Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time Europe one month itinerary - all comments appreciated!

Old Sep 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,
I'll be travelling to Europe for the first time with my 3 boys (ages 11, 14 and 16) for one month. We love the outdoors more than cities so will try and mix it up as much as possible. I have a rough destination list below and would love any comments, suggestions and advice. We've travelled extensively around Australia (home) and NZ so are good travellers and up for adventure! Many thanks in advance!

Arrive London - recovery and about 2 days
Iceland - southern region - 6 days
Paris - 3 days
Switzerland - 7 days. Thinking the Jungfrau Region? Do I need a car?
Venice - 1 or 2 days (should I drive from Switzerland?)
Rome - 4 days (stopping at Pisa on the way perhaps)

I'm allowing the extra time for travel between places.
Is this itinerary too ambitious?
Any suggestions for gorgeous 'homely' apartments/ b&b's to stay?
Also would prefer to stay away from crowds if at all possible, but this may be unrealistic though. Any ideas are really appreciated
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, forgot to mention we'll be travelling in September 2013....
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 02:57 PM

I don't find Iceland interesting for 6 days, and even in September you could find weather curtails some outdoor adventures. It is also very expensive when it comes to food. Have you checked out the cost of feeding 3 boys? Besides, if you are coming from NZ, is Iceland really such a thrill?

Maybe you've already zeroed in on whaling adventures or other only-in-Iceland activities, and I've no comment on that. But there are great outdoor adventures in the UK, with castles to boot, and September is a nice month to go.

Also, I get it you don't like cities, but they often have great climbing adventures -- like going up the towers of Notre Dame in Paris, or the base of the Eiffel tower, and the huge parks of Paris offer lots of outdoor fun. Ditto for London and its environs. If you stay in the UK for the first part of your trip. you could take the train to Paris from London and avoid all that airport hassle.

You don't need a car in Switzerland, and you can find a scenic train route from Switzerland through Verona to Venice.

I suggest you stop in Pisa and not include Rome. If you can find a way, passing through Verona, to make a stop to see the Colosseum there, that might be a treat.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Pizzocchieri, I appreciate your input. Glad to know I don't need a car in Switzerland. But I'll definitely be visiting Iceland, I'm a geologist and it would be divine for me and even my boys will love it. We live in Vic, Australia, so we're miles from any volcanic activity.

I'll have to look into Pisa, I don't know much about it at all. I'm curious as to why I should give Rome a miss, is it too far south for my itinerary you think?
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 05:12 PM

Go to Iceland first. Then rework your itinerary.
Your mountains in New Zealand would easily rival Switzerland, so to me it might be "more of the same" as opposed to things you don't have down under.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM

I would agree to spend less time in Iceland and consider a day or so less in Switzerland. You're really shortchanging London, Paris and Rome.

I know you don't like crowds and want to do lots of outdoors things - but 1 day in London (since te first will be lost to jet lag) just doesn't make sense. Also I would definitely add a day to Paris - and one to rome if possible. Each of these is the capital of a country with a completely different culture - and Rome esp has 2500 years of history to absorb.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM

The days listed do not add up to a month.

Drop Paris, since you are not crazy about cities, and fly from London to Bordeaux or Limoges. Rent a car a visit the Dordogne (caves and castles), drive over the Auvergne (old volcanic mountains) to Switzerland. You can either drive Switzerland or use public transportation, but be forewarned that without a pass, Swiss trains are very expensive. If driving, leave the car at the Geneva airport on the French side so as not to incur cross-border drop-off fees, and take the train to Italy to continue your trip.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM

I like Michael's suggestion. The Dordogne is a great part of France to visit, and certainly more interesting for 3 boys than Paris.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 07:26 PM

BTW, I think that you would find the Rouffignac cave to be also geologically interesting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...64797649/show/

Get a guidebook for the Dordogne--the Guide Michelin is good for what there is to see.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Don't drop Paris. Your sons might love it. 2-3 days is not enough.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM

Ah, Iceland for 6 days. SO JEALOUS. You'll have a blast. Definitely visit Vik and make sure to read up on the troll population of Iceland, the kids will find it fascinating. You may even see some (we did). The landscape will change every 15 minutes - be ready to make many, many stops along the way. Then again it seems you've planned 6 days so should be more than enough time.
I found London to be an easy 2 day trip and didn't feel like I missed out on anything, however other posters here seem much more interested in London than I was.
I would agree that you should try and add another day to Rome, unless you plan on coming back to Italy soon. It's really a huge city and everywhere you turn there is something to marvel at.
Pisa's eh. It's a building, it's leaning, you stop and take the picture. You pretend to hold up/push up the building. It may be worth it for the photo opportunity for the kids, otherwise I'd skip it until you do a longer Italy tour.

