Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will elevation cause breathing problems in Yellowstone? Yosemite?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to plan a trip with my son's family to Yellowstone or to Yosemite. However, my son has a lung condition that makes higher altitudes very difficult for him. (We live in Tucson, which is less than 3,000 ft. elevation.) We're not concerned about hiking--just driving or riding a shuttle to see the sights and relaxing somewhere nearby.
Can you tell us of any experiences you may have had with altitude in either park, and if you have a recommendation?

Thanks.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM

veramarie, I have been to both parks. I felt nothing at all in Yosemite. I did not know it was a high elevation. Yellowstone was a different story. The first day there my lips felt funny, I got short of breath easy, and I felt a little queasy. After day one I was fine, I would consult his doctor but in my opinion, he will be fine. I enjoyed Yellowstone more, but it is best enjoyed at a slow pace.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM
fb

The Yosemite Valley, where most people spend most of their time, is at 4000 feet, so should not be too different than Tucson. I believe the highest point that you can drive to is Glacier Point at 7400 or so feet, so you might have to skip that. We took my father-in-law there a few years before he passed away from emphysema - he did notice that he became short of breath easier than he did at home (sea level), but he took it easy and did fine.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As long as you stay in the Valley and don't go to Glacier Point or Tuolomne Meadows (8600 ft) and Tioga Pass (just under 10,000 feet) he should be fine at Yosemite
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 07:07 PM

I believe the altitude at the south entrance to Yellowstone is over 7,000 ft and some areas within the park are higher so it could be an issue. Perhaps you should speak with your son's primary care physician for advice.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I believe the altitude at the south entrance to Yellowstone is over 7,000 ft and some areas within the park are higher "

One doesn't have to enter from the south/hwy 41 (it is actually 6000 ft).

Hwy 140 in from the west parallels the Merced River so it is lower than any other entrance. Its highest point is when it reaches Yosemite Valley (4000 ft). And as mentioned above, while LOTS of areas w/i the Park are higher, the Valley isn't.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Yellowstone may be too high:

"The park sits on the Yellowstone Plateau, at an average elevation of 8,000 feet (2,400 m) above sea level."
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Hi veramarie!
I HATE to ever discourage anyone from visiting these wonderful places, but I will very strongly agree with the above suggestions to check with his doctor before a trip to Yellowstone. I live in one of the park's gateway communities, and can say that altitude related health issues are very real and very common in the park. The majority of the touring destinations in the park will be anywhere from 6000-9000 feet, as well as all in park lodging (Old Faithful is about 7300 feet, and I personally have seen health issues arise from both people who have problems with altitude as well as folks who have never experienced a problem in the past). I hate to sound like a downer, but I've seen it happen often enough that I must say Be Careful!
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 08:35 PM

Many years ago, I had a lung disease that ended up with my lungs being about 50% volume of 'normal'. Diffusion capacity about 40% of normal.

I definitely had a problem going over some of the higher roads. Very lightheaded and hard to breathe.

I'm guessing my current altitude limit is 5,000 feet.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Your replies are very helpful. Actually, he was in Yellowstone years ago, and although he's like to go again, I'm sure he would be just as happy to go to Yosemite. Funny, before I looked up the elevations, I was assuming that Yellowstone was lower--it just seems flatter, I guess.
Looks like we might go to Yosemite and if we take a drive to some of the higher points, let him enjoy lolling in the lowlands. And yes, he'll check with his doctor at any rate, but I thought I could get us on track by asking for first hand experience, and as usual the wonderful folks in this forum have come through.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 07:11 AM

You can settle the issue by just taking your son on a test drive up Mt. Lennon near Tucson. That will get you up to 9000+ feet. And if he has problems, you can quickly get to a lower altitude.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM

I agree, Yosemite Valley should pose no problem. My MIL had breathing issues and never felt them in the Valley.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 04:07 AM

Test drive vs doctor? Excuse me.

A test drive will give him a transient exposure; I would think that it might take 24 hours or more to develop symptoms.

Follow the doctor's advice, not the advice of a bunch of random strangers on the internet, me included.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:21 AM

Visiting Glacier Point would be transient exposure to 7,200 feet.

Leaving him in the lowlands is certainly something to consider, but maybe consider it to be a backup plan until you get more information. There may be no health risk at all.

A doctor-approved test drive sounds like a great idea.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 08:53 AM

"Breathing problems" is not a disease - it's a symptom of numerous different diseases - that can affect people completely differently.

IMHO the only sensible thing is to ask your son's doctor for very specific advice. Whatever you do - do not put him in a position where he will be at an elevated altitude for more than a few minutes (depending on the problem - this can be not only uncomfortable but also dangerous) for more than a few minutes without a way to very quickly gt back to the altitude he is used to.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 11:07 AM

>>A test drive will give him a transient exposure; I would think that it might take 24 hours or more to develop symptoms.

When you are not used to such high elevations, you actually experience symptoms pretty immediately. I have exercise induced asthma and follow a pretty rigorous exercise routine (CrossFit 4-5 times a week). I was fine in Yellowstone until we hit 8,000' at which point I became light headed, nauseated, and needed to use my asthma inhaler. We did the BearTooth Highway the same day and I was pretty miserable for a good 3 hours. Once we came down below 8,000', I felt better very quickly and absolutely felt fine 24 hours later.

Again - great suggestion to check with the doctor. And also just make sure he listens to his body as well and stop doing anything that is making him feel anything but his normal self.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Congestive heart disease is another bad thing to take to a high altitude.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM

I don't think you would have a problem at either place. But do ask a doc. What about even renting an oxygen tank, in the unlikely event something did occur at a higher altitude. If you were having breathing problems, it would be nice to have.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM

I went to yellowstone last summer and I did not feel anything(that might be because i am a swimmer). I would agree with some other people who said to ask your doctor because you never know
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Some people may have no problem with altitude (either if they live at high altitude or have excellent lung capacity). BUT, many people do - even people without lung issues can have serious problems, including altitude sickness.

I live at sea level and in Switz started to notice a difference about 7,000 feet. I didn;t feel anything when we arrived - but there was a very long flight of stairs to climb to a lookout - like 5 flights - and at the top I was gasping (and ordinarily climb 4 flights every day) but felt better as soon as I sat down again. After that I walked slowly rather than briskly.

The next trip we ascended the Jungfrau and definitely noticed the difference as soon as we got there - even before standing up in the train. Felt slightly lightheaded and started to develop a headache. Several people on the train with us (some older) took the train right back down they felt so ill. We went to the restaurant, had a drink (non-alcoholic) and snack and took an aspirin - and felt better. So we stayed for a couple of hours seeing the sights, but at a slow pace. This was over 12,000 feet and I can't imagine how someone with any sort of lung problem would function there at all. Although I know they have a ski school year round - but the skiers don;t stay in the valley - they stay in a town fairly high in the mountains - to get used to the altitude.

I don;t want to scare any one - but this can be a major health issue - esp for anyone with any sort of compromised lung function. They should not be cavalierly told to just go ahead to high altitudes.