Saratoga Springs to Lake Placid, or...?

Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saratoga Springs to Lake Placid, or...?

I have an extra day or 2 around a trip to Saratoga Springs this weekend. I know the immediate area pretty well, but I was wondering if it makes sense to take a day trip to Lake Placid. a place I've wanted to visit but can't seem to squeeze in!. I'd rather stay overnight, but last minute foliage and holiday weekend rates are too high for me.

Does it make any sense for me to drive 2 hours each way to Lake Placid? What could I see there in such a short time, and is there a more scenic route that I could take one way?

If the trip seems silly, where else would you recommend I spend my extra day? I've been to the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake (loved it) and The Hyde Collection , nice but there's nothing I want to see there right now. I see that Gore Mountain has a harvest festival but I think its probably more for kids and very crowded.

Any suggestions for Lake Placid Itinerary or alternate ideas welcome.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
J62

I'm headed to Lake George on Saturday for a bike ride so I haven't looked into what's going on around town.

Let me poke around a bit & see what I can find is going on in the Saratoga area.

The weather isn't supposed to be great, so I'm not sure I'd drive 2hrs to Lake Placid. Leaf colors are well shy of peak in the area so this weekend you'd need to go further north for leaf peeping.

There's always Mrs. London's...
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Mrs. London's is a given
And there's another branch of Hattie's I may try.

The NYS foliage report looks like it's showing Lake Placid and other places north of Saratoga as midpoint or peak.
http://www.iloveny.com/What-To-Do/Re...ge-Report.aspx
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
J62

I've heard good things about the Hatties on Rt 50 by exit 15. Atmosphere of the one downtown is classic, but apparently the food is the same.

I guess you know the town, but if you need any Saratoga advice just holler.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:35 AM

If you didn't want to drive the 2 hours each way to Lake Placid, I would reccomend 2 other local places that are closer:

Bolton Landing on Lake George, the town is very cute with shops, you can stroll on the grounds of the Sagamore Resort (one of my favorite places) and have lunch/ dinner there.

Head to Manchester Vermont, it is about 1 hour and 15 minutes, is a quaint town, and has a bunch of higher end outlet stores, but tastefully done. The drive to both areas would be lovely and relatively rural and not as far as Lake Placid.

It all depends on how far you really want to drive! Have a good time whatever you do!
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
J62

paris has good taste...

According to www.saratoga.com there's an Oktoberfest street festival in Lake George Village this Saturday.

You can check that website for other festivals or activities. I searched and didn't come up with anything hot this weekend.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I didn't see anything interesting in the events listings for Saratoga and since I'll be there for a couple days anyway, I wanted to venture out for more scenery and activity the other day or two.

I'm not a fan of Lake George but Bolton Landing could work. I thought about staying at the Sagamore, but I can't justify the price.

Is there any place nearby to rent a kayak for a couple of hours on a lake or tame river if the weather turns better?

Any other scenic routes that would get me some northern foliage viewing but also something else to see like a small museum or historic site. As I mentioned above, I've driven the road past Gore Mountain to the Adirondack Museum, but I'd rather try a different road.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
J62

http://saratogakayak.com/

Kayaks

On Fish Creek, just 10min from town. It's creek that feeds into Saratoga Lake.

Or on Lake Moreau - not sure if they are still open. The park is, yes, but not sure about kayak rentals.

http://nysparks.com/parks/150/fees-rates.aspx
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, j62, I've been to Lake Moreau and I'm trying to remember if I kayaked there.