Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre Day Trip from Pisa Organisation Help Needed

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to run out of time organising our 5 week trip to Spain and Italy which we leave for this Friday. I only have a few more days left so could really appreciate some help organising the details of a daytrip from Pisa to the Cinque Terre on Saturday the 15th of September 2012 for the two of us. Any extensive hiking is out of the picture as I have knee and feet problems.

So far I have booked the trains from Pisa Centrale to La Spezia however was only able to buy a ticket on the 11am train that arrives in La Spezia at 11.51 am and returning via La Spezia at 7.20 pm arriving at Pisa at 8.20 pm.

I don’t know what order to see the towns in nor how best to move between them such as boat or train. I have been struggling with their timetables. Would ideally like to take the boat for some of the trip and do want to walk the Via dell'amore trail between Manarola and Riomaggiore. Where to stop of a late lunch? Any help is appreciated!
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 04:48 AM

You can't count on the boat - the sea must be calm if it is to run. Do exactly as you have suggested. Take the train from La Spezia to either Manarola or Riomaggiore, walk to the other town, have a nice lunch and then, if you have time, train to Vernazza. If the boat is running, use that to get to Vernazza. Return to La Spezia by train to make your connecction back to Pisa.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Was there a reason you picked those train times? It seems you could have had much more time in the CT, even if your feet/knee problems would mean more time sitting in piazzas enjoying the views.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 10:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>So far I have booked the trains from Pisa Centrale to La Spezia however was only able to buy a ticket on the 11am train that arrives in La Spezia <<<

The reason you couldn't buy an advance ticket for an earlier train is the slow R train tickets are only available a week in advance online. The r trains don't have reserved seating and don't sell out. If your ticket is refundable/changeable, you can change to an earlier R train or get a refund. There is an 8:09 train departing Pisa and arrives La Spezia at 9:19. There are also return trains as late as 11 pm.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi there were very few tickets available so was stuck buying such a late departure however always thought that if some other earlier travel options became avail then would change or buy another ticket.

Thanks for the advice re organizing the day!
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:53 PM

You are misunderstanding. There are now and will always be tickets available on those earlier R trains because the seats are not reserved. You buy a ticket at the station and get on the next train. The tickets show as unavailable online not because they are sold out, but rather because they don't sell them online this far ahead of time.

At 7 days before the date you want to travel those R trains will show ticket availability. Even so, you should NOT buy them online. R train tickets bought at the station are good for ANY R train traveling between the two cities for a period of a few months. R train tickets bought online are for a specific train and window of opportunity and tricky to refund--too many restrictions to bother.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ellenem I did understand what you are saying and will look out for earlier departures and will buy the ticket at the station. Need to check if the ticket we bought in fact can be exchanged etc? The ticket was very cheap and hoped that we had the opportunity to travel earlier but was concerned as we wanted to travel on the Saturday there may be pressure on tickets SO worst case is we need to buy another ticket but will be worth it to spend longer in the CT Thanks for confirming this?

Does mamcalice's plan seem to be the consensus that is starting at Riomaggiore then to Vernazza (hoping that we can go by boat)and then also hopefully fitting Monterosso in. Finally, leaving Monterosso back to La Spezia. OR is the reverse better, ie starting at Monterosso? This will be more doable if we pick up these earlier train. Please advise.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The R trains on that route are just 6€.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kybourbon.

I have a further question - given we are travelling by train and hopefully by boat all in one day am I interpreting Rick Steves correctly by purchasing a CT Treno e Batello card but if no boats running then just to purchase the CT Treno card?

Any recommendations of which town and/or restaurant to stop and have lunch in?
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

ttt