Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you refer me to 4:30 am shuttle to CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realize when I chose our return flight to the US that we would have to get such an early shuttle to CDG. It wasn't until I went to reserve Bluvan (who we have used a few times in the past) that I realized we would be outside the regular hours and would have to pay a premium price to get to CDG. They are quoting me 71.50 euros for two people.

I am just wondering if my fellow Fodorites have some other suggestions for me. We are staying next door to Notre Dame.

Thank you.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM

I've stayed at the Hilton CDG several times. It helps to already be at the airport. This would take the stress out of getting to the airport.

We paid for an 'upgrade', which was essentially a larger room and access to the lounge. It may not seem like a deal until you have your evening meal there, drink whatever you want, and spend as much time there as you wish. We were both glad we chose that option.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM

How about a taxi? During the day, it would be about 50EU, but at that time I think you run on the expensive rate C so it might be around 60EU considering that you won't get stuck in traffic at that time. Ask your hotel or whatever is your local contact.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Our hotel booked us with a private driver for an early a.m. flight out of CDG. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact price but believe it was around 50 euro. It was a fixed price and even though he had to take a long, long detour enroute, the charge was the quoted price -- no extra -- and he got us there in plenty of time. The whole experience was much better than the usual taxi.
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:48 AM

I always call Taxis Bleu the night before (actually, I text them on my cell phone because you get a discount for doing so), and it costs me about 50 euro or less if there's little traffic.
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:13 AM

I would go with the taxi or airport hotel option.

Stayed at that Hilton several times when I have an EARLY flight and it's nice. If you want to really splurge the Shearton is suppose to be very nice. (I generally arrive too late to worry about food in the lounge and leave too early to worry about it then )
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:34 AM

If you are not taking the train back to CDG, I should consider a taxi as the only other consistently reliable option. I use Taxi G7 which I contact the day before an early CDG departure. I have an on line account with Taxi G7 but you can call them if you like:

Taxi G7
www.taxig7.com
TaxiG7 has an English speaking operator at:
01 41 27 66 99

_____

Taxi Bleu also has an English speaking operator at:
01 49 36 10 10
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:29 AM

Lots of people recommend the private Shuttle Inter. At a fixed rate of €55 to CDG, it's a good price when compared to other options.

http://www.shuttle-inter.com/homepage.htm
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your replies. I have rented an apt. so although I know that it sometimes makes sense to stay at an airport hotel, we will not be doing that as we are already committed to the apt.

I've thought about a taxi but figured it would be a lot more than during the usual business hours.60 euros doesn't sound unreasonable but would really like to have it all the shuttle set up ahead of time and would also like to know the price ahead of time.

I did get a reply for our date/time from a company called "Airport-Shuttle.com" and they quoted me 45.80 for two people at 4:30 am in a shared shuttle. I think that it is a great price (compared to Bluvan who I usually use) but want to know if anyone if familiar with this company. I always feel better hearing from others experiences.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Taxis are very reliable. At that time in the morning, if your shuttle does not show, quick backup options are very limited. Using a transportation option other than taxi, particularly one you are unfamiliar with, is risky. Ask yourself how important this flight is and is this really a good time to explore unknown transportation options?

Taxi cost should be near 50€ to 55€.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM

You can't take a train to CDG that early in the morning, assuming that means the RER. It doesn't run in the middle of the night (first departure is around 5 am). Same for Roissybus.

I think some shuttles will not even operate at those hours, but I would expect you'd have to pay premium rates, doesn't surprise me. You are going to pay more than normal no matter what you do, I think.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I am wondering what flight you are taking. There are very few flights to the U.S. very early in the morning and those that exist do not need a 3-hour check-in window -- the three hours is for "rush hour" for flights leaving between 11am and 3pm.

If you leave at 4:30, you will be at the airport by 5:00 when absolutely nothing is open and you would be lucky to even find a coffee machine.

If you are taking a connecting flight to another European city to get your flight to the U.S., you only need (at most) to be at the airport about 75 minutes before departure, because those flights all check in at a constant flow with a majority of business travellers with no baggage. Those people check in about 45 minutes before departure.
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac, we have a 07:30 am flight to Heathrow before catching a flight from there to LAX. So you think that it would be okay to leave later than 04:30 am?

With that said, I would probably feel more comfortable leaving no later than 05:00 am. With that said, I see the point in taking a taxi as a shuttle would most likely want to arrive earlier so that they can make other stops to pick people up.

I will check out taxi G7 and taxi bleu; Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I am back with another question:

I am staying right next to Notre Dame on the Ile De La Cite (Rue D'Ecole); I hear that there is a taxi stand right next to Notre Dame. Is this correct and do you think that there would even be any taxi's there so early in the morning?

If not, I have no problem setting one up beforehand but if they tend to be there already, seems like it would be just as easy to just walk over to the stand.

What do you think?
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM

A flight to London only requires an hour to check in. You are going to be so bored at the airport if you arrive at 5am!
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Or if you arrive at 5:30. Shoot for 6am.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac, so you think I will be okay to "leave" at 5:30 and should arrive by 6:00am?

And what are your thoughts on walking over to the taxi stand at that time to get a taxi or should I just reserve one beforehand?
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Two choices-

1. Reserve a taxi so that you'll know it is there and ready to take you.

2. Take the chance that there is a taxi at the stand or that Kerouac said there would be one.

Keep it simple- I'm pretty sure you want option 1.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:57 AM

The desk for checkin won't be open that early anyway. We arrived one time before it opened--I think maybe it was 6AM. Just a possibility, as others have suggested.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Probably best to reserve a taxi, although it didn't use to be as necessary in the old days -- but now there are more tourists and not that many more taxis.

I would not be surprised to have to pay about 60€, though. The "C" rate in effect at that time of day is a killer.

The G7 taxi site estimates the fare at 50 to 62€ at that time of day, but the site always underestimates the real price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -