trouble with tgv reservations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to make reservations for a round trip, Paris to Strasbourg, for December 12 on the tgv-europe site. Last week, I used an earlier date to checked prices and had no trouble.

Yesterday and today on tgv-europe, sncf and rail europe sites, I get the message that there is no train to match my request for either December 11 or 12. I tried changing the destination (Reims) just to see what would happen and received the same message.

Is anyone else having difficulty booking? I'm hoping it is a computer glitch with the system and not a real lack of service those dates.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:51 AM

Wait a few days and try again. For many TGV routes you can't book more than 3 months in advance. Avoid RailEurope unless it shows a cheaper fare than the SNCF or TGV websites, which is usually doesn't and it often doesn't show all the available trains.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I am within the 90 days to book and only tried Rail Europe to see if I got the same message. Will just keep trying.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 02:20 AM

Before you use RailEurope check the official websites first. Use www.voyages-sncf.com (in French) or its English language companion site www.tgv-europe.com.

If you use the www.tgv-europe.com website don't forget to uncheck the box marked "Direct Trains" to see all possible options. If the TGV site redirects you to the RailEurope website then try again and enter "Antarctic" as your ticket collection country. Other countries may also work but just try to find a country that doesn't get you redirected to RailEurope. The RailEurope website often doesn't show all the trains and generally has higher prices but you can check just to compare. For trains that require reservations you can buy tickets up to 3 months or more in advance and the earlier you buy them the cheaper they will be. The discounted tickets are known as PREM tickets but these are non-refundable and can't be exchanged.

Here is a website that will tell you how to navigate the TGV website:

http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

An excellent website to learn all about train travel in Europe is www.seat61.com.

I was just on the TGV site and the 11th of December trains aren't being shown. It is only showing dates up until the 8th of December.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, again. I've used the websites many times, though never RailEurope. They obviously are a few days late loading the information for the dates I want. I usually try to book 3 months out to get the PREM tickets.....maybe they've gone to 90 days instead of 3 months.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 03:50 AM

Hi Judy,

Some rail systems (German, Swiss) change over to their winter schedule on 12 Dec. Schedules for or after that day are not valid until after they actually update the schedules for the time period.

When that happens, you just have to wait until the rail folks have finished updating and posting the winter schedules. The good thing is that the sale fares probably won't be sold out because no one has had a chance to get to them!

So, that *may* be the same thing happening with the French.

Hope you work it out!

s
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, FrenchMystiqueTours and swandav2000, I just need to learn to be more patient!! I always mark my calendar for 3 months out and book so was surprised it didn't work this time.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM

There isn't any reason you need to buy those tickets today, that is a long way off, PREM or not. I never buy PREMs that far in advance.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM

If you'd like to get an email from SNCF to notify you the day before sales open for your train, you can request an "alerte résa" -

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/services...te-reservation
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

I'm aware that getting these tickets 3 months before the trip is not an emergency. I tend to be forgetful at times and am frequently planning 2 or 3 trips at once. It is just easier for me to choose an arbitrary date (3 months from trip), put it on my calendar and book it. MaineGG, I did not know about the reminder service from SNCF.....might be easier than putting it on my calendar on my phone.

I was just surprised that I couldn't reserve. I makes sense that the train schedule has just not been put into the computer yet.