from the US). I think it does cater alot to northern European visitors but it wasn't as "country neutered" as parts of the Costa del Sol, if you know what I mean! There is a great walk along the sea and it would be a very nice place to rent and ride bikes if you wanted to do that on your trip.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Ok I think we are doing in the city, now I need a hotel. I don't think we want an appt.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 05:11 AM

Price range?
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 06:24 AM

Beth...I think the VIP Eden might be within your price range..it was about three years ago when we stayed there. Found it to be central, just a short walk to the train station, Praca Rossio, and pedestrian Rua Augusta..next door to the cable car that takes you to colorful Bairro Alto in a minute or two.

It has a beautiful rooftop pool with great views of the city..don't know if it would be open at Easter time. It was when we stayed there in early May. It's not the Ritz, but large comfortable rooms and bathrooms, friendly desk, clean, with elevators. It was an old movie theater with a facade that is quite unusual.
stu
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 06:27 AM

VIP Eden is certainly a good location, just up from the Avenida Palace that I mentioned above. However, unlike Stu, I was not impressed with my room. It didn't look over the square and it was tired and worn.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 06:28 AM

http://www.edenaparthotelvip.com/

web pages for the VIP Eden
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM

I love the Avenida Palace. although I haven't been there in years. I found the location and staff excellent.

Please be sure to go to a Fado one night. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks off to check that out!
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM

Looks like Pestana hotels are offering extra special prices for Easter, according to an email I gor this morning.. Check them out if you haven't resv'ed yet!!!. They are very nice
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM

KW..I guess we lucked out..had a large very well appointed room overlooking Restauradores and Avenida Libertad..with a small balcony. I asked as I usually do,to see a few rooms and got the pick of the day.

The Avenida Palace is much more elegant, and was full of intrigue during WW II, as headquarters for every spy in town. It plays a role in my new historical novel.
stu
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 04:50 PM

Stu - I had a prepaid internet rate, so less leverage...
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

After looking at tons of hotels, finally booked the Corinthia Hotel Lisbon, the reviews were good, good location and a pretty quiet hotel with lots of amenities like a spa, pool, free WIFI in the rooms. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the help and advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -