Favorite Southern Africa guidebook?

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Southern Africa guidebook?

I'm debating between guidebook brands and between taking 1 larger more general "Southern Africa" guidebook v. 3-4 smaller country-specific books.

I'll be living in South Africa for 3 months and Zambia 1 month, and then spending 1 month traveling through Botswana and Namibia, maybe Mozambique.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 04:31 PM

I just spent a year based in Cape Town, and I went with several guide books. I put a couple in my carry-on, so that all of the weight was not in my suitcase, which I knew would be weighed. Neither BA or SAA weighed my carry-on.

My personal favourites are: for South Africa: Fodor's and Frommer's, and for Botswana, Namibia and Zambia: no contest - the Bradt Guides. You can order the Bradt Guides online, although they are readily available in bookstores here in Canada. Just make certain that you are purchasing the latest edition - I always check the Bradt/Frommer's/Fodor's websites to ensure that a new edition is not about to be released.

I find the Southern Africa books too lacking in detail. CR
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:03 AM

Why lug guidebooks around the airports. Pickup the books you need in South Africa. The chain bookstores have good selections like https://www.cna.co.za/Pages/SearchRe...Bradt%20zambia
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:06 AM

I do much of my research/reading (and therefore have the books) long before I leave Canada. Also, I like to read the books on the long plane rides on my way to Africa - such great excitement and anticipation! The Bradt Guides are near impossible to find in SA (at least they were when I was there) although, of course, you are still able to order them by mail, as long as you do not mind the wait. So, I lug! CR
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM

For a stay like yours, I like Footprint South Africa. It covers the whole country, not just the tourist centers, so it's useful when you want to spend a day or weekend close to where you work, or when you don't have time to get to Kruger or Vic Falls or whatever.

Have a wonderful time!

Celia