Search

2 nights between Munich and Slovenia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
2 nights between Munich and Slovenia

Hi,

We're looking to travel anywhere from early Sept. to mid Oct. by car, flying into/out of Munich airport.

Plan is:
Arrive Munich airport early am. and drive to Zell am See for 2 nights
Drive to the Postojna area and stay 2 nights
Drive to Lake Bled and stay 4 nights
Drive to Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden and stay 3 nights
Afternoon flight to back to the U.S.

We're looking for suggestions for an alternative to Zell am See. We've been to Zell am See twice before and would maybe like to see someplace we haven't been before, but would like it to be roughly midway between Munich airport and Postojna. Driving 2 to 3 hours after arriving at Munich airport is not a problem, as we've done it many times. The drive for Munich airport to Postojna is roughly 5-6 hours. Any favorites or suggestions for a town/village or B&B/Pension style place to stay our first 2 nights?

We've been to Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, Ramsau, Konigsee, St. Gilgen, Hallstatt, Zell am See and Heiligenblut before, so anywhere other than those also.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Paul,
We enjoyed Piran on the Slovenian coast, And, 4 nites in the Bled area sounds like overkill--have you seen Ljubljana?
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,

We plan on:
From our base in Postojna:
Visitnig Piran and Predjama castle and taking it easy.

From our base near/on Lake Bled:
Spending an afternoon and evening in Ljubljana
Vogel cable car trip,
Seeing Lake Bohinj
Driving the Vršič Pass loop
Driving to and visiting the Logarska Dolina area, including the Panorama Road there.

Paul
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:56 AM

I flew into Munich myself on the way to Slovenia last year, but I took the train to Slovenia so that restricted my stops. I stopped in Salzburg and Graz in Austria and then in Maribor, Slovenia for a couple of nights with a day trip to Ptuj. Maribor is a nice town - not amazing but worth a visit. I didn't have a car and had no interest in wine, but winery tours have become a thing there it seems if you have a car and want to see them/do tasting tours (well, maybe the driver couldn't). From Maribor, Ptuj makes a great day trip - I think it's the oldest town in Slovenia. Graz is worth a stop by car for a few hours if you happen to be driving through.

I agree that Piran is a lovely town, a great place to "take it easy" by the seaside even if there isn't a lot to do in the town. I skipped Postojna - maybe it's lovely too, but I love the ocean. I saw the Skocjan Caves instead, because I heard they were a lot less touristy than the ones at Postojna.

Lake Bohinj is wonderful. You could easily spend the afternoon hiking out there and it's easy to get to from Bled by car. I thought the cable car ride was not worth the expense or time invested. I spent two nights in Bled then drove from Bled over the Vrsic Pass in an afternoon and wound up in Kobarid (wanted to see the museum). Two nights was plenty in Bled - it makes a convenient base for Triglav National Park etc. but it's pretty dead at night. Ljubljana in my opinion is a much more fun place to spend an evening.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Good plan---can I tag along?
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. You're welcome to "tag along"!

Andrew, I looked through your "report" at Portlandbridges a while ago. I'll take another look.

We figured on spending an afternoon and evening in Ljubljana and then maybe another evening if Lake Bled is "pretty dead". We actually don't mind "pretty dead" in the evenings and at night.

If nothing else comes up, I guess we can make due with another 2 nights in Zell am See.

Paul
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 08:55 AM

Hi Paul. Did you end up doing this drive? My family will also drive from Munich to Lake Bled (and back) this June. We're looking for 1 or 2 places to stop along the way, possibly including an overnight stay. We haven't seen any of the places you mentioned you had already been to. Would you recommend any of those for a stopover or possibly one or 2 of the ones you ended up doing more recently? Thanks.
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 06:58 AM

Hi,

We did not make it to Lake Bled. We changed plans and stayed in Ramsau am Dachstein. Absolutely wonderful, high alpine scenic area. Loved it. We stayed at Pension Haus Maria (perfect) and the Der Dachstein cable car trip was the hands down highlight of our trip. And we’ve done many, but not like this one.

It’s also close to midway between Munich and Bled.

Paul
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 07:00 AM

Have a look....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjbass...57645542889895
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 07:01 AM

This should also help...

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...JZTcEfwuZNZBU_
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 07:09 AM

I didn’t realize my wife was logged in! LOL