cheap air fare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap air fare

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...ce-on-airfare/

a few questions on the article:

"Prices are at their lowest between 18 to 28 days prior to your trip, she says, and is your magic window to book.
Domestic fares are lowest 21 days before departure"

I havent found that to be true. In fact, I saw no difference in prices if I book 3 months ahead, or 1 week.

"Overnight flights can be good bargains"

sounds good. and you dont lose a whole day in flight.

"Buying two one-way tickets from different airlines may be cheaper than a round-trip ticket"

strange, I have never tried it; but will check it out. Anyone done that?
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 02:33 PM

The "21 days before departure" is BS. There are no hard and fast rules~purchasing airfare is always a gamble, IMHO.

Overnight flights CAN be good bargains IF you're someone who can sleep on a plane. Otherwise, you arrive at your destination dead tired.

Two one way tickets from two different airline can be less expensive~I have done this.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:12 AM

I booked a biz class fare from Syd to Cairo with Malaysian Airlines as I wanted to go through KL. The KL to Cairo legs when booked through Malaysian would of been a codeshare with Qatar Airways. The travel agent found fares that were cheaper to book with Malaysian to KL then KL to Cairo with Qatar. I guess it is possible.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We book one ways on different airlines often, such as Delta heading east, then American returning west. We only do this if it's cheaper and that occurs a lot.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 07:38 AM

"Buying two one-way tickets from different airlines may be cheaper than a round-trip ticket"

I use Kayak a lot and their site includes these in their results. (I think they call them "hacker" fares.) We are going to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and got a cheap flight this way.

My only concern is that if fares drop significantly, I wouldn't be able to get the lower fare (unless, of course, the lower fare applied to a one-way flight)