Search

NYC - first timers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - first timers

This is a rather broad question - forgive me if I should have found the info in previous posts/archives, as I didn't see it - We are a fairly well-traveled couple (Europe, Mexico, South America, USA, Canada) in our early 60s, but have never visited New York City. (Actually, I briefly lived in the lower East Side and in Brooklyn in the summer of 1968 - hardly remember any of it, for various reasons!)

We are planning a week-long trip to NYC in late September - early October, and are thinking it might be a good idea to look for an apartment or flat. I started looking through VRBO, but realized I have no idea of which neighborhoods are best for our needs.

We are good at using public transportation - subways in major cities (Paris, Madrid, Mexico City, San Francisco, Rome, etc.) have been easy and convenient for us - and we enjoy history, museums (not too much art in one week, though), ethnic foods, walking, getting to know locals and local culture. We're not big shoppers. Maybe one Broadway show would be nice.

I'm thinking we'll contact New York Greeters for a tour, and perhaps look for some other walking tours. We are both quite fit, and enjoy long walks.

Any suggestions as to where we should consider staying? Sights and events not to be missed? We aren't looking for super cheap accommodations, but on the other hand, we're not high rollers, either.

Thanks in advance for any information or ideas anyone might have - or for pointing me in the right direction for such!
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM

When it comes to sights and things to do, a guidebook might be in order, especially for first time visitors.

One thing that is often overlooked is the subway art:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623088372713/
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:22 AM

You figured wrong with respect to the NYC apt. rentals. They are a bad idea because many are scams or illegal.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6...t.Rentals.html

You can use the search engine here also to find out more on the subject.

You picked an expensive time of year to go.

You have not mentioned your exact dates or nightly budget.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:30 AM

First, you need to understand that subletting an apartment for less than 30 days in NYC is illegal. there are many people advertising such. Quite a few are scams. Others are doing it despite knowing it is ilegla. The city is making an effort to crack down on this -but due to the number of apts involved what they can do is limited. But if neighbors complain about the problem - the city can - and has - evicted illegal tenants in the middle of the night. (When they shut an illegal hostel all the guests had to find other places to stay at 2 am.)

There are a few legal sublets - if the owner of a townhouse chooses to rent one floor out short-term - but this is rare and not easy to find.

Strongly suggest that if you want more room you check legal apartment hotels - Radio City Apts, the Affinia group and the Beacon hotel. However, these are ususally good deals - and often fill up months in advance.

And you should know that Oct is heading into high season and deals will be hard to find - so if you provide a specific budget people can make better recos.

As for where to stay - do you want frantic (Times Square) busy but residential (upper west side), trendy (SoHo or Chelsea), elegant (east midtown or central park south).

In any case the key point is proximity to a subway station.

As for what to see/do - my list would be

SoL/Ellis Island
Top of the Rock
the Met
Museum Natu; Hist
Staten Island Ferry
NY Historical Society
Grand Central Station
Main branch NY Library Reading Room
Explore central park
Several B;way shows
Lot of lunches and dinners at sidewalk cafe in different neighborhoods getting the feel of them

And you may well find the areas you used to live in are now uber trendy and ultra expensive.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Oh - and it's Big Apple Greeters.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Okaaaaay ... I get it. Maybe an apartment or flat will not be the way to go. The kitchen part is what always draws me to having an apartment - but perhaps that's not a possibility in NYC. What about other boroughs? Is the law the same everywhere?

Any suggestions for reasonable alternatives?

Had no idea that October was the beginning of high season.

Thank you so far for the info - even though it's kinda bursting my bubble.

We're just beginning to consider this trip, so we have plenty of time to make adjustments to our preconceptions.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:43 AM

No maybe about it. There are apartment style hotels. Radio City Apartments is one that comes to mind. I think Beacon is another company.

The "boroughs" are just as much a part of NYC as Manhattan

If you at least give your nightly budget, people can say if it's reasonable. Not expensive etc. descriptors are useless.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:00 AM

if you're thinking something to the tune of less than $100 per night, the Ramada in Newark (directly across from the airport) is an option. It's very clean. a shuttle will taxi you to the airport and a train will bring you into the city
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Let's not recommend drastic surgery like staying in Newark to see New York unless absolutely necessary!
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM

First, the area around Newark airport is a dump. Second, keep in mind the train option will cost two people about $50 a day round-trip!
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking that about $1500 for a week's lodging would fit our budget. We don't want to be outside the city - i.e. Newark or near the airport - and thank you for the info on the boroughs being just as much a part of NYC as Manhatten is.

We aren't looking at VRBO apartments anymore. We get it that that is not a good way to go.

I will check the legal apartment hotels mentioned above.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 06:34 PM

What about the Gracie Inn Hotel? I looked at it for my family, but they didn't have a suite for us. They have a kitchenette. In late September, it came up at $199 before tax. Here's the address so the native NYers can comment: 502 East 81st Street. http://www.gracieinnhotel.com/

The other hotel that looked like a possibility was the Newton at $202/night. But I don't remember the reviews well enough here.

We stayed at an Affinia but I don't think they're as close to your budget especially for the time of year.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 04:18 AM

If you go for this kind of thing check out Air B and B...can find some good deals to stay that way, check reviews for the place! Have FUN!
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 05:09 AM

NO. Do not check Air B and B unless you want to rent a room in someone's apartment.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM

The law applies to all of New York state. It might be easier to find someone willing to rent part of a house in the outer boroughs - but then it could easily take you an hour or more to get to and from the city.

The afinia group is a chain of hotels in converted apartment houses and all suites have basic kitchens, some full kitchens. As do Radio city apts and the suites at the Beacon - which used to be an apartment hotel. All are reliable - but check now since they sell out.

The Newton is a reliable budget hotel (you budget is very low for that time of year) but I don;t know if they have kitchen facilities. Oct is heading into high season and you probably need to spend more like $300 per night to get something decent.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:29 AM

>>

It does? I'm surprised by that -- obviously, the purpose of the law in NYC is to keep rental units for the regular population of renters, as opposed to vacation renters, since they're in short supply. But Elmira? Albany? Skaneateles? Is it really the same problem?
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Don't know the conditions in other places - but it's a state law.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 12:50 PM

Your budget is not unrealistic but at that time of year it will be. The UN general Assembly, fashion week, and busy fall social calendar keep hotels filled and prices are based on supply and demand. I think you need to up the budget, change the dates or consider staying outside Manhattan in an easily commutable location like Long Island City in Queens, part of NYC and connected by subway. There are quite a few good hotels there near a subway like the Verve, Country Inn &Suites, Holiday Inn Mnahattan View, Fairfield In. Queensborough bridge (not the other Fairfield inn which ian't near the subway). You can be in Manhattan in 15 mins. Be careful though because not all the LIC hotels are near a subway station.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 12:54 PM

The Canal Park Inn is another b & b that I think is a bit nicer than the Gracie Inn and has one room that will fir your budget. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:17 PM

Never heard of the Gracie Inn - but it's a very inconvenient location - not near any subway. Not familiar with the Canal Park but it appears to be stairs, not an elevator - which can be a PIA if you have to haul luggage up 5 long steep flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -