Short trip to Outer Banks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be flying in to Greenville, NC mid Nov. for a short trip over to the Outer Banks. We will arrive on Thursday afternoon and have thought about driving to the Nags Head area for the first night and then work our way south to Beaufort and then back in to Greenville for our evening flight home Sun. We will just stop along the way and see things as we go. I know we will probably want to see the Wright Brother museum and a lighthouse. Would like to spend time in Ocracoke---have heard that it is unique place. We might have time to see wild horses, but I know that that is farther north. What are some things we must make time to see and maybe some suggestions on where to stay. We are 50 and very laid back, like non-touristy type places, like to eat where the locals eat, and we like B&B's. We also like to walk on the beach. How is the weather usually in Nov.?
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I would love some suggestions on lodging in Beaufort and Ocracoke. Thanks
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I slept a couple of nights in a tent on Okracoke but never in November. Expect a few surf fishermen and a chilly breeze to gale force winds. If it is operating take the toll ferry from Okracoke to Cedar Island. There is an old motel there but you should find much nicer places near Atlantic Beach and Morehead City. The famous lighthouse (moved to preserve) is Cape Hatteras. There is a short lighthouse at Okracoke which is/was next to a little restaurant.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Does the toll ferry stop operating during off season? Don't you have to make reservations for the Cedar Island ferry if it is operating? Can you make reservations the same day that you wish to take the ferry? Thanks again.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 06:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Make your reservation by calling 1-800-BY FERRY
The first ferry of the day leaves at 7:30AM.
http://www.outer-banks.com/ferry/
The ferries are a vital link to the Outer Banks and run 365 days a year (with exceptions for extreme weather).
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the ferry information.
Do you happen to know where the best place would be to see the wild horses we hear about in the Outer Banks area. I was thinking that they were only in the northern part, but was hoping that they might be in the southern area too.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corolla and north for the most part. You are not going to see any wild horses where there are a host of people and houses.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 02:58 PM

I heard on the radio this morning that the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke is not running on a regular schedule. Call the number on the website to make sure.

There are some wild ponies on the island across Taylor Creek from Beaufort. We stayed at Inlet Inn and could see them out the window.

http://inlet-inn.com/
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ferry information. I will check on that and will definitely check out the Inlet Inn.