If you are outdoorsy, maybe take some time to drive around Tuscany. It is really quite stunning and a lunch in the Italian farmland is a memory you'll have forever.

Have a blast.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM

Strauberry,

You wrote: "I'm curious as to why I should give Rome a miss, is it too far south for my itinerary you think?"

You say you are not keen on cities, and your trip is already pretty jam-packed. I figure if you stopped at Pisa, it would be easier, giving you more time to enjoy the other destinations.

Now you've mentioned you are geologist, i am wondering if you want to see the Dolomiti. I think they surpass the Alps in Switzerland for scenery. I realize that's saying a lot, but I do feel that way. They are unique.

I would suggest 5 days in the Dolomiti and perhaps more time in Venice. On a day trip from Venice, you could see the Roman arena in Verona, and also enjoy the pink granite town.

Just my suggestion, but how about:

Arrive London - recovery and about 2 days
Iceland - southern region - 6 days
Paris - 3 days
Venice - 3 day
Dolomiti - 5 days. (You need a car.)
Last near Milan airport or Venice airport to fly home.

I'm assuming you can't fly from Iceland to some place convenient to the Dolomiti. If you can, that would be great, and then I would suggest you see Venice, go to Paris, and fly home from there.

For logistical/transport reasons, it might
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, very much appreciated. Can't wait to spy a troll or 2!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car usage, you cannot use a car in Venice (just expensive car park) and public transport is great in the Swiss/Italy area. There are some great threads on this site about Iceland (I did one poor one) but "Mom's gone to Iceland" is perfect for you in terms of understanding the way to enjoy the countryside in Iceland. You do want a car in Iceland if you want to get out and about and are experienced in rough driving. If not experienced there are loads of tours and a few public buses (but no trains and just a few planes).
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM

Switzerland - 7 days. Thinking the Jungfrau Region? Do I need a car?>

definitely not, especially in Jungfrau Region where cars cannot even go above a few towns and even you other cities Paris and Venice are places where no one drives around to see sights - take the train between those cities and then the superb public transportation once there.

In Switzerland consider the Swiss Pass if for no other reason than you two kids under 15 get a free Family Pass with it and never have to pay a dime - even for normally pricey aerial cable ways to mountain tops on I believe on the really expensive Jungfraubahn.

anyways check out these superb IMO sources for lots about Swiss trains and passes and alternatives like the Half-Fare Card, Swiss Transfer Ticket, Swiss Card or Jungfraubahn Pass - www.swisstravelsystem.com; http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 07:16 AM

If traveling in September then there may well be a 2 for the price of 1 Swiss Pass deal - just like there has been the past few years - for travel in September and October - 2 for 1 and kids under 16 get a free pass as noted.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 07:32 PM

London is catnip for kids - with the Imperial War Museum, Tower, Science Museum, nearby castles, Cabinet War Rooms - no way you should do one very travel-logged day there.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM

We traveled often (sometimes for work) to all of the places you mentioned except Iceland (and a different part of Switzerland) with our boys when they were the ages of your kids, just not all at once. I think if you add extra days to certain destinations, you will have a good balance for a first trip.

I would add two days to London (and maybe do a day trip to Stonehenge). Do NOT cut out Paris or Rome - Kids love iconic landmarks (make sure all have cameras) and will go crazy for the pizza, pasta and gelato in Italy. They should not miss the Eiffel Tower, Colosseum, etc. and neither should you! Pisa is a fun 1/2 day stop, and you can also go biking in Lucca on the same day.

Make sure to include the Lido near Venice for beach time (different from Aussie beaches)..and definitely some soccer (football) matches.

We took the train from Lucerne to Venice (changing in Milan), a big hit with the kids. You can do it in the opposite direction.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 04:24 AM

You should be able to fly from Iceland to Luxembourg or Paris or maybe even London.
DON"T drop Paris--or Rome. Not 'liking' cities isn't the same as visiting the premier European capitals for their architecture, culture, museums. Maybe the children WILL like cities in their adulthood. A couple of days in Venice is enough.
I'll repeat what I said about switzerland--you have it down under, and you will have spent that time in Iceland also. Don't have to omit it, but perhaps a shorter time. We spent a few days in Zermatt with our children and enjoyed it. They could ski on the glacier (in June).
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Also consider Lascaux II. I found it rewarding, as an armchair/backseat geologist, driving from the Mediterranean to Paris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -